Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My kids have a funeral tommorow HELP ME PLEASE

Posted by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:13 AM
  • 13 Replies

I havent been to a funeral since I was 7 or 8 years old. No one close to me has ever died. My 6 year old and 11 year old are scared to see the body much less be in the same room as the body. I used to be a CNA so I have seen dead bodies since I would have to clean them after they passed because the person defocated. What do I do? I know this is the cycle of life. Please help me. I dont want my kids freaking out. I know my 3 year old wont even know.

by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cinnamonkiti
by Platinum Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:14 AM
Just support them and tell them that they don't have to look at the body.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
krissy920
by Gold Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 7:43 AM

I dont think id take my children to the funeral. When i was 5 or 6 my grandmother passed away, my mom had no one to watch us as the funeral was in chicago and we lived in another state. My brother and i went to the funeral but we sat in the  back. We did not see the body. Im all for explaining life and death to children, i just  dont want my children to have to see  it if  they dont have too.

With that being said, if it was their dad or a family member they were close too, and they wanted to say goodbye i would let them.

lovemyhoney19
by Gold Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 7:47 AM
You need to keep your cool mom. If you freak out they will probably freak out too. My grandfather passed away two years ago. My dd was 3 & I had no choice but to take her to the funeral. She did good. She saw him and even put her hand on his Chest. She loved him and cried a little but she did really good. She needed to experience that. It's life. She still remembers him when he was alive and remembers his funeral but not in a scary way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 11, 2013 at 7:47 AM

If you are that worried they will freak out don't take them!

LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Mar. 11, 2013 at 7:48 AM
If they were freaked out, i wouldnt make them go.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aimeegreen4ever
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 7:48 AM
I wouldn't make them go or maybe keep them seated in the back if they do go. I've seen one dead person at a funeral, that was probably 7yrs ago, I still can't get that image out of my head.
DannieLou
by Mockingjay on Mar. 11, 2013 at 7:48 AM
Let them sit where they're comfortable and don't force anything. When I was 8, I refused at first. I was close to my grampa, though. In the end, I went to him to say goodbye. Then they couldn't get me to move. Funerals are rough no matter the age.
Anonopotamus
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 7:49 AM
If they don't want to go don't take them. If they are afraid to see the body don't make them. We left the option open to our children and they chose to see their grandmother. It helped them understand where she was, where she was going and that she was going to be safe there.
Roo1234
by Platinum Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 7:51 AM
frankly, I'm not a fan of viewings either. don't force your kids. they can attend the services without having to see the deceased.
allycally
by Platinum Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 7:52 AM
The kids at ur Childrens age usually all stay together out side of the room or end up in the lounge eating snacks for the wake.then if there's a mass the casket is closed
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)