• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

carseat question!

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:48 PM
  • 10 Replies
I always said I was going to keep ds rf until he was BOTH to heavy and too long... but. Did research and that said that is un safe... you are supose to keep rf until which ever one comes first.... :s
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JP-StrongForTwo
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Hey hon. 

If he outgrows the limit for height OR weight of the seat he is in, its time to find him a new seat. if he is too tall for the seat, it doesnt matter how much he weighs, its unsafe, and vice versa. 

at 1 years old, he can rear face much longer if you choose to. 

I would suggest a Britax marathon, or advocate. that will give him MUCH more room to grow and still be rear facing :) 

But if money is a factor, the Roundabout has slightly lower specs, but is cheaper. and will still keep him rear facing longer. 

good luck hon!! 

JasonsMom2007
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Yep once he outgrows the seat rf by height OR weight he must be turned around.  But you can always look into seats that will RF him longer if you want too :)

olliesmommy2
by Metal Awareness on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Im not sure the specific recommendations. But we rf our son untill he was 2 and 35 lbs in our Britax Marathon 70. It rf up to 40 lbs and ff up to 70.

Redwoods_Mama
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:38 PM

By hight, they mean his head at the back of the seat, not the length of his legs.  Just fyi.

Unrestrained/protected skull= bad news.  Siitting crosslegged= no big deal.

Hi_Rae
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:45 PM
This is all good information, but I have to disagree with the recommendation of the britax seats. While all wonderful seats, with awesome saftey features there are cheaper seats that she will be able to use rear facing for much longer, the graco My Size/ Size 4 me 70 for instance.

Quoting JP-StrongForTwo:

Hey hon. 

If he outgrows the limit for height OR weight of the seat he is in, its time to find him a new seat. if he is too tall for the seat, it doesnt matter how much he weighs, its unsafe, and vice versa. 

I would suggest a Britax marathon, or advocate. that will give him MUCH more room to grow and still be rear facing :) 

But if money is a factor, the Roundabout has slightly lower specs, but is cheaper. and will still keep him rear facing longer. 

good luck hon!! 

Mama_Dolly
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:48 PM
we have a safety first carseat. (we dont have a car so my parents have it if they want him to visit...)it can rf until 40lbs or 36"... and can ff until 65lbs and 52"...
JP-StrongForTwo
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:03 PM

OH graco is great too! sorry, i just really like britax lol. my DD was in a britax frontier until just this  year :P 

Quoting Hi_Rae:

This is all good information, but I have to disagree with the recommendation of the britax seats. While all wonderful seats, with awesome saftey features there are cheaper seats that she will be able to use rear facing for much longer, the graco My Size/ Size 4 me 70 for instance.

Quoting JP-StrongForTwo:

Hey hon. 

good luck hon!! 

JP-StrongForTwo
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Which saftey first seat is it? 

Quoting Mama_Dolly:

we have a safety first carseat. (we dont have a car so my parents have it if they want him to visit...)it can rf until 40lbs or 36"... and can ff until 65lbs and 52"...

Hi_Rae
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:05 PM
I dont blame you Britax are great seats! :)

Quoting JP-StrongForTwo:

OH graco is great too! sorry, i just really like britax lol. my DD was in a britax frontier until just this  year :P 

Quoting Hi_Rae:

Quoting JP-StrongForTwo:

Hey hon. 

good luck hon!! 

Mama_Dolly
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:21 PM

looks like this one, but is olive green and grey.... not sure of the model.. my mom has the book with the seat

Quoting JP-StrongForTwo:

Which saftey first seat is it? 

Quoting Mama_Dolly:

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers    

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)