Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Vaccines-Hypothetical Question-How Would You Feel If This Happened To Your Child?

So my dh has stolen the remote and is watching Law&Order:SVU,which I normally don't find very interesting,but this particular episode made me think of Cafemom.

So this mother chooses not to vaccinate her four year old child.The child gets measles, doesn't display any symptoms during the early stage of contagion and the mom takes him to a park,where he infects two children,who were also not vaccinated because they were not yet of the age to receive the vaccine. One of the children dies of a brain infection due to measles. The mother of the non-vaccinating four year old is put on trial for murder.

Now,I'm not saying that this could or would happen. But if your child was eleven months old,not yet old enough to be immunized and then died because of a choice someone else made for their child,how would you feel?

I thought it brought up some very interesting questions about personal responsibility to yourself,your child and your community and how our choices can affect other people's lives.

CafeMom Tickers

"Live as if you have faith and faith will be given to you"

by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 3:31 AM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 10, 2013 at 4:49 AM
1 mom liked this
Go run a Google search for "outbreaks in vaccinated populations". You'll find measles, mumps, whooping cough, chicken pox, and flu outbreaks in highly vaccinated populations, and that's only the first page.
LoveTragedyFun
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 4:50 AM
3 moms liked this

You believe everything the govt tells you? Well that is just plain stupid. I won't believe ANYTHING the govt tells me. Of COURSE they tell you that its best, it fits their agenda. If you think that the American govt is here to help you, I feel sorry for you.  I am not conspiracy theorist, but I NEVER take ANYTHING at face value. I will research and make the decisions that are best for MY family.

I am not saying that those who vaccinate are bad parents. I AM saying that vaccination is NOT a one size fits all thing. EVERY family needs to decide what works for THEM and neither party is under ANY obligation to another.

Quoting ElizabethGracie:

In every article that you've posted,it has stated that it is still better to vaccinate your kids than to not vaccinate them. So really,you're the one ignoring the evidence. You're taking pieces of the information and twisting it to suit your needs. It doesn't prove your point when it still says that's it's best to vaccinate your kids!

Quoting LoveTragedyFun:

Of course, I do know how to read....

And if you are ok with using your children as guinea pigs, hoping that they will remain safe, good for you. But I am not.

I do NOT believe that vaccines are either safe OR effective, clearly this proves my point.

Quoting ElizabethGracie:

And did you notice that they said that even though the vaccine wasn't as effective as they would like,it was still better to vaccinate than to not vaccinate?

Quoting LoveTragedyFun:

http://vtdigger.org/2012/10/08/90-percent-of-whooping-cough-cases-in-vermont-among-vaccinated-children/

just ONE example.....

But you would know that if you researched.

3mommyandwifey
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 4:52 AM
This

Quoting Anonymous:

I saw this episode a long time ago and I agreed with charging the mom.  The problem with non vaxing parents is that they were not born when these diseases killed and maimed, so they have no clue what it was like before the vaccines.  What is going to happen(and the medical community is afraid of this) is that we are going to see a return of these diseases. Measles is back, whooping cough, etc...there also was a documented case of polio.  These diseases did not exist a few  years back.  I don't know how any parent allows their child to go  out into this world unvaccinated.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 10, 2013 at 4:53 AM
Actually that could happen in a major city. And just like it was.done in the episode to shut the city up.. It'd be the same. Better on the state to lock up one woman than to have riots about the matter.and it wasn't BC she didn't vaccinate its that her son had a fatal sickness and she brought him to the park.kinda like having aids and having sex.. Its murder.

Quoting LivysMama:

That whole episode was alarmist bullshit. My dd can't get vaccines because of her egg allergy...what should I do? Keep her locked up forever? No one with any kind of a working understanding of vaccinations would believe that non-vaxing mom deserved to go on trial.

Sorry, btw, not yelling at you! That episode just really made me mad and it's the reason I stopped watching SVU.

ElizabethGracie
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 4:57 AM

Exactly...if someone was going around having unprotected sex, knowingly spreading chlamydia and herpes and AIDS...people would be screaming for that person's head. It wouldn't be a matter of personal choice then.

