Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I've had a 3 year old in time out for 15 minutes now

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Because she won't quit back talking, telling me no, and she won't stay in time out. I told her her 3 minutes starts when she sits there nicely. Day 1 with this kid and she's naughty as all get out. I'm sitting here beside her, ignoring her, so that she'll stay put.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 11, 2013 at 11:54 AM
Replies (41-50):
kelliehelvie
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:14 PM
Don't talk to her or look at her. Then restart the timer. She will watch you do it. At age 3 she'll get it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Well by stay there you are not doing her any favors.

By walking away all she does is get up. I don't get 3 feet from her before she gets up if I walk away. Any better suggestions?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
confused0701
by Gold Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Take her by the arm and walk her butt straight back over there without saying a word and walk away it might take a while but she'll eventually give in.  With you sitting there she's just gonna keep going on and on because she knows she'll eventually get a reaction.  You have to be more stubborn than her!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

By walking away all she does is get up. I don't get 3 feet from her before she gets up if I walk away. Any better suggestions?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Quoting LadySlimm:

I have to have my children's locks on the outside because they can manipulate locks and the safety covers. 

And not just for punishment. There have been times they have locked themselves in their rooms. That could be dangerous!

Quoting aidyns_mommy:

We love this. We even have ds door lock on the outside not the inside after reading this book. People think we are cruel lol.

Quoting Anonymous:

Have you tried the 1-2-3 Magic approach? My DD's school uses it in PreK and it works.

My kids have locked themselves in their rooms too but the door handle comes off from the outside.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Quoting confused0701:

Take her by the arm and walk her butt straight back over there without saying a word and walk away it might take a while but she'll eventually give in.  With you sitting there she's just gonna keep going on and on because she knows she'll eventually get a reaction.  You have to be more stubborn than her!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

She's not getting a reaction, so no.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Quoting kelliehelvie:

Don't talk to her or look at her. Then restart the timer. She will watch you do it. At age 3 she'll get it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't think you get it. 

notabosley
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:17 PM
I've found this works for my DD too. When you put her back in the timeout spot repeat to her timeout doesn't start till she is quite. Otherwise don't communicate with her. When you talk to her, she's getting exactly what she wants, your attention. It took me three hours to get one successful timeout the first time. Now one warning and my 2y.o. DD immediately stops the bad behavior.

Quoting kelliehelvie:

Don't talk to her!!!! Just sit her down and turn away. She can talk and scream and kick and yell in time out...just no getting up. If she gets up pick her up and sit her back down. No words or eye contact.
needsupport100
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:17 PM

ignore her, the only thing you should do is put her back in back in time out when she gets out. dont' say anything to her

kelliehelvie
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:17 PM
I re read your op. How about bring her to you and explain what you're going to do. If shes never done timeout like this she does t know what to expect. "Ok you're in tjmeout for..... you need yo sit for 3 min. Everytime you get up I will start the timer over and you will sit longer. Do you understand? "
Ask her a question like "when you get up before I ask you what will happen?"

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting kelliehelvie:

Sounds like when she back talks you, you're reacting to it...

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting kelliehelvie:

Don't talk to her!!!! Just sit her down and turn away. She can talk and scream and kick and yell in time out...just no getting up. If she gets up pick her up and sit her back down. No words or eye contact.

That's what I'm doing and why I'm on cm. I'm just ignoring her. She's pretty stubborn. lol

How do you figure?

confused0701
by Gold Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Kids pick up on more than you think.  Just a slight body reaction that you don't realize they do.  You have to just keep taking her back and walking away.  All else fails make her stand and hold a penny.  But with you sitting there is in essence getting the attention she's demanding!

Quoting confused0701:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

She's not getting a reaction, so no.

MeghMirab
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:18 PM
I communicate with my son almost the entire time he's in time out. We take a break and collect our thoughts and then we talk about what's happening and how we both feel about it. Since I started doing that he tells me how he's feeling really well so we can fix things before it gets to the point of time out next time. He is 3 and we have been doing this for the past 6 months.

When my son does back talk to us we say things like "that hurts my feelings (or makes me sad) when you say that to me", something along those lines. Now that he knows what emotions are because we have taught him what they are when he's sad I acknowledge "oh you're sad right now, what's going on?" So he knows when I say I'm sad, what it feels like. Same thing with positive feelings, "I'm so glad that you're happy, me too!" Then share a smile. Might sound cheesy but it works great!

This is a hard age and they're still figuring out how to relay their emotions and feelings onto others. If you let them know how hurtful/helpful their actions are they will eventually learn more about what not to say and do to hurt others feelings. Which is a great tool for your child to learn before he/she goes to preschool. It's a battle. Hang in there momma! You got this. (:
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)