Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How NOT to sell your vehicle::: UPDATE

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:02 PM
  • 3 Replies

Dh and I made a horrible descion to help some people out. They needed a jeep and we were looking to sell ours. We were told that there other adults in their home, and children, where they didn't have a vehicle that they desperatly needed. So we agreed they could take the vehicle and that we would be paid in about 2 1/2 weeks. Well, that date (2-14-2013) has come and gone. We finally were able to get ahold of them after zero communication and they tell us (2-4-2013) that they should be getting their tax return by Friday (3-8-1013). We were then told by one of their roomates who works for DH, that they sent him a text telling him that they won't be getting it for at least another six weeks. So I send her a text a little bit ago that says that because of that we will need our jeep back.

UPDATE:

We get a text back that says that she bought it for her exhusband (guess there were no kids involved,etc.) and that he has it and is refusing to give it back. He also lives a city over. She gave me his phone number, after texting and calling got nothing. Asking for more info.

UPDATE 2:

He called. He said that they are actually still married. She is saying they're divorced because she moved another man into their house, etc. That he was told when he got the jeep that it was from us, etc. HOWEVER, was told that there was a payment plan agreed by all parties. He said he's been giving her his paychecks (most of it) so that she can pay the car payments to us. I informed him this was SOOOOOO not true. That the original contract said we would be paid the full remaining amount in cash on Valentines Day 2013. That we didn't hear back from them until this last Monday when I told them I was going to report it as Stolen and that in this state, city, car value, etc. They were looking at two types of felonies and that didn't take into account the "deception" for breaking the contract, taking the vehicle beyond what we agreed, etc. and if they changed the liscnese plate, etc.

He apologized and explained he had know knowledge that's how it was, etc.. He asked if he gave the jeep back if we would do payement plan with him. I told him yes as long as he can put a down payement on it.

UPDATE 3:

We were suppost to meet later tonight. He said he would call back after he got a ride to get back home after it. Well I get a text from her asking if we would let him keep the jeep as it is his only vehicle and he needs it to get back and forth from work. She is begging me to do so because they have "4 kids". Well, I am all for helping people out - HOWEVER- they lied, took the car with no communication until I threatened with the police,. It's clear either she is lying to me, or he is lying to me, reguardless with these two stories, etc. I'm thinking it would not be in OUR best interest to do another contract with these people. :/ I dont want to leave the guy jobless though. >.< I dont know what to do.

by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
lmscm
by Bronze Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 3:43 PM
This is all so crazy. I agree with you about not wanting to do business with them. I would do whatever it takes to get it back and not deal with them anymore.
CampClan
by Platinum Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 3:50 PM
I would get references from him like any other car lot would do! And we all know these references are called if the buyer has forfeited on a deal & can't be reached! And request pay stubs or a letter from his employer regarding how much he gets paid & how often!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 10, 2013 at 4:16 PM
Bump
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)