Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I think parents of kids who have a mild "disability"

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 116 Replies
6 moms liked this

Such as a speech delay or aspergers get dollar signs in their eyes as soon as the kid is diagnosed.  Can't wait to get a check for their child's "disability". My niece got it for a fixed cleft palate and has no issues now whatsoever, but still gets a check and is labeled "disabled". I see people on here post about getting it for speech problems. I don't get it at all. I would NEVER want my child labeled as "disabled" if they didn't have something legitimately disabling such as spina bifida, mental retardation, cancer or something equally debilitating  your child will wear that label for their ENTIRE life! Do you get that? It makes me sad that parents care more about the money than anything else. I'm sure ill get bashed and told to "educate yourself".. Save it as I work with SEVERELY disabled people who truly need that money which is another reason it makes me angry that we waste so much money giving it to people who don't need it or get it for bad parenting. 

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Troll
yikesitsmindy
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:16 PM
4 moms liked this
Fuck off
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ATL958
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:17 PM
1 mom liked this
How is a "mild disability" the result of bad parenting?

Just curious as to how you got there?
Kris_PBG
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:17 PM
6 moms liked this
I have friends with "mildly disabled" children - none get any money for their children - but a few of them pay an arm and a leg for additional services their child benefits from not covered by insurance.

I'd say you are out of touch op... That or you are very jaded.
wkukid
by Beach Bum on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Oh hell this will get good.

fairymom82
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:18 PM
4 moms liked this
I have a child who has sensory inegration disorder and a severe speech delay i didn't hear him say mama till he was 4i don't see money i don't collect a check please don't generalize all of us parents by a few who think that way
mstricey
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:18 PM
2 moms liked this
I personally don't know anyone who wants their child to be disabled for a measly 700.00 a month. I would give anything for my son to have a normal life.
mariesmama
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:19 PM

um my kid has speech delay and spd and elhers-danlos she probably doesnt qualify for ssi she will however always have joint pain, arthritis and a bunch of other issues

KristenFowles
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:19 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't know a single parent who first thought of "money" when hearing that their child wasn't "perfect."

There is no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one.

KawaiiLila
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Well my daughter is getting diagnosed in a month. If she wasn't "truly" disabled she wouldn't qualify for early intervention. If she needs whatever it's called when they get the money then we'll take it and if not then we won't. Mental disabilities and learning disabilities are real problems too.
Btw: it took me 6 months to even agree to have her diagnosed. I don't like thinking she isn't "good enough" for certain people. She's still my little angel even if it is autism.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)