Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Leashing the child

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:31 PM
  • 13 Replies

We have a family trip to the zoo coming up and I learned today that my mother thinks we should buy one of those harness and leash backpack things for my daughter. She's is very good about holding hands, even though she is only 19 months. She does get excited around other kids though. We plan on taking her big stroller anyways, the one that lays down all the way so she can nap if she needs to. I hate those leashes though. HATE them. She thinks we should. Now, we are best friends, and she helps us and gives me advise almost daily. We will also have my sister and 15 month old along with us, and maybe her 3 older kids, who are terribly bad. But my daughter is honestly the best of all of them since I have more time to spend teaching her. I don't understand why she would want her to be hooked up like a dog. She is the kind of person to be against these things. Is there something I'm missing here? Its not like the zoo is a very hands-on kind of place. Mostly just strolling around watching the animals.

by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:34 PM

It's your child do what's best.

That being said i have use a harness in LAX & O'hare. Those airports are wicked busy.

photo 09818b36-418b-42ec-bb89-2fd181fbf1af_zpsde7408ec.jpg

"I love you today and I love you tomorrow, I love you as deep as the sea. I love you in joy and I love you in sorrow, You can always come home to me" Andrew Peterson

jesistar6910
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:34 PM

It's entirely up to you. Little ones like that get tired after walking that long at the zoo (or anywhere else for that matter) and you'll end up putting her in the stroller anyway, or carrying her.

Personally, I don't think they are that useful, or tasteful. But again, your kid, your decision.

KristenFowles
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:35 PM

I don't use them, but I don't hate them either.. I think in some situations they are great for certain children and their parents. 

There is no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:35 PM
1 mom liked this

If she's good about holding hands, I wouldn't put a harness on her.  I could never bring myself to put my children in one, either.  It's terribly degrading, I feel.  That's just me, though, and I don't judge those that feel the need or have the need to use them for whatever reasons.  I just couldn't do that to mine!  If you're not worried about her not listening or doing as she's asked, then I wouldn't worry about it.  :)

meaganmac
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:36 PM
1 mom liked this
I used one for my daughter, but she was not even 1 when her sister was born and would run off the second she let your hand go. I would rather have a kid on a "leash" than a kidnapped or dead kid.

Once she got older she used it because she liked it and when my younger daughter was older the 2 of them would fight over who got to wear it (even when neither of them needed to use it). It was one of the stuffed animal ones that looks like a backpack.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mcelly
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:39 PM
1 mom liked this
I use them. I love them, the kids arms dont hurt from holding hands. My kids won't get lost in a crowd. It is not degrating at all
it's keeping your children safe!
VannaMae307
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:40 PM
1 mom liked this
I had one for my son, it was a lion, he was about 16 months or so. I used it at the zoo, it gave him a chance to explore and not be cooped up in a stroller. I could have held his hand but I wanted him to feel in control of his exploration. He never fussed or complained, and as he got older he asked to wear it and 'walked' himself.
If you don't like them, the solution is very simple....don't use one.
KawaiiLila
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:40 PM
If your dd can walk while holding your hand and not run off then that's really great and I'd agree you don't need one but I think your mother just maybe wants to be 100% sure she doesn't get snatched or something like that. In crowded places like that if you can't trust you kid to be 100% obedient it's easy for then to run off and/ or get snatched and a harness can prevent it from happening. That's why I use one in crowded places. I love my dd more than any animal friend, so why would I have that extra precaution for an animal and not my dd?
disneyrose
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:43 PM

I have never liked them myself, I have always trained my kids to listen and stay close.  But I also feel I have kids not animals LOL

MommyChance
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:47 PM
I used one with my son. He's terribly curious, always has been. He hated having to hold my hand and wanted to touch things and was all over the place! So, I harnessed him and viola, he had his hands free for exploration and I felt more at ease! Ha. I did only use it big busy places, the museums in Chicago, the zoo and the airport. If he would have been more like yours, I wouldn't have.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)