Quoting Anonymous:

Actually that could happen in a major city. And just like it was.done in the episode to shut the city up.. It'd be the same. Better on the state to lock up one woman than to have riots about the matter.and it wasn't BC she didn't vaccinate its that her son had a fatal sickness and she brought him to the park.kinda like having aids and having sex.. Its murder.

Quoting LivysMama:

That whole episode was alarmist bullshit. My dd can't get vaccines because of her egg allergy...what should I do? Keep her locked up forever? No one with any kind of a working understanding of vaccinations would believe that non-vaxing mom deserved to go on trial.

Sorry, btw, not yelling at you! That episode just really made me mad and it's the reason I stopped watching SVU.

CafeMom Tickers

"Live as if you have faith and faith will be given to you"

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 10, 2013 at 4:59 AM

Well some people can't get vaccinations due to different reasons. Like my mother for instance. Every time she gets vaccinated for something, she ends up getting it. I can only remember two, the flu and pneumonia, she was hospitalized for both.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Mar. 10, 2013 at 5:01 AM
1 mom liked this

So lets vaccinate our children with the risk of death or severe or mild side effects from a vaccine/s because it's all worth it to prevent us from going to prison/be charged/be handed the death sentence ourselves for murder or attempted murder

DvlDogWfe
by Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 5:03 AM
3 moms liked this
I would rather put faith in my dr. then belive something I read over the internet. Its the internet! Anybody can write whatever they want and put a label or signature on it to make it seem valid.

Quoting LoveTragedyFun:

You believe everything the govt tells you? Well that is just plain stupid. I won't believe ANYTHING the govt tells me. Of COURSE they tell you that its best, it fits their agenda. If you think that the American govt is here to help you, I feel sorry for you.  I am not conspiracy theorist, but I NEVER take ANYTHING at face value. I will research and make the decisions that are best for MY family.

I am not saying that those who vaccinate are bad parents. I AM saying that vaccination is NOT a one size fits all thing. EVERY family needs to decide what works for THEM and neither party is under ANY obligation to another.

Quoting ElizabethGracie:

In every article that you've posted,it has stated that it is still better to vaccinate your kids than to not vaccinate them. So really,you're the one ignoring the evidence. You're taking pieces of the information and twisting it to suit your needs. It doesn't prove your point when it still says that's it's best to vaccinate your kids!

Quoting LoveTragedyFun:

Of course, I do know how to read....

And if you are ok with using your children as guinea pigs, hoping that they will remain safe, good for you. But I am not.

I do NOT believe that vaccines are either safe OR effective, clearly this proves my point.

Quoting ElizabethGracie:

And did you notice that they said that even though the vaccine wasn't as effective as they would like,it was still better to vaccinate than to not vaccinate?

Quoting LoveTragedyFun:

http://vtdigger.org/2012/10/08/90-percent-of-whooping-cough-cases-in-vermont-among-vaccinated-children/

just ONE example.....

But you would know that if you researched.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LoveTragedyFun
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 5:04 AM
1 mom liked this

So by your logic, if your vaccinated child sheds the illness to another, that childs mother could sue you?

Unvaccinated people are not the problem. They are not disease ridden. In fact, they are probably generally more healthy than the vaccinated population. And unless you routinely go around asking EVERY SINGLE PERSON their vaccination status, how could you possibly know who the illness came from?

These illness are generally NOT deadly. Those complications arise in those who have a compromised immune system already.

Quoting ElizabethGracie:

Exactly...if someone was going around having unprotected sex, knowingly spreading chlamydia and herpes and AIDS...people would be screaming for that person's head. It wouldn't be a matter of personal choice then.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting LivysMama:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Mar. 10, 2013 at 5:07 AM

Do you believe what the CDC says?

Quoting LoveTragedyFun:

So by your logic, if your vaccinated child sheds the illness to another, that childs mother could sue you?

Unvaccinated people are not the problem. They are not disease ridden. In fact, they are probably generally more healthy than the vaccinated population. And unless you routinely go around asking EVERY SINGLE PERSON their vaccination status, how could you possibly know who the illness came from?

These illness are generally NOT deadly. Those complications arise in those who have a compromised immune system already.

Quoting ElizabethGracie:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting LivysMama:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN