Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Proud to be an un-married mom? WTF

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 113 Replies

My co-worker has a daughter the same age as mine, 6. My friend got pregnant at 17 by a loser who was sentenced to 10 - 12 years for aggravated assault, kidnapping, B&E and theft. (he entered the home, bound and gagged the inhabitants, stuffed them all in a closet and ransacked the home.) He was sentenced 2 weeks after she gave birth prematurely. (side note - She had fraternal twins, the father beat her and she lost one, and had the other - her daughter - at 28 weeks.)

The other day, she was telling me that her daughter wanted to know why she "divorced" her bio dad. She said that she laughed and said "I didn't divorce him, we were never married. You don't have to be married to have a kid." And she was laughing about it!

I would NEVER tell my young, impressionable daughter that you don't have to be married. I was FLOORED that she made light of the situation. But I guess when you make the decisions that she's made in her life, telling your daughter that you can have sex, have babies without being married..... I just feel bad for her daughter.

Way to encourage her to follow in your pathetic footsteps.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
activitymode
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:04 PM
that whole story is just sad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sbreece
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:05 PM
This :(

Quoting activitymode:

that whole story is just sad.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:14 PM
21 moms liked this
You DONT have to be married to have a kid. I don't see anything wrong with her telling her daughter that! And pathetic footsteps??? What cuz she wasn't married??
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:15 PM
5 moms liked this
uhm, you DONT have to be married to have a kid.
you need to be committed to each other and raising a child in a loving home.

futureshock?
Gorilla_Mama
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:17 PM
6 moms liked this
So would you rather she lie to her child and say they were married and then lie again and say they got divorced? That's one of those lies you have to keep on lieing about like if the dd asks about the wedding etc.

While I wouldn't have laughed about it I don't see why telling her the truth is so awful?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:18 PM
2 moms liked this
I just had to explain to my kid that you don't have to be married to have a kid. One of his teachers recently got married at about 4 months pregnant and kids were saying it was a shotgun wedding. In an ideal world people do marry before procreating but I don't want him thinking she's only marrying because of an oops baby.
christina0607
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:19 PM
1 mom liked this

That honestly sounds like someone I would limit my time with.

redhead-bedhead
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:19 PM
1 mom liked this

She told her the truth. You don't have to be married to have a child.

Aamy
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:19 PM
5 moms liked this
Since whwn is telling the TRUTH to your kid a bad thing? She is CORRECT, you do NOT have to be married to have a baby.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JaQuan_Jayla
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:20 PM

I wouldn't tell my kids that..Even though I am unmarried (never been married)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)