Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Spending $800 on a ring while on FS

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 54 Replies
3 moms liked this
My best friend's little sister moved in with her bf when she turned 18. He lost his job and she works for a little above minimum wage. They had to get on FS. Last month she got engaged. She came over the other day with my friend and when I brought up how pretty her ring was she started bragging that it cost him $800 because he told her it cost them 2 months of rent. Of course I didn't say anything to her but it seems pretty ridiculous to spend that kind of money on something that isn't even necessary when you're struggling to pay for groceries. What do you think?
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 10, 2013 at 5:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 10, 2013 at 5:37 PM
2 moms liked this

I think I would have had a hard time keeping my mouth shut.

ashley9603
by RunningMomma on Mar. 10, 2013 at 5:38 PM

I have seen people spend far more money....I wouldnt if I was having a hard time paying for the basics,but to each its own I guess.

kansasmom1978
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 5:39 PM

If they had the money to buy it than so what. I am sure they could have spent the money more wisely. I did not have an engagement ring till we were married for 3 years. And he decided I should have one. It did not cost more than a hundred bucks and it's beautiful. 

gingerszabo21
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Sounds a lot like my cousin who only qualified for fs because she was "diagnosed" with fibromyalgia, has to borrow money to pay her child support from my aunt (she only has to pay $50/month and she's neer payed the aunt back a penny), yet has the money to get a tattoo and eat out all the time.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 10, 2013 at 5:40 PM
Wow my whole set when I got married to my xh wasn't even close to that and we weren't on F's. We both had very good ft jobs, insurance, benefits ect...
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 10, 2013 at 5:44 PM
Right? $800 could be 4 months worth of groceries for 2 people.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think I would have had a hard time keeping my mouth shut.

aandt1999
by Platinum Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 5:45 PM
4 moms liked this

It shouldn't matter to you. Not your business or ours. Maybe she's lying. Maybe he's lying. Maybe he is making payments on it. Maybe he got a tax return and bought it with that and because if you get approved for fs you usually get them for at least 6 months regardless of what money comes into the householMaybe they are making payments and it's their business. Who cares really.

anotherhalf
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 6:47 PM

I bet it's a fake from Walmart.

babiegurl47
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 6:48 PM
Their business. It could be worse.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 10, 2013 at 6:48 PM

why do you care?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)