Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Check made payable to two people?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 17 Replies

Random question...  My husband and I loaned a friend some money two years ago.  We never expected it back as that is how we've always "loaned" money with no intention of ever getting it back so there are no issues.  Now, when I say WE loaned money I mean the money came out of my account so I really loaned the money.  I checked the mail today and I had a random thank you note with a $500 check in it.  I honestly can't even remember how much we loaned I thought it was $1000 but I really don't care, thats not the point.  

It was awesome and I could really use the money!  Now, me and my husband have since split up.  How can I go about depositing this into MY account?  Will the bank give me any issues when I do because my x's name isn't on the account?  I would rather not tell him it came because he is a little money grubbing and will want half.  Thats honesty there.  Like when we split, he said he wouldn't divorce me unless I gave up my portion of the retirement which was a loss on my part of about $32k.  He also makes way more than I do and hardly pays anything in support for the kids so its not like I'm screwing him out of $ here.  So, there is a lot going on here, but the question is, can I deposit this check into my account with my name on it, or, do I have to get his signature on the check? 

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MOMMYSLOVE13
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Just go to the atm and deposit it. I never sign any checks. Or you can endorse the back of youru check for deposit only with your account number. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:16 PM

so there won't be an issue that its made out to X & X person and going into only my account?  

Quoting MOMMYSLOVE13:

Just go to the atm and deposit it. I never sign any checks. Or you can endorse the back of youru check for deposit only with your account number. 

Crazy-Steph
by Emerald Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:17 PM
Is it made out to you AND your ex, or you OR your ex?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MaMa.Lu
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:18 PM
If it is written to the both of you, you need both parties signature.

It happened to me with a deposit check we got back from an apt we moved out of.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:18 PM

If the check was written "Sue OR Bob Jones" rather than "Sue AND Bob Jones" it wouldn't be an issue.  If it says "and" I'm not so sure - you probably would have to ask your accountant or the bank.  I suppose you could always try just depositing it too, but it wouldn't be worth getting in trouble over if it did turn out to be wrong.  Then again, worst case, if you DID have to split it with douchebag - you weren't counting on anything bac, and 250 is better than zip lol.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Me & my x :( It actually has the and symbol.

Quoting Crazy-Steph:

Is it made out to you AND your ex, or you OR your ex?

littlesippycup
by Baby T-rex Arms on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:19 PM
2 moms liked this

Girl just forge his name, deposit it and wait for the money.

zebbyzebby06
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:19 PM
If both names are on it u both have to sign it.
MOMMYSLOVE13
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:19 PM

No, it is not like you are cashing it and taking the money. Just put it in the account and let it clear and you are all good. 

I used to collect rent and put it in the bank for the owners and they had my do that with the for deposit only. I started doing it with my own account and now I just stick it in the ATM and do not sign anything. 

Quoting Anonymous:

so there won't be an issue that its made out to X & X person and going into only my account?  

Quoting MOMMYSLOVE13:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:20 PM
You will either need his signauture or he must be present OR if you have a joint account still somewhere you can DEPOSIT it there and withdraw it later.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)