Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Vaccines-Hypothetical Question-How Would You Feel If This Happened To Your Child?

So my dh has stolen the remote and is watching Law&Order:SVU,which I normally don't find very interesting,but this particular episode made me think of Cafemom.

So this mother chooses not to vaccinate her four year old child.The child gets measles, doesn't display any symptoms during the early stage of contagion and the mom takes him to a park,where he infects two children,who were also not vaccinated because they were not yet of the age to receive the vaccine. One of the children dies of a brain infection due to measles. The mother of the non-vaccinating four year old is put on trial for murder.

Now,I'm not saying that this could or would happen. But if your child was eleven months old,not yet old enough to be immunized and then died because of a choice someone else made for their child,how would you feel?

I thought it brought up some very interesting questions about personal responsibility to yourself,your child and your community and how our choices can affect other people's lives.

CafeMom Tickers

"Live as if you have faith and faith will be given to you"

by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 3:31 AM
Replies (31-40):
ElizabethGracie
by Gold Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 4:39 AM

And did you notice that they said that even though the vaccine wasn't as effective as they would like,it was still better to vaccinate than to not vaccinate?

Quoting LoveTragedyFun:

http://vtdigger.org/2012/10/08/90-percent-of-whooping-cough-cases-in-vermont-among-vaccinated-children/

just ONE example.....

But you would know that if you researched.

CafeMom Tickers

LoveTragedyFun
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 4:41 AM

http://www.kpbs.org/news/2010/sep/07/whooping-cough-vaccine-working/

another news story

ElizabethGracie
by Gold Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 4:41 AM

In that very article that you posted,a DOH epidemologist said that it was still better to vaccinate your children than to not vaccinate them. So aren't you also disregarding evidence?

And you completely ignored my comments about having a discussion without resorting to name calling.

Quoting LoveTragedyFun:

Either you are blind or you blantently CHOOSE to disregard the evidence. I posted a link (of just ONE example).

Quoting ElizabethGracie:

No,I'm not clueless.All disease outbreaks that I've seen have happened in unvaccinated kids.Just because I've had different experiences than you doesn't make me clueless.

And I'm not insulting you,so why are you insulting me and calling me clueless simply because I made a different choice for my children? I was simply trying to have an interesting discussion,but apparently it's impossible for some people to debate without resorting to name calling and attacking. 

Quoting LoveTragedyFun:

LOL, you've never seen that? Then you truly are more clueless than I thought.

Anyway, I would feel the same way regardless of my kids vaccination status. It would be sad, horrible, awful, heartbreaking. All of the above. I would actually be able to understand that regardless of my kids vaccination status, they could STILL get the illness.

Quoting ElizabethGracie:

Yes,I understand how vaccines work. And I've never seen an outbreak in a vaccinated population.Anyway,that's not what I'm asking. If you chose to vaccinate and your child was not old enough to receive the vaccine and then caught measles or smallpox or polio or whatever from an asymptomatic, unvaccinated child and died,how would you feel?

Quoting LoveTragedyFun:

You really are clueless aren't you?

Being vaccinated does not mean prevention. I will say this again, many of these vaccines are LIVE viruses. That means you are injecting the actual illness in to your body. Being vaccinated does not mean that you won't get the illness, in fact you are MORE likely to get certain illnesses.

Again, these "outbreaks" have been MAINLY among the vaccinated population, so even IF my kids WERE vaccinated, they could STILL get the illness.... In fact, due to the statistics, one could safely assume that it is more likely for a vaccinated person to get the illness.

Furthermore, most of these illnesses are acute illnesses, they generally clear up on their own. And are generally NOT life threatening, unless the affected person has an already compromised immune system.

Quoting ElizabethGracie:

Well,how would you feel if your child died because they caught a disease from someone? A disease that could have easily been prevented?

CafeMom Tickers

LoveTragedyFun
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 4:43 AM

Of course, I do know how to read....

And if you are ok with using your children as guinea pigs, hoping that they will remain safe, good for you. But I am not.

I do NOT believe that vaccines are either safe OR effective, clearly this proves my point.

Quoting ElizabethGracie:

And did you notice that they said that even though the vaccine wasn't as effective as they would like,it was still better to vaccinate than to not vaccinate?

Quoting LoveTragedyFun:

http://vtdigger.org/2012/10/08/90-percent-of-whooping-cough-cases-in-vermont-among-vaccinated-children/

just ONE example.....

ElizabethGracie
by Gold Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 4:44 AM

In that article,the majority of people who caught it were not vaccinated. Or they were too young for the vaccines to have fully taken.

Quoting LoveTragedyFun:

another news story

CafeMom Tickers

LoveTragedyFun
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 4:45 AM

Hmmm, according the NY Times, vaccination compliance is at an all time high....

LoveTragedyFun
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 4:46 AM
2 moms liked this

332 cases, 197 were fully vaccinated, that is 60% of those affected, so MOST of those affected were vaccinated....so yeah, my argument is valid.

Quoting ElizabethGracie:

In that article,the majority of people who caught it were not vaccinated. Or they were too young for the vaccines to have fully taken.

Quoting LoveTragedyFun:

another news story

ElizabethGracie
by Gold Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 4:46 AM
1 mom liked this

In every article that you've posted,it has stated that it is still better to vaccinate your kids than to not vaccinate them. So really,you're the one ignoring the evidence. You're taking pieces of the information and twisting it to suit your needs. It doesn't prove your point when it still says that's it's best to vaccinate your kids!

Quoting LoveTragedyFun:

Of course, I do know how to read....

And if you are ok with using your children as guinea pigs, hoping that they will remain safe, good for you. But I am not.

I do NOT believe that vaccines are either safe OR effective, clearly this proves my point.

Quoting ElizabethGracie:

Quoting LoveTragedyFun:

just ONE example.....

CafeMom Tickers

autodidact
by Snarknado on Mar. 10, 2013 at 4:47 AM

murder charges would be ridiculous

ElizabethGracie
by Gold Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 4:49 AM

No,your argument is not valid,because the same articles that you're trying to use to prove your point are still saying that you should vaccinate your kids.

Quoting LoveTragedyFun:

332 cases, 197 were fully vaccinated, that is 60% of those affected, so MOST of those affected were vaccinated....so yeah, my argument is valid.

Quoting ElizabethGracie:

Quoting LoveTragedyFun:

another news story

CafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)