• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cleaning their plates?

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:59 PM
  • 57 Replies
At a meal do you expect your kids to "clean" their plates? I don't. DH and I have taught our kids to "eat until their full," but amongst our friends we seem to be the minority. My kids know they have to respect other people's rules at other people's houses but I always make their plates small (assuring them they can get seconds) and feel sad for the kids being forced to eat more than they're hungry for.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Motherof3inNJ
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 4:04 PM

No, I don't force them to eat more when they are full. When DF and I got together he was surprised I didn't make them eat every bite and I explained  I think eating till you are full can lead to obsecity problems later on in life. 

jillbailey26
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 4:04 PM

I don't expect them to clean their plates.  If they're full, they're done eating.  If they eat it all and want something else, they're allowed to have it.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 9, 2013 at 4:04 PM
I agree. DH & I agreed that we wouldn't make DD a member of the Clean Your Plate club. We both had to do it when we were young and DH's parents even had him sit at the table for hours until he ate everything on his plate. We both said we never want food & eating to be a battle in our house.
flowersbane
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Everyone is obese in my family and has this mentality.  My son was taught to eat his fill, no more.

MooseMomma
by Platinum Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 4:05 PM

I grew up being forced to finish my plate, and I feel that my problems with protion control stem to that.  I give my son small portions and then let him have more if he wants (mind you he's only 8.5 months old right now). I figure seconds are easy to do.

(BBC=mrscorbin924)
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
atyou
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 4:06 PM
Never.
AngelRT
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 4:07 PM

YES I do b/c I dont serve them more than they should be eating and I serve them very well balanced healthy clean meals. If they do not clean their plate then they will not be getting a snack or dessert. 

DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on Mar. 9, 2013 at 4:07 PM
Well, yes and no. I give them tiny portions and make them eat all of it. If they want seconds, they don't have to finish them. I'm teaching them to eat until they're satisfied.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meaganmac
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 4:07 PM
I don't make my kids finish but if they don't eat much and then complain in half an hour or an hour that they're hungry, I warm up what they left on their plate and they get that.
armyvet06
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 4:07 PM
I do not force dd to clean her plate. She eats until she is full.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)