Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Vaccines-Hypothetical Question-How Would You Feel If This Happened To Your Child?

So my dh has stolen the remote and is watching Law&Order:SVU,which I normally don't find very interesting,but this particular episode made me think of Cafemom.

So this mother chooses not to vaccinate her four year old child.The child gets measles, doesn't display any symptoms during the early stage of contagion and the mom takes him to a park,where he infects two children,who were also not vaccinated because they were not yet of the age to receive the vaccine. One of the children dies of a brain infection due to measles. The mother of the non-vaccinating four year old is put on trial for murder.

Now,I'm not saying that this could or would happen. But if your child was eleven months old,not yet old enough to be immunized and then died because of a choice someone else made for their child,how would you feel?

I thought it brought up some very interesting questions about personal responsibility to yourself,your child and your community and how our choices can affect other people's lives.

CafeMom Tickers

"Live as if you have faith and faith will be given to you"

by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 3:31 AM
Replies (21-30):
LoveTragedyFun
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 4:13 AM
4 moms liked this

You really are clueless aren't you?

Being vaccinated does not mean prevention. I will say this again, many of these vaccines are LIVE viruses. That means you are injecting the actual illness in to your body. Being vaccinated does not mean that you won't get the illness, in fact you are MORE likely to get certain illnesses.

Again, these "outbreaks" have been MAINLY among the vaccinated population, so even IF my kids WERE vaccinated, they could STILL get the illness.... In fact, due to the statistics, one could safely assume that it is more likely for a vaccinated person to get the illness.

Furthermore, most of these illnesses are acute illnesses, they generally clear up on their own. And are generally NOT life threatening, unless the affected person has an already compromised immune system.

Quoting ElizabethGracie:

Well,how would you feel if your child died because they caught a disease from someone? A disease that could have easily been prevented?

Quoting LoveTragedyFun:

No, thats not true.

The reason that it SEEMS like not vaccinating is becoming more common is because A) people are more vocal about it because SOME people have gotten SMART about it. B) there is more avenues in order to research and spread info. C) And while there is still some stigma related to not vaccinating, it is becoming more acceptable for people to understand that what is right for one family may not be right for others.

Quoting Anonymous:

Are you sure the same people that had the vaccination actually caught the disease? The country was nearly polio free, but with polio still existing in neighboring countries, it gets brought back into the country and infects the unvaccinated.

This is the reason EVERYONE needs vaccinations to be effective. This is why we are seeing the revival of diseases that were rare when I was a kid when all kids got vaccinated.

Quoting LoveTragedyFun:

Oh really?

Tell that to the thousands of people in Ethopia who received a polio vaccine and still ended up with polio.

Quoting Anonymous:

Exactly my point every time this subject comes up. Vaccines save many more lives than they hurt/maim/kill.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 10, 2013 at 4:16 AM
1 mom liked this

I think you have bought into some mumbo-jumbo---drank the kool-aid--or something.

I'm old enough to remember these diseases. They didn't just go away on their own. No, widespread vaccinations is what has kept them at bay. That they are coming back is totally because of all of the moms like you thinking that vaccinations are evil and keeping them from your children.

These diseases, well many of them, were called childhood diseases for a reason. In my parents' day, all the kids caught them. Just like chicken pox went around and people got them up until the chicken pox vaccination became available in the 90s, my parents got all those other ones, too. Unfortunately, some kids died from them. My mother has told me stories about pertussis and how she coughed for a long, long time and how bad if felt.

My mother had polio. Some of her friends did not make it. She rejoiced when the polio vaccination came out.

Quoting LoveTragedyFun:

No, thats not true.

The reason that it SEEMS like not vaccinating is becoming more common is because A) people are more vocal about it because SOME people have gotten SMART about it. B) there is more avenues in order to research and spread info. C) And while there is still some stigma related to not vaccinating, it is becoming more acceptable for people to understand that what is right for one family may not be right for others.

Quoting Anonymous:

Are you sure the same people that had the vaccination actually caught the disease? The country was nearly polio free, but with polio still existing in neighboring countries, it gets brought back into the country and infects the unvaccinated.

This is the reason EVERYONE needs vaccinations to be effective. This is why we are seeing the revival of diseases that were rare when I was a kid when all kids got vaccinated.

Quoting LoveTragedyFun:

Oh really?

Tell that to the thousands of people in Ethopia who received a polio vaccine and still ended up with polio.

Quoting Anonymous:

Exactly my point every time this subject comes up. Vaccines save many more lives than they hurt/maim/kill.

LoveTragedyFun
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 4:21 AM
3 moms liked this

Because I made a different choice (based in scientific fact, mind you- whether you choose to believe it or not), *I* drank the kool-aid?! How about YOU are the one who is blinded? You believe everything the govt tells you? You think that they have your families best interests at heart? If so, you are even more clueless than I originally thought.

I had chicken pox AND measles as a kid. Know what happened to me? Nothing. I stayed home from school, ate my meals in bed, watched cartoons, slept when I was tired, and then you know what happened next? I got better. Holy shit, imagine that!

