Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Was it in poor taste to anounce the gender of our baby?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 28 Replies
1 mom liked this

I have posted on here before about my situation. Long story shorter, we found out that I am pregnant when SIL was 13 weeks along, right before I was 8 weeks, SIL lost her baby. We didn't really know how to go forward at that point because we had not told anyone about the pregnancy yet. Anyway, it is 2 months later and every time SIL is around, no one talks about the pregnancy at all. I will be in the middle of a conversation with a family member about the baby and if SIL walks in the room, the conversation is dropped.

We announced it on facebook and everyone was really excited.There was a family gathering for DH's uncle's birthday that night. We went over and all anyone wanted to talk about was that they were so excited that it's a girl. It was nice to finally have the family show some excitement about the baby. Anyway, SIL got upset and MIL feels that it was in poor taste for us to announce the gender on facebook right before the party because we should have known that if we announced it that day, it would be knew info and that is all anyone would want to talk about.

DH told MIL that we have be sensitive to SIL but at the same time, we are allowed to be excited and share news about our baby. At some point, the world is going to have to stop revloving around her

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
proudmommy690
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:13 PM
6 moms liked this
No. It's your baby and you have every right to talk about it. What's gonna happen when she's born? You never gonna be allowed around SIL?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KristenFowles
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:13 PM

It sucks that she lost her baby..  But you didn't.  

You shouldn't have to dance around or feel guilty of your own pregnancy.  Your MIL and SIL are going to have to get over it.  Her tragedy shouldn't put a rain cloud over your baby.  

There is no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one.

SpnFulOfSugar
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:14 PM
This exact same thing happened with my sister and I with my first and third pregnancy. She was pregnant at the same time and lost both pregnancies. We handled the situation delicately around her but continued to celebrate and enjoy our pregnancy. It's a very difficult situation. 2 years later she still has problems being around my kids.
Sekirei
by Sevrsaxhtharxxa on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:14 PM

^^what they said

vivi_la_juicy
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:15 PM
1 mom liked this
What she said...

Quoting proudmommy690:

No. It's your baby and you have every right to talk about it. What's gonna happen when she's born? You never gonna be allowed around SIL?
CookieMom108
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:15 PM

I agree with you.

Master_Debater
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:16 PM
I agree with you and your husband. What do they expect you to do when she's born? Keep her locked away and hidden?!
LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:16 PM
You have every right to be excited abut your child. You have every right to announce it on fb if you choose to.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alyssaravensmom
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:17 PM
As sad and heart breaking as it is that she lost her baby, they can't expect you not to be happy about your child.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BEXi
by BEXi on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:17 PM

I think you handled it well!! You gave her time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)