Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Since its welfare day on CM. The answer may surprise you.

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:35 PM
  • 19 Replies

Poll

Question: ?

Options:

1-25 % use it temporarily, 75-99% are lifers

30-49% use it temporarily, 51- 75% lifer

50/50

50-75% use it temporarily, 25- 49% are lifer

75%-99% use it temporaily, 1- 25% are lifers

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 41

View Results

Answer. http://www.urban.org/publications/900288.html

A complete picture of time on welfare requires an understanding of two seemingly contradictory facts: the majority of families who ever use welfare do so for relatively short periods of time, but the majority of the current caseload will eventually receive welfare for relatively long periods of time.

In an "average" year, about one-half of the AFDC caseload leaves the welfare rolls.

The majority of families who leave the welfare system do so after a relatively short period of time -- about half leave within a year; 70 percent within two years and almost 90 percent within five years. But many return almost as quickly as they left -- about 45 percent return within a year and 70 percent return by the end of five years.

About 90 percent of those currently on the rolls will eventually spend more than 24 months on the welfare rolls and 76 percent will receive welfare for longer than five years.

So, in short. The majority of people use welfare benefits temporarily. 75-99% BUT, the majority of people on welfare AT ANY GIVEN TIME will continue to use benefits for a long period of time. 75-99% So the majority of of tax payer funded welfare benefits are going to those who use welfare as a "lifestyle".

AT ANY GIVEN TIME, the answer is 75-90% lifers. Over the history of welfare, its the opposite, 75-90% temporary.

WHat do you think the percentage is of people who are on assistance temporarily, vs the percentage of people who use it as "a lifestyle" as some of you say.

Or how many people use welfare as a safety net vs a hammock?

Exile Island. A fun place with colorful people. Join our fitness forum and participate in our fitness competition.

by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:36 PM
3 moms liked this
I thought it was "I fucked a celebrity raw" day. Damnit now my day is all confused.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:37 PM
That was yesterday. You gotta keep up!

Quoting Anonymous:

I thought it was "I fucked a celebrity raw" day. Damnit now my day is all confused.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I truly believe there are more lifers or on again/off again ones.

littlesippycup
by Baby T-rex Arms on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:39 PM

I picked option B because I know more people who abuse it than need it =(

thetrollcat
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:41 PM

every day is CM welfare day.

FL2AK
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:41 PM
50/50 and that is from working in the social service field for the last nine years.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
.Milfshake.
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:42 PM

it's always welfare day of CM, god forbid someone be original.

GirlWSemiAuto
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:42 PM
I believe it's about 50/50 people who are just on it temporarily because of bad circumstances and people who are using it as a lifestyle or just because they can. I don't spend much time thinking about either one, but I've met plenty of people who signed up for WIC or medicaid just because they qualify and it saves them money.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Luna091306
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I believe the majority only use it temporary but a small percentage are lifers.

babybelly25
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Everyday is welfare/PA day!! & abortion day & married vs. unmarried day & circ vs. uncirc day & BF vs. FF day & don't forget the car seats!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)