Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I wish you would have told me sooner....

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:56 PM
  • 13 Replies

I posted earlier that I thought my oldest boy might be dyslexic. I brought this up to my husband tonight and he said it wouldn't surprise him if he was. When I asked him why he told me that he was dyslexic so it's highly possible that the kids might be.

I'm torn over whether or not to be upset he never told me this. I guess I just figures something like that might come up before you have kids? On the other hand I know it's embarrasses him and I understand that. I guess I'm just a little hurt he didn't trust me with this sooner.

Would you be upset or is it something I should just drop?

by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stickyfingers
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:58 PM
No I can understand not saying something like that. I mean if he is thinking statistically. It's not he notices your boy is having trouble and not say anything right?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:58 PM

I would drop it.

Quoting saucymama519:

I posted earlier that I thought my oldest boy might be dyslexic. I brought this up to my husband tonight and he said it wouldn't surprise him if he was. When I asked him why he told me that he was dyslexic so it's highly possible that the kids might be.

I'm torn over whether or not to be upset he never told me this. I guess I just figures something like that might come up before you have kids? On the other hand I know it's embarrasses him and I understand that. I guess I'm just a little hurt he didn't trust me with this sooner.

Would you be upset or is it something I should just drop?

Betty Boop Lets go to the disco.    Betty Jean Newell Smith

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:00 PM
How long did you know him before getting married and having children?
justpeachy71904
by peachy on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:00 PM

i would be shocked you didnt know and you are married. but men are secretive so i am not surprised he kept it inside. i have a coworker who is and mixes up speed limits. 

just drop it, he obviously didnt tell you because he is insecure do not keep pestering him. focus on your child.

Jeremmy
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:01 PM

I wouldnt let it upset me.

saucymama519
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:02 PM

He's actually been showing signs for quite a while, now. I guess it's possible my husband didn't notice he was struggling but I've talked to him about it a bunch of times and he's never brought this up, before. I kind of wish he would have just so I at least knew to be looking for it, if that makes sense.

Quoting stickyfingers:

No I can understand not saying something like that. I mean if he is thinking statistically. It's not he notices your boy is having trouble and not say anything right?

LoveyCakes
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:03 PM

What's the big deal?

brandydesiree
by Platinum Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:05 PM
I think it can be a touchy subject for some men to admit their weaknesses and shortcomings to their spouse. They don't want to be vulnerable.
mommaponch
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:16 PM

I dealt with a fairly common issue but a very severe case as a child.  I had bladder reflux which caused a lot of issues in my childhood.  I was on low grade antibiotics every day for years to help prevent UTI's.  On more than one occasion we went through a bout of serious talks about surgery.  I remember having accidents past the age of being officially potty trained.  In high school, in one year I had 6 extreme UTI's and then underwent more testing to see what was happening. 

My oldest daughter was potty trained at 2, and started regressing at 3.  She wet the bed and had frequent accidents until she was 6.  She was constantly slightly damp.  For three years we battled her being potty trained but not being consistant.  She ended up with a UTI in kindergarten.  When she had the second UTI in a year her doctor recommended that we test her for reflux.  It was not until that moment that the thought that I had passed that on to her crossed my mind.  Not once in our three+ year battle did I connect the dots and think she could possibly have the thing I battled my entire childhood.

You would think those of us that dealt with crappy things every day would spot them immediately.  But sometimes the idea that we could have passed them on is so traumatic that we can't let ourselves see it.  My bladder issues were not something my husband and I discussed before marriage or children.  I would let it go.

moosesmom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:19 PM
This. Drop it.

Quoting brandydesiree:

I think it can be a touchy subject for some men to admit their weaknesses and shortcomings to their spouse. They don't want to be vulnerable.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)