Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

spinoff...is there a diffrence between hijab and other religious head covdrings?alao bible says you are go coved your head.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies
We always hear how muslim dress is opressing...what about other religious garb that is very modest and covers the head?
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Josie_P
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Nope, no difference...at least to me. I have to cover my hair when I go to church. I'm not being oppressed.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:43 PM
Ty for your veiw.

Quoting Josie_P:

Nope, no difference...at least to me. I have to cover my hair when I go to church. I'm not being oppressed.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:44 PM

I doubt sikh men feel oppressed.

Some islam countries do oppress women, so I think some have made the assumptions that hijab = oppression.  But it isn't necesarily true.  I had friends in high school that loves getting their covering.  

And now as an adult one of my adult friends has made the decision to use a nijab.  She made this choice, no one else.

ms-superwoman
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:49 PM

I don't see the difference.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:51 PM
I praise you, brethren, that ye remember me in all things, and keep the ordinances, as I delivered them to you. 3But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ isGod. 4Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head. 5But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven. 6For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered. 7For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man. 8For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man. 9Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man. 10For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels. 11Nevertheless neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord. 12For as the woman is of the man, even so is the man also by the woman; but all things of God. 13Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered? 14Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him? 15But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.16But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:52 PM
That is how all the muslim women are that i know.

Quoting Anonymous:

Some islam countries do oppress women, so I think some have made the assumptions that hijab = oppression.  But it isn't necesarily true.  I had friends in high school that loves getting their covering.  

And now as an adult one of my adult friends has made the decision to use a nijab.  She made this choice, no one else.

GirlWSemiAuto
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:52 PM
So long as it is the choice of the individual in question, I see nothing wrong or oppressive about covering one's head.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Groove
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:54 PM
I've talked to many muslim women and I could say at least 80% said that they made the decision to wear the hijab, that their men did not care. There are many sects of the muslim belief system. Some are more strict w the coverings, some aren't.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:59 PM
Just like all religions.

Quoting Groove:

I've talked to many muslim women and I could say at least 80% said that they made the decision to wear the hijab, that their men did not care. There are many sects of the muslim belief system. Some are more strict w the coverings, some aren't.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Religion through out history has always been something dictators and extremists have used to control the masses.

Take something the people love (faith)

Teach them a new point of view on the religion 

Forbid reading the original materials themselves and forbid/make impossible higher education

Use religion as a way to impose extreme laws 

Aaaaand dictatorship is born.  Not the first time in history or the last.

Unfortunately so many other cultures are ignorant of islam so do not undrestand it outside of what they see in the media (extremists and religious control)

I live in toronto in a mostly islam community and there are a lot of refugees here.  They are happy they can practice their religion in peace. Their TRUE religion not a bastardized version of it distorted to control and hurt. 

Quoting Anonymous:

That is how all the muslim women are that i know.

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)