Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Vaccines-Hypothetical Question-How Would You Feel If This Happened To Your Child?

So my dh has stolen the remote and is watching Law&Order:SVU,which I normally don't find very interesting,but this particular episode made me think of Cafemom.

So this mother chooses not to vaccinate her four year old child.The child gets measles, doesn't display any symptoms during the early stage of contagion and the mom takes him to a park,where he infects two children,who were also not vaccinated because they were not yet of the age to receive the vaccine. One of the children dies of a brain infection due to measles. The mother of the non-vaccinating four year old is put on trial for murder.

Now,I'm not saying that this could or would happen. But if your child was eleven months old,not yet old enough to be immunized and then died because of a choice someone else made for their child,how would you feel?

I thought it brought up some very interesting questions about personal responsibility to yourself,your child and your community and how our choices can affect other people's lives.

CafeMom Tickers

"Live as if you have faith and faith will be given to you"

by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 3:31 AM
Replies (11-20):
SoInLove515
by Platinum Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 3:45 AM
2 moms liked this
I would be devestated. But I wouldn't put a Mother on trial to possibly leave her child Motherless. She has the right to decide not to vaccinate. Just like I have the right to vaccinate. I wouldn't look at her like she's a criminal.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CrimsonRadiance
by Platinum Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 3:45 AM
1 mom liked this
I can't (and won't) speak for others... But we don't vaccinate because doing so could kill our boys. After our oldest got his 6 month shots and ended up in the hospital, the doctors said not to continue any more vaccinations, and to not vaccinate any future siblings.

So, that is how I, as a parent, allow my children out in the world unvaccinated.

Quoting Anonymous:

I saw this episode a long time ago and I agreed with charging the mom.  The problem with non vaxing parents is that they were not born when these diseases killed and maimed, so they have no clue what it was like before the vaccines.  What is going to happen(and the medical community is afraid of this) is that we are going to see a return of these diseases. Measles is back, whooping cough, etc...there also was a documented case of polio.  These diseases did not exist a few  years back.  I don't know how any parent allows their child to go  out into this world unvaccinated.

krissy920
by Gold Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 3:46 AM
1 mom liked this

When my mom was a child she said polio was very much around in inner chicago where she was born and raised. She told me 3 children on her street  had it and 2 died. 

Quoting LoveTragedyFun:

LOL you are clueless.

Those recent outbreaks you speak of...they are happening MOST in vaccinated people. It has NOTHING to do with the unvaccinated population. Polio was at a steady decline BEFORE mass vaccination.
Those illness STILL existed with or without vaccines. LOL

Quoting Anonymous:

I saw this episode a long time ago and I agreed with charging the mom.  The problem with non vaxing parents is that they were not born when these diseases killed and maimed, so they have no clue what it was like before the vaccines.  What is going to happen(and the medical community is afraid of this) is that we are going to see a return of these diseases. Measles is back, whooping cough, etc...there also was a documented case of polio.  These diseases did not exist a few  years back.  I don't know how any parent allows their child to go  out into this world unvaccinated.

CafeMom Tickers
LivysMama
by Gold Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 3:47 AM
6 moms liked this

That whole episode was alarmist bullshit. My dd can't get vaccines because of her egg allergy...what should I do? Keep her locked up forever? No one with any kind of a working understanding of vaccinations would believe that non-vaxing mom deserved to go on trial.

Sorry, btw, not yelling at you! That episode just really made me mad and it's the reason I stopped watching SVU.

ElizabethGracie
by Gold Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 3:47 AM

Why did your child have such bad reactions to the vaccine?

Quoting CrimsonRadiance:

I can't (and won't) speak for others... But we don't vaccinate because doing so could kill our boys. After our oldest got his 6 month shots and ended up in the hospital, the doctors said not to continue any more vaccinations, and to not vaccinate any future siblings.

So, that is how I, as a parent, allow my children out in the world unvaccinated.

Quoting Anonymous:

CafeMom Tickers

ElizabethGracie
by Gold Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 3:49 AM
2 moms liked this

This is how I feel.Yes,vaccines have risks,but I believe that the benefits far outweigh the risks.

Quoting Anonymous:

Exactly my point every time this subject comes up. Vaccines save many more lives than they hurt/maim/kill.

CafeMom Tickers

CrimsonRadiance
by Platinum Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 3:50 AM
One of the chemicals in the vaccine. The doctor at the hospital wasn't even sure which one or what exactly, which is why we were told no more. It was scary.. I had never even heard of a reaction until then.

Quoting ElizabethGracie:

Why did your child have such bad reactions to the vaccine?

Quoting CrimsonRadiance:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 10, 2013 at 3:52 AM

Are you sure the same people that had the vaccination actually caught the disease? The country was nearly polio free, but with polio still existing in neighboring countries, it gets brought back into the country and infects the unvaccinated.

This is the reason EVERYONE needs vaccinations to be effective. This is why we are seeing the revival of diseases that were rare when I was a kid when all kids got vaccinated.

Quoting LoveTragedyFun:

Oh really?

Tell that to the thousands of people in Ethopia who received a polio vaccine and still ended up with polio.

Quoting Anonymous:

Exactly my point every time this subject comes up. Vaccines save many more lives than they hurt/maim/kill.

LoveTragedyFun
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 3:56 AM
3 moms liked this

No, thats not true.

The reason that it SEEMS like not vaccinating is becoming more common is because A) people are more vocal about it because SOME people have gotten SMART about it. B) there is more avenues in order to research and spread info. C) And while there is still some stigma related to not vaccinating, it is becoming more acceptable for people to understand that what is right for one family may not be right for others.

Quoting Anonymous:

Are you sure the same people that had the vaccination actually caught the disease? The country was nearly polio free, but with polio still existing in neighboring countries, it gets brought back into the country and infects the unvaccinated.

This is the reason EVERYONE needs vaccinations to be effective. This is why we are seeing the revival of diseases that were rare when I was a kid when all kids got vaccinated.

Quoting LoveTragedyFun:

Oh really?

Tell that to the thousands of people in Ethopia who received a polio vaccine and still ended up with polio.

Quoting Anonymous:

ElizabethGracie
by Gold Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 4:08 AM

Well,how would you feel if your child died because they caught a disease from someone? A disease that could have easily been prevented?

Quoting LoveTragedyFun:

No, thats not true.

The reason that it SEEMS like not vaccinating is becoming more common is because A) people are more vocal about it because SOME people have gotten SMART about it. B) there is more avenues in order to research and spread info. C) And while there is still some stigma related to not vaccinating, it is becoming more acceptable for people to understand that what is right for one family may not be right for others.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting LoveTragedyFun:

Oh really?

Quoting Anonymous:

CafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)