Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I refuse to let MY daughter be in a marching band....

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I was at the parade with my daughters yesterday and there was a marching band. Really awesome tune they were playing, kinda reminded me of drumline. Kinda. But then they turned to the crowd, and the girls with the batons (who were wearing a bathing suit and stockings) Spread their legs, dropped their bodies down, knees bent, and started 'popping' their vaginas at the crowd. I made my little girls look the other way.

DISGUSTING.

So yeah, no marching band for my girls.

Or maybe i just won't send them to an inner-city, ghetto high school.

Problem solved.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 11, 2013 at 9:24 AM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 11, 2013 at 9:39 AM
It's probably different in different schools but our dance team is totally separate from the band and no way associated with it. They dance provocatively but the guard does not.

Quoting Anonymous:

I was in matching band. The girls you are referring to are the dance squad (girls who werent popular enough to be cheerleaders). They didnt do that where i went to school.
JLS2388
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 9:40 AM

First of all, you are talking about color guard, no marching band. Color guard marches with the band but they are different. I was in marching band all 4 years of high school, while there were some color guard uniforms that were a little skimpy, I have never seen anything like that. If your DD is in marching band, she will be covered from head to foot.

mcginnisc
by Platinum Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Quoting JenB1983:

Our marching band has the actual band, then guard/flags, AND baton twirlers. My bro's GF was the featured twirler last fall. :-) But, they would never pull crap like what the OP is describing.

Quoting mcginnisc:

Ummm...yeah, that is not Marching Band... Marching Band would encompass Clarinet, Flute, Piccolo, Oboe, Trumpet, Trombone, Drum line, Tuba, etc.. 

Then, you have Color Guard- rifles and flags

Majorettes would be the ones in the leotards with batons<---that is your culprit right there. Not the band. 

Oh, and I love the spin off...lol

I was first chair Piccolo for 4 years in Band, Marching Band and County Orchestra so I've BTDT. The actual marching band are the instrumentalists... the guard and majorettes are actually separate and practice separately but they perform with the band. The majorettes have batons, which is what I was trying to explain to the OP. I've never seen a majorette perform like that, but OP stated they had batons which would not make them the actual band. I know ours never performed in that manner...but, I'm old so what can I say?? It was definitely a different time back then. LOL 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 11, 2013 at 9:50 AM

I was first chair floutist for the last 2 years of my band career. And we didn't have majorettes, or anything. Just the band. I didn't know that they were different from the band.... but I was just being silly with the title, S/O of that cheerleader post. Just a fun way to title my little horror story.

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting JenB1983:

Our marching band has the actual band, then guard/flags, AND baton twirlers. My bro's GF was the featured twirler last fall. :-) But, they would never pull crap like what the OP is describing.

Quoting mcginnisc:

Ummm...yeah, that is not Marching Band... Marching Band would encompass Clarinet, Flute, Piccolo, Oboe, Trumpet, Trombone, Drum line, Tuba, etc.. 

Majorettes would be the ones in the leotards with batons<---that is your culprit right there. Not the band. 

I was first chair Piccolo for 4 years in Band, Marching Band and County Orchestra so I've BTDT. The actual marching band are the instrumentalists... the guard and majorettes are actually separate and practice separately but they perform with the band. The majorettes have batons, which is what I was trying to explain to the OP. I've never seen a majorette perform like that, but OP stated they had batons which would not make them the actual band. I know ours never performed in that manner...but, I'm old so what can I say?? It was definitely a different time back then. LOL 

RiotousDigits
by Ruby Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 9:53 AM

uhm... those girls aren't in the band.  See the lack of musical instrument applied to face or chest?  Not the band.

mom2four1978
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 9:54 AM

I get what you are saying. It probably depends on the school. My oldest DD was in color guard and they never acted like that. However after seeing a dance performance by our local cheerleaders there is no way in HELL any of my girls are gonna be a cheerleader.

mcginnisc
by Platinum Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

I was first chair floutist for the last 2 years of my band career. And we didn't have majorettes, or anything. Just the band. I didn't know that they were different from the band.... but I was just being silly with the title, S/O of that cheerleader post. Just a fun way to title my little horror story.

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting JenB1983:

Quoting mcginnisc:

I had a feeling.. I got a good little chuckle since I had read the cheer post. Yep..they are completely different entities than the band. I went to a huge HS. Our grad class had over 500 students to it and our Band stretched the whole football field..not including the guard and majorettes. Typically, they practice separately, but perform with the band for games and parades. I would have been taken aback by it myself, but like I said- I'm old and graduated when things were a little less risque. LOL 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13 

chalisa0
by Ruby Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 9:57 AM

What on earth are you talking about?  I've never seen a marching band like that.  Our high school marching band wears marching band uniforms.  In fact, they have so many clothes on that the only body parts that are exposed are their hands and faces.  And they're marching and playing instruments.  It would be pretty much impossible for these kids to do the moves you describe while holding a french horn or tuba or drum.  And our drum majors (the ones with the batons?) wear the same uniform-only with even more clothing-a cape and a much taller/fancier hat.  Unless you're talking about a drill team...in that case, you don't know what you're talking about.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 11, 2013 at 9:58 AM
If she is actually playing an instrument you won't have that problem..
BlessedBeX3
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 9:59 AM
1 mom liked this

you're disgusting

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)