Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Should problem students be automatically disenroled at the age of 16?

Posted by   + Show Post

Last night my entire family and I went out to dinner for FIL's BD. My SIL told us one of the topics her Current Issues and Events class. This dinner topic was a topic stemmed from something that had happened to her earlier in school Friday ( group of disruptive students caused her to miss 5 questions on her Astronomy quiz). Her teacher ask them if they thought students who are habitual failers simply because they don't care to try and/or troublemakers should be disenroled at 16. She said her class was split on the issue.

Some felt it was unfair to the students who would be disenroled and prey on the poor, which are usually the problem students. They also felt it would set them up for poverty because they would not be able to find work w/out a diploma. While others felt the rights of students who are not problems and/or don't try trump the rights of those students who are and the money "wasted" (65 hundred a school year) on them could go to new books and things that would help the behaved students and go towards programs geared students who are struggling. They also felt it was unfair to those students who are distracted by the toublemakers. You can obviously tell where my SIL fell on the issue lol

I think we all understand hat the problem is heavily caused by admins who often to not back up teachers, but is some this also caused by the students? What should we do with them? Should they be disenroled if they have proven disciplinary problems and/or are students who can not succeed due to their own lack of care? What should we do with them after they are taken out?

*If you read my post and there are mistakes in my spelling or grammar please note that I never learned either in school and I am currently learning them now. If you see a mistake POLITELY point it out and I'll be more than happy to correct my mistake. Here's a fun little siggy for your enjoyment. *

by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:36 PM
Replies (81-88):
jadedcynic
by Nerdalicious on Mar. 11, 2013 at 8:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I honestly feel that the schools don't try hard enough. They adhere to a one size fits all approach that doesn't work for every student. Too many kids get left behind because they don't get the material. To disenroll students because they don't fit the mold is wrong.

SWasson
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Since a high school diploma of some sort is the bare minimum level of education you need in this country in order to get a halfway decent job, just kicking them out (assuming you're not talking about kids who are a danger to others) seems like a really bad idea, long-term. How about voc-ed programs? Non-standard programs, like night school, or intensive programs, for kids who act out because the pace is just too slow to keep their focus? We can't afford to have even more of our population dependent on assistance or ending up in prison.

ButterMeUp
by Butters on Mar. 11, 2013 at 10:28 PM
It's gym class, not an academic class. She wasnt dressing out becase she wasnt able to under those circumstances. It's not like she was cutting up and acting a fool.

Quoting Anonymous:

OP is this the same SIL that you made a post about flunking because she wouldn't dress out in gym?  If so then it sounds like she could be one of those difficult students that should be given up on!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ButterMeUp
by Butters on Mar. 11, 2013 at 10:31 PM
While I agree, I don't think you understand the context of my question. We are discussing children with poor and disruptive behavior and those who fail because of lack of trying, not those who simply just don't get the material.

Quoting jadedcynic:

I honestly feel that the schools don't try hard enough. They adhere to a one size fits all approach that doesn't work for every student. Too many kids get left behind because they don't get the material. To disenroll students because they don't fit the mold is wrong.

jadedcynic
by Nerdalicious on Mar. 11, 2013 at 10:33 PM

A lot of the time the reason they are disruptive is because they have given up. School doesn't fit their personality and they have trouble grasping the material.

Quoting ButterMeUp:

While I agree, I don't think you understand the context of my question. We are discussing children with poor and disruptive behavior and those who fail because of lack of trying, not those who simply just don't get the material.

Quoting jadedcynic:

ButterMeUp
by Butters on Mar. 11, 2013 at 10:43 PM
No, many of these kids cut up and act a fool because they don't yet understand the value of that free education they are provided with. While I understand some of them feel helpless, many of them just have no home training.

Quoting jadedcynic:

A lot of the time the reason they are disruptive is because they have given up. School doesn't fit their personality and they have trouble grasping the material.

Quoting ButterMeUp:

Quoting jadedcynic:

jadedcynic
by Nerdalicious on Mar. 11, 2013 at 11:25 PM

So we just give up on them because everyone else has already? I don't think that's appropriate. Sure, they may not have discipline, but there are reasons behind everyone's actions.

Quoting ButterMeUp:

No, many of these kids cut up and act a fool because they don't yet understand the value of that free education they are provided with. While I understand some of them feel helpless, many of them just have no home training.

Quoting jadedcynic:

Quoting ButterMeUp:

Quoting jadedcynic:

jadedcynic
by Nerdalicious on Mar. 11, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Plus, they have the option to drop out if they want at that age. If they have not dropped out, that means they have some reason for staying.

Quoting ButterMeUp:

Quoting jadedcynic:

Quoting ButterMeUp:

Quoting jadedcynic:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)