Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

False memories of sex abuse in children?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies
Is it possible? I am talking about a child aged 6 when she says it happened.

She stated clearly that she only remembers what HER MOTHER says happened, and this would have been only a year ago. Her story is VERBATIM what her mother said happened to HER.

I am confused. I want to help sd, but if they ARE false, wouldn't it make things worse to encourage her?

I have not told my sd that I don't believe her. If it is true, I don't want to hurt her more....and I do believe that there is something going on...

She showed no warning signs, no signs of trauma, has no fear or anger toward the person she is accusing...

And she was within sight and sound of her father and I the entire time she says it happened.

I don't know what to think.

Please don't bash. I am looking for real advice on how to handle this. She is already in therapy.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:05 PM
I hope the therapy helps...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:05 PM
I don't know. I showed no signs and neither did my sister. However what I query is that she doesn't 'remember' anything outside what her mom said. Can you possibly elaborate?
Mazie0723
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:05 PM
Well if you were there the entire time and know that it didn't happen then she is lying. I assume the mom is planting these accusations in her head.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:08 PM

I didnt show ANY signs. some kids are really good at hiding that stuff but the fact she only remembers what her mom told her is a big red flag IMO

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:14 PM
She told us that the only things she remembers are what her mom told her happened, and that she did not remember anything happening before that.
She says it started happening right before she turned 7. She just turned 8. She says it was happening right up til last June, but that she didn't remember it until her mom took her on vacation and started "guessing" what happened..
She doesn't remember anything that doesn't relate directly to a question her mom asked hwr..ie. "Did he do this like this(vivid description), "

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't know. I showed no signs and neither did my sister. However what I query is that she doesn't 'remember' anything outside what her mom said. Can you possibly elaborate?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:17 PM
When she came back from vacation, she very animatedly described what she and her lom talked about, and said " Mommy pays attention to me now."
FL2AK
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:20 PM
If a parent puts the idea in their head and praises the child, gives then extra attention our buys them stuff yes it can happen.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
xtwistedxlovex
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Sounds like mommy dearest was planting things in her head. Some people are very easy to manipulate, and I think this would be especially true of children. I have no idea how you should handle it though; you should probably ask her therapist about that.

Quoting Anonymous:

She told us that the only things she remembers are what her mom told her happened, and that she did not remember anything happening before that.
She says it started happening right before she turned 7. She just turned 8. She says it was happening right up til last June, but that she didn't remember it until her mom took her on vacation and started "guessing" what happened..
She doesn't remember anything that doesn't relate directly to a question her mom asked hwr..ie. "Did he do this like this(vivid description), "

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:21 PM
Sounds like her mom planted things into her psyche by asking leading questions and so even if anything happened, her statements are now unreliable.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)