Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why do people say "no offense" when they are about to say something offensive?

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:52 PM
  • 9 Replies
3 moms liked this

My 10 year recently started doing this and I stopped him.  It's not that I don't want him to ever say anything that may offend someone.  I am not one to "toe the line".  I just want him to either think about what he is going to say and choose not to say it or be brave enough to take ownership for the words he is saying.  Offensive or not.

by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Snivs
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Very good question!

parentalrights1
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:53 PM
They only serve to reduce the odds of receiving backlash. It's like saying, "you're great, but..."
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:54 PM
1 mom liked this
It's the golden ticket to assholery.
CrimsonRadiance
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:54 PM
2 moms liked this
Because it is a cop-out. They think it means they can say something they KNOW is offensive, but won't get the backlash from it by saying "no offense".

Cowards
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:55 PM

1.no offense14493 up657 down
October 29, 2009 Urban Word of the Day
A phrase used to make insults seem socially acceptable.
"No offense, John, but your mom is a fucking whore." 

"You've got huge bitch tits, Patrick... no offense."
by bryan Sep 11, 2004 share this add a video
2.No Offense738 up62 down
Something you say right before you offend the living shit out of someone.
no offense bob, but everything you believe is wrong
3.no offense301 up104 down
thing to say after you say something offensive
A: "no offense, but you smell like shit!" 

B: "..."
by vinny Dec 20, 2004 share this add a video
4.No Offense209 up40 down
A phrase added to an otherwise insulting statement. You say "no offense" right before or after you say something that is insulting. "No offense" allows you to say just about anything you want about anyone.

It is sometimes followed up by "none taken." The recipient of the original comment says "none taken" to signal that they were not insulted.
Without) 
Joe: Sally, you've put on some weight 
Sally: *slaps the shit out of Joe*

With)

Joe: No offense, Sally, you've gotten fat 
Sally: None taken. I guess I should go on a diet. .
5.no offense137 up40 down
1.The 2009 Tampa Bay Buccaneers. They have no offense.

2. Something that is used by someone to make it sound acceptable.
1. Man the Bucs defense played well last week at Wembley but their offense just sucked. They have no offense.

2. No offense Kipper but your sister has the ugliest bitch i've ever seen. You'd have to be totally wasted to take a ride on her.
6.No offense141 up73 down
The short line used after a very offensive and usually embarrassing statement which supposeably makes everything the 'sender' said socially acceptable.
Leevon: OHH MYY GOD ALAA! Your such a little bitch ass, stupid pin dicked, cock sucking mother fucker who smells like absolute shit! no offense. =) 

Alaa: lol (OMG im so glad he said no offense or i would of taken it offensively)
7.No Offense18 up4 down
Something people say because they think that saying it makes something less offensive.
Bob: No offense Joe, but I hate you so much that I pray for your death daily. You're just a motherfucking cuntlicking son-of-a-bitch asswipe that needs to fuck off and die. You fuck your mother's vulva for fun. 
Joe: Oh, that's okay, 'cause you said 'No offense'.
thetrollcat
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Sometimes you are telling something a point of view based on your perception, the no offense line generally stating, Im not trying to offend you personally or this isnt about you personally. I get it, I dont know why you CANT get it.

waffa
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:59 PM

"No offense" before a statement is just a passive way of apologizing for any offense the statement might contain when someone wants to speak the truth.

for example: no offense momma, but this stupid thread is an obvious reason for using "no offense"

note the insult comes after the "no offense"; the "but" in a statement usually signifies truth behind it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 10, 2013 at 2:47 PM

I very rarely say no offense but....

I only say this when I feel it is important for this person to know how I feel...and do not want to intentionally offend them....but need for them to know where I stand on a topic that may be uncomfortable to them.

This way we are both clear.....they can choose to respond or walk away.

Pixyduster28
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 8:53 PM

I have wondered why people do this for years!  Like its a 'get out of jail free card' to say awful stuff.  Also, the phrase 'I don't mean to be rude but...'.  These days if someone says that I usually reply,' Then don't be rude.'

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)