Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I've had a 3 year old in time out for 15 minutes now

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Because she won't quit back talking, telling me no, and she won't stay in time out. I told her her 3 minutes starts when she sits there nicely. Day 1 with this kid and she's naughty as all get out. I'm sitting here beside her, ignoring her, so that she'll stay put.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 11, 2013 at 11:54 AM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Um...any average 3 yo knows the word "no".

Your kid is going to walk all over you if you don't stop that shit.

Quoting sarahbsquare:

3 yr olds say no, Grady says it all the time and it doesn't bother me i don't jump all over him because i don't want him to be the image i have for him in my own head.

no can mean kitty to a three yr old who knows so quit being an ass to her and let her be.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Well by stay there you are not doing her any favors.

By walking away all she does is get up. I don't get 3 feet from her before she gets up if I walk away. Any better suggestions?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:09 PM

LOL have fun when he's a teenager...

Quoting sarahbsquare:

3 yr olds say no, Grady says it all the time and it doesn't bother me i don't jump all over him because i don't want him to be the image i have for him in my own head.

no can mean kitty to a three yr old who knows so quit being an ass to her and let her be.

Sister.Menses
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:11 PM
She'll be fine. I've done that before. Don't back down!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Quoting EvaTheDiva29:

yea, she probably forgot what she was in time out for 12 minutes ago......good luck with all that!

Yeah, probably. But she knows she's supposed to be sitting in time out and is disobeying so whether she remembers why she's there or not at this point is kind of irrelevant.

kelliehelvie
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:12 PM
Sounds like when she back talks you, you're reacting to it...

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting kelliehelvie:

Don't talk to her!!!! Just sit her down and turn away. She can talk and scream and kick and yell in time out...just no getting up. If she gets up pick her up and sit her back down. No words or eye contact.

That's what I'm doing and why I'm on cm. I'm just ignoring her. She's pretty stubborn. lol

confused0701
by Gold Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah timeouts were going the same way op's were and I was at wit's end.  Then I remembered what my grandmother used to do to us with the penny.  Works like a charm.  Now all I have to say is "Do I need to get the penny out?"  and she snaps in line.  I have a penny on me at all times no matter where we are.  She's been in the middle of the grocery and stuck doing it one time.  Talk about making her think twice after that one!

Quoting EvilAsh:

oooh that's a good one! 

The first time my mom was over and saw a time out, she's like... wowwww. 

I told my oldest to get her butt in time out, and she goes over, hands straight down at her sides, quiets down, and forehead on the wall. 

I was like... what? She's like that's just amazing she does that. Well, she knows better! They don't get timeouts often, but when they do, it's not a game.

Quoting confused0701:

Same theory here but she has to hold a penny to the wall with her nose.  It drops time starts over!

Quoting EvilAsh:

Don't give in! Lol. It takes a few times of doing that and they learn to just give up after a few minutes. Mine rarely struggle with it anymore, they know they get against the time out wall, forehead on the wall and hands at their sides.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting EvilAsh:

My kids have sat in a time out for over an hour before. They know it doesn't start until they're calm and quiet. 

Yeah, well it looks like that might be how this goes.

Sister.Menses
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:13 PM
My 1 year old knew "no". You're going to have your hands full lady.

Quoting sarahbsquare:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Quoting kelliehelvie:

Sounds like when she back talks you, you're reacting to it...

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting kelliehelvie:

Don't talk to her!!!! Just sit her down and turn away. She can talk and scream and kick and yell in time out...just no getting up. If she gets up pick her up and sit her back down. No words or eye contact.

That's what I'm doing and why I'm on cm. I'm just ignoring her. She's pretty stubborn. lol

How do you figure?

LadySlimm
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:14 PM

I have to have my children's locks on the outside because they can manipulate locks and the safety covers. 

And not just for punishment. There have been times they have locked themselves in their rooms. That could be dangerous!

Quoting aidyns_mommy:

We love this. We even have ds door lock on the outside not the inside after reading this book. People think we are cruel lol.

Quoting Anonymous:

Have you tried the 1-2-3 Magic approach? My DD's school uses it in PreK and it works.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)