Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Public Assistance

Posted by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 7:41 PM
  • 21 Replies
1 mom liked this

My DH and I are on Public Assistance. We have been trying really hard to get off of Public Assistance in the hopes someone who actually needs it can get it.  Recently I got this recently awesome job helping people with Developmental disabilityies. I make decent money but I am afraid its not going to be enough. We have already cut out everything we can so that we are on the bare minimum of things we need. I am hoping to start up school in the fall and get my LPN and then hopefully my ASN degree after that. I know that after I get my ASN and get a job as a Nurse we more than likely won't need it anymore but I want to get off of it sooner. In all honesty I hate it. I understand that we need it but I hate having to tell my DH no when we are in the store because we just don't have the money for it. I don't make much but right now I am hoping that I will get enough hours that we can start doing things and working towards being off Public Assistance. My DH brings in enough while on Public Assistance to cover most of the bills with me having to cover like the water bill or something small. Since I just got this job I haven't even gotten my first pay check yet but I got 40 hours on it so I am happy and I talked to my scheduler and I am looking at working the next 7 days straight, unfortunatly though because my work week ends on Friday I won't have any overtime I don't think, but that would definitly help a lot. My DH trys but there really is so little that he can do and I just want to be able to say sure we can afford that fancy cereal or yeah we can buy the more expensive brand or yes we can afford to get our kids the more expensive items. We are trying really hard and I am happy for the work we put in. No matter how much or how little assistance we get we manage to survive and that makes me happy.

by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 7:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momo3fgr8tteens
by Ruby Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Ok thanks for sharing. 

MysticIceWater
by Saphyres mommy on Mar. 10, 2013 at 8:03 PM

BUMP!

kirab5
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 8:11 PM

BUMP!

Nicole.Brown
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 8:12 PM

cool?

mamaBerg85
by Gold Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 8:13 PM
As long as ur trying!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 10, 2013 at 8:14 PM
Well, I guess he is not trying hard enough, because if illegals can support families without PA, then why cant your husband?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 10, 2013 at 8:15 PM
Didn't read...
lorial58
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 8:16 PM

You know what?  As long as you qualify for it without cheating or lying I sure would use it.  You really need to put just a little bit of money away for an emergency with the water heater or the car or the plumbing or a medical problem.....that JUST IN CASE money.  When You become a nurse you will more than pay back my taxes dollars just as I did when I became a nurse but I was so proud of getting that license that I ended my welfare and food stamps and WIC too soon and sure enough got in trouble just the next month when the car went to hell.  

wkukid
by Beach Bum on Mar. 10, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Sounds like you are actually trying to better yourself. You are the type that actually needs it.

MysticIceWater
by Saphyres mommy on Mar. 10, 2013 at 8:31 PM

I love seeing people support each other! :D WTG to you and your DH! keep it up. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)