• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My house smells like cat piss.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies

Okay not the whole house but the upstairs bedrooms. The walls are knotty pine(with paint over them) and it smells like cat piss. Not as strong and disgusting but deff a hint of cat piss.

I don't know what to do. I've tried scrubbing the walls with wood cleaner and it still hasn't worked.

Any tips?

ETA: I don't *think* the problem is cat pee. We don't have cats and the previous owners lived here for almost 25 years(they are family friends) and they never had a cat. I was just trying to describe the smell a bit lol

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Katalystic
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Black light- it is your friend.

Unfortunately, it may also scar you for life, but cat urine will light up with a black light.

SunshineBird
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:33 PM
1 mom liked this

If you go to a pet store they have a product called Nature's Miracle. It will break down the pee with natural enzymes....you'll just have to let it soak into the wood a little bit. I hate the smell of cat pee!!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Quoting Katalystic:

Unfortunately, it may also scar you for life, but cat urine will light up with a black light.

lol I don't think there really is cat pee up there...it just the smell. We don't have a cat nor did the previous owners.

Katalystic
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:36 PM

It may show you where the residual whatever is up there then. Worth a try!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Katalystic:

lol I don't think there really is cat pee up there...it just the smell. We don't have a cat nor did the previous owners.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:37 PM
Do you have ammonia somewhere upstairs?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:39 PM

spray it with vinegar the smell will be covered up. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Do you have ammonia somewhere upstairs?

Nope.

Sarafinn2012
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Go to a pet store and buy some disinfectant. Try vinegar and water in a spray bottle too (it neutralizes the amonia in the cat pee). If it is possible, spray it and leave it soak for a little bit so it can penetrate the wood, as long as you think it won't warp it or ruine it. White distilled vinegar mixed 50/50 with bottled water. Maybe that will help?

Sarafinn2012
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Oops. Didn't read this far until now. Sorry. I suggested vinegar, but now I'll suggest repainting! :) Hopefully that would help,

Quoting Katalystic:

It may show you where the residual whatever is up there then. Worth a try!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Katalystic:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:43 PM
Vinegar plus hydrogen peroxide. If you're like me and are allergic to vinegar mix borax and dawn with a bit of baking soda:-)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)