• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Went out to a restaurant

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 20 Replies
Last night. My brother has been in town and he was wanting to go out to eat with everyone before he left today. My autistic son was upset and he was screaming his head off. So I took him to the bathroom right as we were getting seated, I asked him if he could please calm down and take a deep breath. I said we're going to go eat and then we'll go home. He was fine said okay mama.

Well as we walked back to the table, just as I started to pull out a chair he started screaming like he was on fire! So I picked up my stuff and we went to sit in the car. Everyone was staring and giving dirty looks. I have never been so embarrassed in a public place!

Has anyone ever dealt with this? Did I do the right thing??
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
littlesippycup
by Baby T-rex Arms on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:42 PM

I'm sorry, it sounds like you did good to me.

wkukid
by Beach Bum on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Was there something about that chair or area he was responding to?

momsince04
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:42 PM
1 mom liked this
No matter if your child is autistic or not, I think you did what any mom would do. Don't beat yourself up.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
FL2AK
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:43 PM
You did the right thing. I am sorry that you did not get to enjoy dinner.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
babybelly25
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:43 PM

I wonder what was setting him off? I think you handled the situation well... sorry you missed dinner.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:44 PM
The only thing he kept saying is seat mama seat. He normally doesn't like real bright lit places so I thought he would be fine because this place was real dimly lit

Quoting wkukid:

mrswillie
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:44 PM
I commend you for removing him from the restaurant.
wkukid
by Beach Bum on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:46 PM

I think you handled that well. Maybe ask him if something upset him there so you will know in the future what to avoid. I couldn't take my godson to Japanese restaurants because the hibachi tables overstimulated him. 

Quoting Anonymous:

The only thing he kept saying is seat mama seat. He normally doesn't like real bright lit places so I thought he would be fine because this place was real dimly lit

Quoting wkukid:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:46 PM
Bump
Kmary
by Platinum Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:51 PM

You did the right thing, autism or not.  It's certainly not a reason to be embarassed.  It may have seemed like people were staring, but trust me, they'd have been more pissy and staring if you'd just let the screaming go on.  That could happen to any parent, regardless of whether they have a child on the spectrum or not.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)