While it is truly tragic that your mothers friends died from polio, the polio illness was at a steady decline for years PRIOR to mass vaccination.

If vaccines are so effective and safe, than tell me why the majority of the children in these alleged outbreaks are vaccinated?

Quoting Anonymous:

I think you have bought into some mumbo-jumbo---drank the kool-aid--or something.

I'm old enough to remember these diseases. They didn't just go away on their own. No, widespread vaccinations is what has kept them at bay. That they are coming back is totally because of all of the moms like you thinking that vaccinations are evil and keeping them from your children.

These diseases, well many of them, were called childhood diseases for a reason. In my parents' day, all the kids caught them. Just like chicken pox went around and people got them up until the chicken pox vaccination became available in the 90s, my parents got all those other ones, too. Unfortunately, some kids died from them. She has told me stories about pertussis and how she coughed for a long, long time and how bad if felt.

My mother had polio. Some of her friends did not make it. She rejoiced when the polio vaccination came out.

Quoting LoveTragedyFun:

No, thats not true.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting LoveTragedyFun:

Oh really?

Quoting Anonymous:

LoveTragedyFun
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 4:27 AM
5 moms liked this

see, here's the thing.... I am not willing to offer up my kids as proverbial sacrificial lambs.

Quoting Anonymous:

ElizabethGracie
by Gold Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 4:29 AM

Yes,I understand how vaccines work. And I've never seen an outbreak in a vaccinated population.Anyway,that's not what I'm asking. If you chose to vaccinate and your child was not old enough to receive the vaccine and then caught measles or smallpox or polio or whatever from an asymptomatic, unvaccinated child and died,how would you feel?

Quoting LoveTragedyFun:

Being vaccinated does not mean prevention. I will say this again, many of these vaccines are LIVE viruses. That means you are injecting the actual illness in to your body. Being vaccinated does not mean that you won't get the illness, in fact you are MORE likely to get certain illnesses.

Again, these "outbreaks" have been MAINLY among the vaccinated population, so even IF my kids WERE vaccinated, they could STILL get the illness.... In fact, due to the statistics, one could safely assume that it is more likely for a vaccinated person to get the illness.

Furthermore, most of these illnesses are acute illnesses, they generally clear up on their own. And are generally NOT life threatening, unless the affected person has an already compromised immune system.

Quoting ElizabethGracie:

Well,how would you feel if your child died because they caught a disease from someone? A disease that could have easily been prevented?

CafeMom Tickers

Leobaby2007
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 4:32 AM

I saw the episode, and the mother of the unvaxed child pissed me off. It's like she didn't even care that a baby died because of her decision not to vaccinate her own child. Ugh.

LoveTragedyFun
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 4:33 AM

LOL, you've never seen that? Then you truly are more clueless than I thought.

Anyway, I would feel the same way regardless of my kids vaccination status. It would be sad, horrible, awful, heartbreaking. All of the above. I would actually be able to understand that regardless of my kids vaccination status, they could STILL get the illness.

Quoting ElizabethGracie:

Yes,I understand how vaccines work. And I've never seen an outbreak in a vaccinated population.Anyway,that's not what I'm asking. If you chose to vaccinate and your child was not old enough to receive the vaccine and then caught measles or smallpox or polio or whatever from an asymptomatic, unvaccinated child and died,how would you feel?

Quoting LoveTragedyFun:

Quoting ElizabethGracie:

LoveTragedyFun
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 4:36 AM
4 moms liked this

http://vtdigger.org/2012/10/08/90-percent-of-whooping-cough-cases-in-vermont-among-vaccinated-children/

just ONE example.....

But you would know that if you researched.

ElizabethGracie
by Gold Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 4:36 AM
4 moms liked this

No,I'm not clueless.All disease outbreaks that I've seen have happened in unvaccinated kids.Just because I've had different experiences than you doesn't make me clueless.

And I'm not insulting you,so why are you insulting me and calling me clueless simply because I made a different choice for my children? I was simply trying to have an interesting discussion,but apparently it's impossible for some people to debate without resorting to name calling and attacking. 

Quoting LoveTragedyFun:

Anyway, I would feel the same way regardless of my kids vaccination status. It would be sad, horrible, awful, heartbreaking. All of the above. I would actually be able to understand that regardless of my kids vaccination status, they could STILL get the illness.

Quoting ElizabethGracie:

Quoting LoveTragedyFun:

Quoting ElizabethGracie:

CafeMom Tickers

LoveTragedyFun
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 4:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Either you are blind or you blantently CHOOSE to disregard the evidence. I posted a link (of just ONE example).

Quoting ElizabethGracie:

No,I'm not clueless.All disease outbreaks that I've seen have happened in unvaccinated kids.Just because I've had different experiences than you doesn't make me clueless.

And I'm not insulting you,so why are you insulting me and calling me clueless simply because I made a different choice for my children? I was simply trying to have an interesting discussion,but apparently it's impossible for some people to debate without resorting to name calling and attacking. 

Quoting LoveTragedyFun:

Quoting ElizabethGracie:

Quoting LoveTragedyFun:

Quoting ElizabethGracie:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)