Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dyslexia????

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:59 PM
  • 8 Replies

Does anyone know anything about recognizing dyslexia in pre-school aged children? I ordered a book on it but it likely won't be here for a couple of weeks. I had a meeting with my oldest's speech therapist the other day and she said he really isn't making a lot of progress. For some reason he has a really hard time putting words together. He's also struggling with recognizing colors and shapes and tends to count backwards instead of forwards. I'm setting up a meeting with his teacher next week to see what she thinks but I thought I might be able to get some insight here, first. He's almost 4 and still can only put 3 or 4 words together and it's still rare he puts more than 2 together on his own.

If anyone has any experience with this I'd appreciate your knowledge.

by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
saucymama519
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Bump

saucymama519
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:07 PM

No one?

irvinehiker
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:10 PM

I have a child who did not talk well until he was 4(early).  He does have mild autism.  I would not worry yourself crazy about this.  You are doing the research and getting him the help he needs.  My son is 9 now and talks CONSTANTLY.  Sometimes, honestly I just need him to be quiet lol!

unusualmom
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:13 PM

My daughter is dyslexic.  I think he is young.  I wouldnt worry about it yet.  just keep being a good mama and working with him at home.

vgmomof2grtkds
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:16 PM

http://www.dyslexiavictoriaonline.com/inofdy.html

My daughter's teacher sent me this website yesterday. She thinks my dd might be dyslexic. It is a great read! I also wanted to mention, some of the things listed for younger children described my dd at that age. She is almost 12.

cryssi_renee
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:16 PM

I'm Dyslexic and I wasn't diagnosed until I started reading. So at about 6. Now I don't think they diagnose kids until later than that now.  I talked early and talked well. Reading words and numbers is when I had trouble. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:21 PM

my DD is left handed...and she has some problems with writing and understanding a lot of stuff as far as counting, and stuff like that but my DS speical ed teacher told me they wouldnt even attempt to address it until she is in the 2nd grade.

i just keep working with her..she understands it if i spell it out for her and she copies it but having her write it out by herself is impossible cause  everything is backwards.

saucymama519
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Most of those describe him to a T... Especially the needing to be literal.

Quoting vgmomof2grtkds:

http://www.dyslexiavictoriaonline.com/inofdy.html

My daughter's teacher sent me this website yesterday. She thinks my dd might be dyslexic. It is a great read! I also wanted to mention, some of the things listed for younger children described my dd at that age. She is almost 12.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)