Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Baking Mamas! Help!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies
DD's first birthday is coming up! I need help making this cake a little healthier. She can't have any dairy, soy or rice milk, and eggs.

Vegan Banana Cake

2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup oil
4 ripe bananas, mashed
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla

I would like to replace unsweetened applesauce for the oil. Can I do that? Is there any way I could cut out some sugar? What about a frosting?

Any tips are helpful!
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
baquick
by Ruby Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:49 PM
I don't think you can. It would make it very watery. It's best to leave the recipe be.

Why change the oil for applesauce?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
baquick
by Ruby Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:52 PM
Can she handle almond milk and yogurt? If so here's a recipe.

Ingredients:

1 cup dairy-free soy margarine (such as Willow Run)
4 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 t. vanilla extract
2 T. plain unsweetened almond milk or soymilk
1 T. plain soy yogurt
Preparation:

1. In a large mixing bowl using an electric hand mixer, cream the soy margarine until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the confectioners sugar gradually, beating at a low speed until combined. Turn up the speed to high, add the remaining ingredients, and beat until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Chill slightly before using to frost dairy-free cakes and cupcakes.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 10, 2013 at 10:20 PM

With that list of allergies I would be happy to find any recipe.  Feel free to test but you are already looking at a greatly altered recipe.

MixedCooke
by Platinum Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 2:32 AM

yes the applesauce for the oil, if you use extra ripe bananas, you will not need the additional sugar.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 11, 2013 at 3:00 AM

The sugar not only adds sweetness, but it will affect the texture and volume, too, if you leave it out. I do think you could use unsweetened applesauce for the oil. Make sure the bananas are really ripe and leave out 1/4 cup of the sugar.

VarelaClan
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 3:03 AM
Whole wheat flour

Applesauce instead of sugar and a little oil
Mrs.Pedro
by Platinum Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 3:05 AM
Use canola or coconut oil(i think you can use applesauce in place of oils as well) and whole wheat or quinoa flour?
cjsix
by Platinum Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 3:08 AM

You can use applesauce for the oil the same amount 1/4 cup oil means 1/4 cup applesauce.

How about instead of actually frosting it you just sprinkle on some powdered sugar. If you use a sifter it will look really pretty.

The only other thing I can think of is to try adding some almond flour or something along that line,the gluten free flours but,I don't know much about them except to buy the Bob's Mill Gluten free baking mix which is good.

Happy Birthday Little One!  happy birthday

cjsix
by Platinum Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 3:10 AM

Quoting baquick:

I don't think you can. It would make it very watery. It's best to leave the recipe be.

Why change the oil for applesauce?

Applesauce is a great substitute for oil in a baking recipe like a cake as it gives it the same taste and texture yet,cuts the fat. I've done this substitute many times and it's so good!

VarelaClan
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 3:17 AM
Here is one I made for one of my babies' 1st birthday. It tastes like banana bread.

Healthy First Birthday Cake Recipes - Sugar Free Applesauce and Banana Cake

8 oz (2 cups) whole wheat flour
1 tbsp wheat germ
1 heaped tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon (optional)
6 medium, ripe bananas - mashed
8 fl oz (1 cup) sugar-free applesauce
2-4 fl oz (1/4 to 1/2 cup) soy milk (I used breastmilk, but you could use almond milk)

Don't worry I made it with breastmilk and only fed it to him. The rest of the party attendees had regular cake.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN