Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fil told me tonight that my son needs surgery to "fix" his penis...........

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My son is intact. He also has his first and hopefully only bladder infection. Yesterday he had to have a cath done because he refused to go pee at the doctors office, so now he is a bit irritated down there. He was put on meds so hopefully with that and tons of fluids he will get rid of the pain and discomfort and be able to get rid of the infection. Now tonight fil took a look at my son and the first thing he said was that my son needs surgery. I told him, and the doctor my son saw yesterday that circumcision is out of the question (unless absolutly positively necessary). I would think that if there was an issue the doctor would have said something to me yesterday, or hell even the nurse that did the cath would have said something. I know that the only thing you are suppose the see is the peehole, which is all there is to see, and my ds has a good stream when he does go, so I am not concerned, but god my fil won't leave me alone about the care of my son. Thankfully my dh, mil, and the nurse are all on my side and stick up for me, but how I can get my fil to shut up with out shutting him out or making him feel bad because he is just trying to help, but its irritateing?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:21 PM
Replies (31-40):
aimesnyc
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 8:08 AM
If everyone else is on your side, just ignore him. No use causing drama. He's entitled to his own opinion (wrong as it may be), and it's not like he can go get your son circ'd.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mom18103
by Bronze Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 8:27 AM

Is ur son circumcised ? If not, just a side note my son was circumcised but not enough when he turned 7 he got infection after infection & we had to get him re-circumcised because of how bad the infections were. He is now better &  has none it's been over a year.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 10, 2013 at 8:43 AM
1 mom liked this

from now on, tell him the discussion is CLOSED!!!  if  he brings it up, simply nod your head, and repeat, the discussion is CLOSED....repeat as often as necessary until you sound like a broken record, and he gets the hint. 

tntmomof2
by Platinum Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:07 AM
1 mom liked this

My daughter has suffered from UTIs and bladder infections her whole 17 years of life. She just had a really bad bladder infection last week. Can you ask your FIL if he thinks I Shoukd circumcise her???

Funny thing is my intact 11 year old son has never had a UTI nor a bladder infection. Guess I dodged that bullet. 

Kmary
by Silver Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:11 AM

It's not his business, but try not to get worked up about it.  He's just old school and cares about his grandson.  I know it's annoying, but he's probably well-intentioned even if he's wrong.  At least this is what I try to tell myself when my MIL tells me stupid things like how I should supplement formula with my breastmilk because my big baby wouldn't be full enough.  Blah blah blah.  It's annoying and inaccurate information, but it's what they were taught and they only mean well. 

brebugmom91
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Yet another reason I will circumcise my son if I have one. 

tntmomof2
by Platinum Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:15 AM
1 mom liked this

UTIs and bladder infections don't discriminate. 

Quoting brebugmom91:

Act like a lady, think like a man,so you don't get played like a bitch 

Idntreallycare
by Silver Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Just tell him "this is how we decided to handle the situation. It is not your choice, my husband and I decided, as we're his parents. If you can't stop trying to change our mind, you're just going to give him a complex as he gets older"

RiotousDigits
by Ruby Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:19 AM

uhm... i'd be avoiding FIL.  There's no reason he needs to be that involved in my kid's medical issues and there's no way in hell he needs to be looking at my son's penis.

only grandson or not, FIL is a creeper.

brebugmom91
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Anatomical factors in both sexes can cause urinary infections. Any anatomical problem that obstructs the flow of urine can make it easier for bacteria to become trapped, leading to a UTI. An enlarged prostate, for example, is the most common reason why men over the age of 50 get UTIs. An uncircumcised penis can also trap bacteria, leading to a UTI. Similarly, an abnormality in women called a vesicovaginal fistula that links the bladder directly to the vagina can provide an easy route for bacterial infections.

http://www.pdrhealth.com/diseases/urinary-tract-infection

Quoting tntmomof2:

UTIs and bladder infections don't discriminate. 

Quoting brebugmom91:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured