Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

PA and Christians

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 113 Replies
11 moms liked this

Proverbs 14:31

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God.

Romans 15:1-2

We who are strong ought to bear with the failings of the weak and not to please ourselves.  Each of us should please his neighbor for his good, to build him up.

Deuteronomy 15:7-8

If there is a poor man among your brothers in any of the towns of the land the Lord your God is giving you, do not be hardhearted or tightfisted toward your poor brother, rather be openhanded and freely lend him whatever he needs.

James 2:15-17

Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food.  If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed", but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it?  In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Ok...you posted some scripture.. I'm assuming that you are telling Christians that they are wrong if they oppose Public Assistance?? 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13 

SRUsarahSC
by Platinum Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:43 PM
13 moms liked this

I donate time, food, and clothes to my church's pantry, because I choose to and I want to. Forcibly taking money out of my paycheck to give to someone else is not exactly "charitable giving" since it's not a choice, though.

kdjdod081013
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:44 PM

The Scripture she posted ae talking about helping those in need. A Christian is called upon to help and ber witness to those in need. And this includes daily physical needs.

Quoting mcginnisc:

Ok...you posted some scripture.. I'm assuming that you are telling Christians that they are wrong if they oppose Public Assistance?? 

teal.blaze
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Your last verse is about faith, not charity.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:47 PM

It uses a lesson about charity to teach a lesson about faith.  It is still about charity.

Quoting teal.blaze:

Your last verse is about faith, not charity.

illinoismommy83
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:47 PM
12 moms liked this

Yeah! Let's go... bible verses!

Proverbs 13:4

The soul of the sluggard craves and gets nothing, while the soul of the diligent is richly supplied.

2 Thessalonians 3:10-12

For even when we were with you, we would give you this command: If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat. For we hear that some among you walk in idleness, not busy at work, but busybodies. Now such persons we command and encourage in the Lord Jesus Christ to do their work quietly and to earn their own living.

mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Quoting kdjdod081013:

The Scripture she posted ae talking about helping those in need. A Christian is called upon to help and ber witness to those in need. And this includes daily physical needs.

Quoting mcginnisc:

Yes.. I'm very much aware what the Scripture represents since I'm a very devout Christian.. I wanted clarification from the OP before I posted my thoughts..

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13 

CampClan
by Platinum Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:48 PM

I thought she was going to say something like Christians should be on PA! 

Quoting kdjdod081013:

Quoting mcginnisc:

illinoismommy83
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:49 PM
3 moms liked this

Proverbs 14:23 

In all toil there is profit, but mere talk tends only to poverty.

Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, O sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise. Without having any chief, officer, or ruler, she prepares her bread in summer and gathers her food in harvest.

Proverbs 12:24

The hand of the diligent will rule, while the slothful will be put to forced labor.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-12

And to aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:50 PM

But a Christian is glad to give to her fellow man and shouldn't consider the tax money that the gov't allocates for PA as a bad thing.

Quoting SRUsarahSC:

I donate time, food, and clothes to my church's pantry, because I choose to and I want to. Forcibly taking money out of my paycheck to give to someone else is not exactly "charitable giving" since it's not a choice, though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN