Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Giving your kids names that they can't "grow with"

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 90 Replies

I call BS when I see people say "but that name won't sound right in a professional setting!"

My name is Tudi lol I am market research analyst and my sister, who's name is Emmie, is a paralegal.

We have never had problems getting jobs. You make your name work, it's about the person. Names are not THAT important like some of you ladies seem to think.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 10, 2013 at 5:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jillbailey26
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 5:29 PM
2 moms liked this

We named our daughter Grace because Gracie, to us, wouldn't sound too great on a 45 year old woman.  So, her name is Grace and we call her Gracie.  My oldest is Kenneth, but we call him Kenny.  He's already chosen to go by Kenneth in school.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

Humanoid
by OMGmirxx on Mar. 10, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Its a 50/50 with me. Completly immature names, kinda bug me, It makes me feel bad for the teen/person.

Iv seen several get made fun of because of it.

VannaMae307
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 5:31 PM

The dr that delivered my son was Phoebe, her sister, Roxanne was his pediatrician. They were the cutest doctors ever, I loved their names!!!

My son's name is boring...Trevor. We didn't want him to have anything long because our last name has 13 letters. Those tests where the bubbles have to be filled in are going to be a real bitch already. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 10, 2013 at 5:34 PM

What sort of names would be "completely immature" Examples?

Quoting Humanoid:

Its a 50/50 with me. Completly immature names, kinda bug me, It makes me feel bad for the teen/person.

Iv seen several get made fun of because of it.

tennisgal
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 5:35 PM
1 mom liked this

and I call BS that giving your child a "unique" name will automatically make them unique when most parents (on here for sure) do everything they can to make their child fit in (having the name brands, the gadgets, the freedoms/privileges). 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 10, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Aww, hi Tudi! That's cute! I mean....can also be professional. :) 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 10, 2013 at 5:36 PM

I don't like trendy names for a similar reason....

TeamTARDIS
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 5:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I can't stand names that are 'cutified' as a full name. Gracie, Jessie, Ellie, Evie etc. You can take a nice name like Grace, Jessica, Ella/Elle and Eva/Eve and make it a nn for personal use, but why would you want your child's name to perpetually sound like a nickname?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 10, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Quoting TeamTARDIS:

I can't stand names that are 'cutified' as a full name. Gracie, Jessie, Ellie, Evie etc. You can take a nice name like Grace, Jessica, Ella/Elle and Eva/Eve and make it a nn for personal use, but why would you want your child's name to perpetually sound like a nickname?

Well not sure what Tudi could be short for but my parents just liked Emmie; not Emily or whatever.

DixieL
by Platinum Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 5:39 PM

When I was younger I hated my name, because it was too different. I wanted to change it. After I got older, I love my name, because it's different. I wouldn't change it for the world. My name is Dixie.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)