• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Scratched cornea

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:47 PM
  • 15 Replies

Ok so I fell asleep with my contacts in and scratched my cornea. Omg hurts like heck !! Yesterday driving to the drugstore to get my antibiotic drops Dr. prescribed me... the tears were running down my face (just from that eye) and both eyes were crossing lol ... thank God today it feels much better but still looks nasty. Any suggestions to help with this ? I am not sure if I can use drops to take the red out or not. 

by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ColieO
by Emerald Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:50 PM
Oh man. I had that happen and it turned into an ulcer. Steroids and antibiotic drops. I didn't dare to use anything else. I know I'm not very helpful lol. The majority of the pain will be gone within a couple days though. Mine just felt a little sore after that for a few more days until it was healed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cochise
by Dawn on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Thanks ...  I don't want this to ever happen again... dang I didn't know my eye could hurt this bad.  Dr said don't use contacts again for at least five days. I am afraid at this point to ever use them again lol 

Quoting ColieO:

Oh man. I had that happen and it turned into an ulcer. Steroids and antibiotic drops. I didn't dare to use anything else. I know I'm not very helpful lol. The majority of the pain will be gone within a couple days though. Mine just felt a little sore after that for a few more days until it was healed.

ColieO
by Emerald Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:57 PM
Just don't sleep in them lol.

Quoting Cochise:

Thanks ...  I don't want this to ever happen again... dang I didn't know my eye could hurt this bad.  Dr said don't use contacts again for at least five days. I am afraid at this point to ever use them again lol 

Quoting ColieO:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cochise
by Dawn on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:58 PM

You can bet I won't make that mistake again !! (:    Not good !! 

Quoting ColieO: 

Just don't sleep in them lol.

Quoting Cochise:

Quoting ColieO:

elephantmamaof2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Put an ice pack over the eye, it'll help with the redness and the pain! Been there, done that many times- hope it heals soon for you!

prissypoptart
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:58 PM
I am an optician. I see this a lot. I would stop with the contacts. Go to your OD (optometrist) office. If you have medical insurance it will be billed as a regular medical visit. They will, more than likely give you "blinks" I would wear your glasses for a while.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Cochise
by Dawn on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh yes... lots of blinking and tearing

Quoting prissypoptart:

I am an optician. I see this a lot. I would stop with the contacts. Go to your OD (optometrist) office. If you have medical insurance it will be billed as a regular medical visit. They will, more than likely give you "blinks" I would wear your glasses for a while.

JTnJT
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:04 PM
1 mom liked this

4 yrs ago I had 3 layers scratched off my L cornea....the doctor gave me what he referred too as a "band-aide contact"  it was like a regular contact (w/o a script) used to hold the skin flap down so it could "grow back".  I also was given antibiotic eye drops.  The contact stayed on for 2 days, and then he removed it.  I have had it tear back open twice.  One tip:  as hard as it is to remember, try to squeeze drops in the corner before you open that eye in the morning....your eyes can loose lubrication and dry out during the night, which can cause the scared area to "stick" to the inside of your eyelid. 

nursiepooLPN
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I did this last month. I got percocet, an antihistamine, and antibiotic.  The pain was so freaking bad.  I was driving all over the city at 4am trying to get my antibiotic and pain meds with only one eye open.  :(

I would just buy some over the counter antihistamine drops. The ones the doctor wanted me to have were over $100 so I didn't fill it.

Cochise
by Dawn on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:19 PM

It's crazy how bad an eye can hurt isn't it ?  Ouch ouch ouch !! 

Quoting nursiepooLPN:

I did this last month. I got percocet, an antihistamine, and antibiotic.  The pain was so freaking bad.  I was driving all over the city at 4am trying to get my antibiotic and pain meds with only one eye open.  :(

I would just buy some over the counter antihistamine drops. The ones the doctor wanted me to have were over $100 so I didn't fill it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)