Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

She made my Gram cry :(

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:56 PM
  • 35 Replies

So I know everyone lives differently.  You marry and gain a new lifestyle or have different cultures/backgrounds come together.  It happens all the time.  My cousin is getting married.  She was the youngest of my cousins, her sister and I were a few years older.  We played all the time.  They grew up very conservative. That has drastically changed. Shes getting married to a man that live in Alabama. His family lives very comfortably. When they move in together I can only assume that his family will expect to see their house furnished to show the finer things that they have.  Well she doesnt HAVE finer things.  She made her registry for Pottery Barn and Bed Bath and Beyond. I just so happened to get my shower invite first and knew the shit storm that was coming. Her cards said "Preferred gifts come from Pottery Barn" then a separate card saying she was at B3.  (is that how the cards from pottery barn come or just how she put it? I passed it off to my gram that its probably how they make them, not her choice.)  As soon as she got her card she became sad.  She saw those two cards and just said "Why would she do that?" Our family isnt upper class.  Were all hard working families.  Only one of my grams kids are well off and that fell in her lap.  My gram was so sad, she knew she wouldnt be able to buy most of the stuff off that list.  I know she wants to get her something special for her to remember her.  Im going to buy the gift and put my grams name on it first then add mine,( like she bought it and Im just tagging on)  I hate to see that disappointment in my grams eyes.  It kills me.

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:58 PM
Sorry :( some people just get selfish and forget where they came from.
lovelife350
by Platinum Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I think its kind of rude that she was asking for gifts on her invites

o.O....
by Cara on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:03 PM
His family will probably be able to afford nicer gifts. I'm sure they sent the same registry info to everyone who was invited. I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
horseap
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Sorry :( some people just get selfish and forget where they came from.

She came from a family of 5 kids, SAHM who homeschooled, father out working hard living paycheck to paycheck. I get registering at two places that way you cover all price points. But she didnt ASK for cheap things. Im talking 125 dollar silverware sets.  72 dollar wine glasses 60 A PIECE pillowcases.  2000 for a sofa slip cover, a king size sleigh bed (they wouldnt list a price online).  Its crazy.   By the time my gram gets her SS check it will be 2 days until the shower.  All the cheap things will be GONE.  Im not buying something for my cousins sake, Im doing it for my gram.

horseap
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Quoting o.O....:

His family will probably be able to afford nicer gifts. I'm sure they sent the same registry info to everyone who was invited. I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill.

His family is from Alabama... I dont think that theyre ALL going to fly up here just for a shower when it would be easier to have one down there for his side :/ 

Roxygurl
by Sapphire Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:10 PM
My cousin did something similar and 5 years later there is still anamosity.

He and his bitch made sure they registered for nothing less than 1000 fucking bucks! Nothing. It was all pottery barn shit. 3000 for a damn night stand, and of course they wanted 2 and the matching bed.

I'm sorry for your grandma and I'd do something similar to what yours planning on doing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlesippycup
by Baby T-rex Arms on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:10 PM

It's not mandatory to get her gift from there...I would just do the best I could and make sure lots of love was involved. That would have to be enough. Hugs for your gram =(

Butterfly1108
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:14 PM

That's terrible but you have a great idea. Your cousin is just not thinking straight.

horseap
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Quoting Roxygurl:

He and his bitch made sure they registered for nothing less than 1000 fucking bucks! Nothing. It was all pottery barn shit. 3000 for a damn night stand, and of course they wanted 2 and the matching bed.

I'm sorry for your grandma and I'd do something similar to what yours planning on doing.

She registered to furnish her whole damn house! The bed and slip cover were kickers. She asked for arm chairs that were 1500(2 of them, FFS you cant just have 1!) coffee table nightstands a dresser OH get this she asked for kitty litter box liners(this is from B3) 13bucks and a Kurger(sp?) cofee maker then registers for4 types of kcups!  Im not buying your ass coffee and liners for cat shit.  Id rather shred the 13 bucks and it can poop on that, talk about throwing away money!

Roxygurl
by Sapphire Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:22 PM
Yup, my cousin did the same thing. Hell they registered for a TV and their damn honeymoon as well.

The kicker is they had already bought a house and were living in it for 3 years before they got married. They just wanted NEW things.

Quoting horseap:

Quoting Roxygurl:

She registered to furnish her whole damn house! The bed and slip cover were kickers. She asked for arm chairs that were 1500(2 of them, FFS you cant just have 1!) coffee table nightstands a dresser OH get this she asked for kitty litter box liners(this is from B3) 13bucks and a Kurger(sp?) cofee maker then registers for4 types of kcups!  Im not buying your ass coffee and liners for cat shit.  Id rather shred the 13 bucks and it can poop on that, talk about throwing away money!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)