Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should problem students be automatically disenroled at the age of 16?

Posted by   + Show Post

Last night my entire family and I went out to dinner for FIL's BD. My SIL told us one of the topics her Current Issues and Events class. This dinner topic was a topic stemmed from something that had happened to her earlier in school Friday ( group of disruptive students caused her to miss 5 questions on her Astronomy quiz). Her teacher ask them if they thought students who are habitual failers simply because they don't care to try and/or troublemakers should be disenroled at 16. She said her class was split on the issue.

Some felt it was unfair to the students who would be disenroled and prey on the poor, which are usually the problem students. They also felt it would set them up for poverty because they would not be able to find work w/out a diploma. While others felt the rights of students who are not problems and/or don't try trump the rights of those students who are and the money "wasted" (65 hundred a school year) on them could go to new books and things that would help the behaved students and go towards programs geared students who are struggling. They also felt it was unfair to those students who are distracted by the toublemakers. You can obviously tell where my SIL fell on the issue lol

I think we all understand hat the problem is heavily caused by admins who often to not back up teachers, but is some this also caused by the students? What should we do with them? Should they be disenroled if they have proven disciplinary problems and/or are students who can not succeed due to their own lack of care? What should we do with them after they are taken out?

*If you read my post and there are mistakes in my spelling or grammar please note that I never learned either in school and I am currently learning them now. If you see a mistake POLITELY point it out and I'll be more than happy to correct my mistake. Here's a fun little siggy for your enjoyment. *

by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:36 PM
Replies (11-20):
lazycervix
by Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:46 PM

You can not withdraw until 18 unless you have parental permission before then.

Quoting Anonymous:

I thought at 16 a kid would withdraw anyway?

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers
audreesmama
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:46 PM
That makes no sense. How would you get into it...being on your best behavior?

Quoting ButterMeUp:

We have one here, however you cannot attend if you are a discipline problem at your current school.

Quoting xtwistedxlovex:

Isn't that what Alternative Learning Centers are for?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lazycervix
by Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:47 PM

My son is 13 he has severe adhd and even with 50mg of aderoll twice a day is still very impulsive. He may disrupt class but he gets c and b's grades wise. So I would say no you can not do that because that would mean my child would get thrown out at 16 and not have any options for the rest of his life.

ButterMeUp
by Butters on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Yes, we have a "crossroads center". However the students there are often illiterate and are just passed though.

Quoting audreesmama:

Lol I know this. We have alternative schools do children who are in need of more strict discipline in order to learn. Those with tarnished records also go, so they can learn in a more strict environment. Do you have these schools?

Quoting ButterMeUp:

I agree to a point, but how eactlly do you do that? Even teachers who care get worndown fromthe students who dont.

Quoting audreesmama:

I do not agree with giving up on young people who are future. We need to find a better way to motivate and engage.

*If you read my post and there are mistakes in my spelling or grammar please note that I never learned either in school and I am currently learning them now. If you see a mistake POLITELY point it out and I'll be more than happy to correct my mistake. Here's a fun little siggy for your enjoyment. *

audreesmama
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:51 PM
That's not what I mean. We have schools for children with extensive discipline issues. It is a really awesome alternative for these kids. They aren't just passed through, though.

Quoting ButterMeUp:

Yes, we have a "crossroads center". However the students there are often illiterate and are just passed though.

Quoting audreesmama:

Lol I know this. We have alternative schools do children who are in need of more strict discipline in order to learn. Those with tarnished records also go, so they can learn in a more strict environment. Do you have these schools?

Quoting ButterMeUp:

I agree to a point, but how eactlly do you do that? Even teachers who care get worndown fromthe students who dont.

Quoting audreesmama:

I do not agree with giving up on young people who are future. We need to find a better way to motivate and engage.

xtwistedxlovex
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Ours were mostly for the problem students. I chose to transfer to one not realizing that and it was a bit of a shock. One kid even bragged to me that he'd been expelled from his mainstream school for sexually harrassing 4 girls :-/

Quoting ButterMeUp:

We have one here, however you cannot attend if you are a discipline problem at your current school.

Quoting xtwistedxlovex:

quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:52 PM
Of course they can make those decisions. At 16 you can be legally emancipated. In most states you do not have to have your parents to drop out. Schools either need to do something with the problem students one way or the other because it is stealing the education of the good students.

Quoting audreesmama:

At 16, you can't make most decisions for yourself because you are not 'adult' enough to do so. Why should a child be in charge if his or her own education at. 16?

Quoting quickbooksworm:

At 16-17, yes, kick them out. Its not fair to take instruction time away from students who care and want to be there. At 16, you either believe or not that education is important.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AubreesMommy513
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:52 PM
I'm for it. A lot of kids end up dropping out anyway.
Not_A_Native
by Platinum Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:52 PM

I was astounded by something I found out when I was on our school boards curriculum committee.

The "alternative" school costs 3x as much as 'regular" school per student.  They only have an 18% graduation rate, compared to 98.9% for the rest of the district.  We are required (by state law) to offer this education until they are 19 years old.  By the kids just showing up - at least once per week - they stay enrolled.  They can fail every class,year after year, and they are STILL enrolled.  And as long as they are enrolled, they get state benefits.

Cut 'em loose.  They don't want to be there nor do they value the education.

ButterMeUp
by Butters on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:54 PM
I think I misunderstood your first reply. I thought you ment alternative learning centers, not schools meant to punish. We have one of both. One is for students who struggle in school and the other is for problem students.

Quoting xtwistedxlovex:

Ours were mostly for the problem students. I chose to transfer to one not realizing that and it was a bit of a shock. One kid even bragged to me that he'd been expelled from his mainstream school for sexually harrassing 4 girls :-/

Quoting ButterMeUp:

Quoting xtwistedxlovex:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured