Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am on foodstamps and....(not the average FS post)...

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:32 PM
  • 46 Replies
This is our first and last month on them. They are giving us $900 to last us. We are a family of 6, and I am very thankful for them...but I think it is too much ...personally. Anyway to my original point of this post. I need you ladies to help me make a grocery list. I want to get as much as I can when I go grocery shopping next week...so I can save on gas. We are used to paying cash for food and normally can not get a lot at a time. So ladies....tell me what to buy! :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
celestegood
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:36 PM
Staples are good to have.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KristenFowles
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:37 PM

No clue..   I go every twoish days, depending on the meals I'm making.

Good luck.

There is no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one.

LaughingCheetah
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:39 PM
Like?

Quoting celestegood:

Staples are good to have.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Buy lots of staples like flour sugar.  Also if you cook a lot stock up on spices.  If you use them also stock up on canned goods like veggies and soups.  And if you have room buy as much meat as possible and freeze it.

luckylinda2013
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:44 PM

I would really stock up on things you always need, like flour, sugar, coffee, tea, cornmeal, cereals, canned goods galore, if your family eats them, if you have a freezer, stock up meats, frozen veggies, don't be afraid or embarrased to buy a few treats  like ice cream and cokes, whatever.  Not everyone is judgemental, and incidently, in my state, you do not have to use them all at once, here, they give you a card to use, and the benefits are on there til you use them all up.  Just buy what you need and what your family eats, and don't worry about others, they might just need some help someday themselves!!!  If you're entitled to more months of benefits, don't be ashamed to accept them.  Good Luck.

UpstateAnnette
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Oatmeal in the bigest container you can find, you know the plain unflavored kind, makes good cheap breakfast.  Family sized sandwitch sliced bread hovevery many loaves you think you will need until you go back, you can always freeze what you won't use before it would go stale.    Whole chickens, beef roast whatever is cheapest, peantut butter, jelly,  for sandwiches,   apples and oranges will last up to two weeks in the fridge, bannanas for a week, potatoes, carrots, celery, onions chili makings,  Eggs are a good sorce of protein as well.  Good luck. 

LaughingCheetah
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:53 PM
Yeah ours will be on a card. We just got it today. My freezer is not very large but I am good at packing things. I cook a ton too...so yeah I completely forgot about my spices. We dont drink soda anymore....mostly OJ milk water tea coffee. And no we only got one month of them. We hit a bad spot and quickly applied. A day or two after we were approved...things got better. They said either way, we still get them for March. But not any longer. Another month would help, but it is not an immediate need.

Quoting luckylinda2013:

I would really stock up on things you always need, like flour, sugar, coffee, tea, cornmeal, cereals, canned goods galore, if your family eats them, if you have a freezer, stock up meats, frozen veggies, don't be afraid or embarrased to buy a few treats  like ice cream and cokes, whatever.  Not everyone is judgemental, and incidently, in my state, you do not have to use them all at once, here, they give you a card to use, and the benefits are on there til you use them all up.  Just buy what you need and what your family eats, and don't worry about others, they might just need some help someday themselves!!!  If you're entitled to more months of benefits, don't be ashamed to accept them.  Good Luck.

LaughingCheetah
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:54 PM
thanks.

Quoting UpstateAnnette:

Oatmeal in the bigest container you can find, you know the plain unflavored kind, makes good cheap breakfast.  Family sized sandwitch sliced bread hovevery many loaves you think you will need until you go back, you can always freeze what you won't use before it would go stale.    Whole chickens, beef roast whatever is cheapest, peantut butter, jelly,  for sandwiches,   apples and oranges will last up to two weeks in the fridge, bannanas for a week, potatoes, carrots, celery, onions chili makings,  Eggs are a good sorce of protein as well.  Good luck. 

babybelly25
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:54 PM

You don't have to use them all in one month. Get what you need.. stock up on what you can and save the rest for next trip out.

momof2891
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:58 PM
This. I stock up on canned stuff, cereal, meat, bread... Check for any sales at your local stores. Don't feel embarrassed to get treats also. Good luck and you don't have to use them all at one time.

Quoting luckylinda2013:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)