Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dog showing????

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 43 Replies

I know this is not the right group to post this, but I wanted to go anon.

I have always wanted to get into the dog showing world, but the more research I do the more I dislike it. I have been reading about how most of the show breeders are just breeding "Pretty" animals, dogs that cannot do the jobs they were bred to do. I do not know if this is right or not, but I want opinions on this. I mean what good is it to breed for a dog to look pretty in the ring, if it can't go out in the field and herd, retrieve, etc??

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sadiebug1228
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:52 PM
I worked as a handler for a little while for a lady I knew that showed dobermans and Dalmatians. All of her dogs enjoyed playing outside and playing fetch. They also all very much enjoy going to competitions their faces light up every time they step in that ring
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:55 PM

I bet they are happy dogs, what I am asking is if most reputable breeders are breeding to "Improve" the breed, how is that improving it?

Quoting sadiebug1228:

I worked as a handler for a little while for a lady I knew that showed dobermans and Dalmatians. All of her dogs enjoyed playing outside and playing fetch. They also all very much enjoy going to competitions their faces light up every time they step in that ring

sadiebug1228
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:56 PM
I guess it shows the beauty of the breed. And it shows what the perfect dog looks like in their breed. That's a hard question to answer lol I was 13 when I handled the dogs I loved it lol

Quoting Anonymous:

I bet they are happy dogs, what I am asking is if most reputable breeders are breeding to "Improve" the breed, how is that improving it?

Quoting sadiebug1228:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blessedbyGod141
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:58 PM
We show mastiffs and yorkie terriers. I LOVE it. You will either love it or hate it. It is a lot of politics and hard to get into. The sporting group or working group are good with their jobs. If you are not good with grooming get a short hair dog. Most cities have a dog show class to help you. Any questions just ask.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:59 PM

lol I know what you mean, I have just wondered for awhile now.

Quoting sadiebug1228:

I guess it shows the beauty of the breed. And it shows what the perfect dog looks like in their breed. That's a hard question to answer lol I was 13 when I handled the dogs I loved it lol

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting sadiebug1228:

blessedbyGod141
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:02 PM
They improve the breed bc a reputable breeder will do health testing. They will breed to the standard of AKC. They are extremely picky about what they breed and who they give their pups too with promising to have them fixed.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Thanks!! But that does not answer my question lol

Quoting blessedbyGod141:

We show mastiffs and yorkie terriers. I LOVE it. You will either love it or hate it. It is a lot of politics and hard to get into. The sporting group or working group are good with their jobs. If you are not good with grooming get a short hair dog. Most cities have a dog show class to help you. Any questions just ask.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Ok... I get the part about the health testing and all, i think that is great. But what about the breeds that have been bred to work in the first place, but after the years of breeding to be AKC standard but the drive, body structure has been changed to have a nice dog in the show ring. I have seen dogs that are not right for the akc standard, but parents have been health tested and really selective breeding have taken place to better the breed as a working dog not a show dog. KWIM

Quoting blessedbyGod141:

They improve the breed bc a reputable breeder will do health testing. They will breed to the standard of AKC. They are extremely picky about what they breed and who they give their pups too with promising to have them fixed.

Crymsm
by Platinum Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:10 PM
I saw how a breeder had those mountain dogs that pull carts and she let her dogs do that and also show them. Poodles showing how good of water dogs they are and so fourth.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
blessedbyGod141
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:11 PM
Part of the AKC standard is for the dog to have whatever ability it was bred for. For instance, our mastiff are great on our farm and are wonderful protectors and our yorkies will chase anything in the yard and are great lapdogs. Lol a breeder doesn't have to still do the job they were bred for but they should still want too. A mastiff shouldn't be scared and timid. A yorkie shouldn't be scared of a rat.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)