Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Vaccines-Hypothetical Question-How Would You Feel If This Happened To Your Child?

So my dh has stolen the remote and is watching Law&Order:SVU,which I normally don't find very interesting,but this particular episode made me think of Cafemom.

So this mother chooses not to vaccinate her four year old child.The child gets measles, doesn't display any symptoms during the early stage of contagion and the mom takes him to a park,where he infects two children,who were also not vaccinated because they were not yet of the age to receive the vaccine. One of the children dies of a brain infection due to measles. The mother of the non-vaccinating four year old is put on trial for murder.

Now,I'm not saying that this could or would happen. But if your child was eleven months old,not yet old enough to be immunized and then died because of a choice someone else made for their child,how would you feel?

I thought it brought up some very interesting questions about personal responsibility to yourself,your child and your community and how our choices can affect other people's lives.

CafeMom Tickers

"Live as if you have faith and faith will be given to you"

by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 3:31 AM
Replies (261-269):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 30 on Mar. 12, 2013 at 6:28 AM

Mine had an outbreak 6 days after vaccination, which, apparently, happens as a
"side effect" of the vaccination itself.

Quoting lancet98:

When did he get the vaccine and when did he break out in measles?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 40 on Mar. 12, 2013 at 11:01 AM
They also bring over strains that some natural immunity or vaccines don't prevent.

Quoting lancet98:

Cases of measles in the US do not come from vaccinated  people,, that is a total lie.

They come from other countries.   China, Indonesia, Phillipines, Afghanistan, all have huge numbers of measles cases each year.   So do a great many African countries.

We have many travelers to and from all those countries.

If it was from vaccinated people we would have many more cases than we do.

lancet98
by Platinum Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 11:20 AM

In the case of some diseases, like flu for example.

Quoting Anonymous:

They also bring over strains that some natural immunity or vaccines don't prevent.

Quoting lancet98:

Cases of measles in the US do not come from vaccinated  people,, that is a total lie.

They come from other countries.   China, Indonesia, Phillipines, Afghanistan, all have huge numbers of measles cases each year.   So do a great many African countries.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 40 on Mar. 12, 2013 at 11:28 AM
Here in the u.s. it is even happening with the pertussis vaccine failure. It's not a virus though.

Quoting lancet98:

In the case of some diseases, like flu for example.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting lancet98:

lancet98
by Platinum Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 11:36 AM

The different strains of measles, though, are not significant.    There is no difference in how effective the vaccine is between different strains of measles,in other words.   Because it works on proteins that are common to all the strains..

The measles virus is actually in the same general group as canine distemper.   No,  LOL, that does not mean you get measles from dogs, LOL.  

The internet hystrionics about vaccines is possible because people are ignorant about viruses, bacteria, and how vaccines work and are produced.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Mar. 12, 2013 at 1:53 PM
Lol that's funny. OK keep telling yourself that

Quoting lancet98:

The different strains of measles, though, are not significant.    There is no difference in how effective the vaccine is between different strains of measles,in other words.   Because it works on proteins that are common to all the strains..

The measles virus is actually in the same general group as canine distemper.   No,  LOL, that does not mean you get measles from dogs, LOL.  

The internet hystrionics about vaccines is possible because people are ignorant about viruses, bacteria, and how vaccines work and are produced.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 28 on Mar. 12, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Quoting lancet98:

Not true.  The internet hysterics are because many parents have seen vaccine reactions with their own eyes, and when they go to tell their doctor, it is brushed off as "coincidence."  

Some of us do know how vaccines are produced - they are produced by pharmaceutical companies - the very same pharmaceutical companies who :

-test the vaccines

-publish the results they like

-sit on CDC boards

-donate huge amounts of money to both government and med schools.  

There is far too much conflict of interest in vaccination, and some parents choose not to vaccinate because of it.  You can fault them if you like, but you really need to look at the revolving door relationship between the CDC, pharmaceutical companies and research as well.

lnr187
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 2:49 PM

i have a friend who will not allow her children (when they're too young to be vaccinated) to be around another child who is not, even a cousin. i pretty much agree with this. i believe in vaccinations and i don't want my child exposed to a child who could be carrying a disease.

PinkButterfly66
by Emerald Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Those cases were because the vaccine was the live form and and people were coming in contact with the live virus.  That's the reason why the AMA FINALLY recommended that only the killed sulk polio virus be used in the US from now on.

Quoting LoveTragedyFun:

Oh really?

Tell that to the thousands of people in Ethopia who received a polio vaccine and still ended up with polio.

Quoting Anonymous:

Exactly my point every time this subject comes up. Vaccines save many more lives than they hurt/maim/kill.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)