Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I've had a 3 year old in time out for 15 minutes now

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Because she won't quit back talking, telling me no, and she won't stay in time out. I told her her 3 minutes starts when she sits there nicely. Day 1 with this kid and she's naughty as all get out. I'm sitting here beside her, ignoring her, so that she'll stay put.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 11, 2013 at 11:54 AM
Replies (81-88):
Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Don't sit beside her.  She is getting attention thta way.  Put her in the time out spot and walk away.  If she comes out of time out put her back without a word until she stays and does time out properly.  Sitting beside her reinforces the behavior, she thinks you are paying attention to her.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 11, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Quoting Thelmama:

Don't sit beside her.  She is getting attention thta way.  Put her in the time out spot and walk away.  If she comes out of time out put her back without a word until she stays and does time out properly.  Sitting beside her reinforces the behavior, she thinks you are paying attention to her.

Sorry, but I don't agree. I can't even walk away from her. She gets up literally as soon as I turn my back to walk away. She got no reaction from me, no emotion, no eye contact, no physical contact other than me putting her back. She finally gave up and just got done eating lunch.

Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 1:33 PM

I guess do what works then. But just make sure she realizes she isn't getting attention for the negative behavior. It is the Nanny 911 style..LOL.  I don't mean close her off in another room etc but I just don't think sitting by them is the best thing. They can do time out with out someone by them. Just keep putting her back. She will get it.  That's the way the Nanny show teaches parents/caregivers if they have a "runner". My  kids didn't attempt the getting up. I did have a child I baby sat once that did that. It probably took a couple of days when she had a time out for her to learn to sit there on the time out bench. I just kept putting her back, first few times I said No, you are in time out because ___________. Then I didn't say a thing. It did work, it just took several times.  It is in the taking her back and putting her back in time out, that lets them know you aren't going to accept them getting up etc. Try what you are doing until she gets the time out and then try moving away from her bit by  bit as time goes by. Then when they get out of time out, you get an I'm sorry and hugs and such are given, so the child knows mistakes aren't held against them.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Thelmama:

Sorry, but I don't agree. I can't even walk away from her. She gets up literally as soon as I turn my back to walk away. She got no reaction from me, no emotion, no eye contact, no physical contact other than me putting her back. She finally gave up and just got done eating lunch.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Mar. 11, 2013 at 1:33 PM
You can disagree all you would like, but it has been proven that sitting there does nothing more than reinforce the bad behaviour.

You are just to lazy to have to put the actual work into making timeout work.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Thelmama:

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Mar. 11, 2013 at 1:34 PM

This is what I do for my 3 year old GD.......It is the age

Betty Boop Lets go to the disco.    Betty Jean Newell Smith

twinmommy27
by Ruby Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 1:34 PM
Good luck and stay strong! She'll get it ;)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 11, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

You can disagree all you would like, but it has been proven that sitting there does nothing more than reinforce the bad behaviour.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Thelmama:

Lmao. Sure thing. Guess what. It worked. ;) And guess what else..I've done it with other children and it's worked. So, think what you want. If I was lazy, I would have just let her get up.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Mar. 11, 2013 at 2:06 PM
Lol it isn't thinking what I want, it is what you've shown by your responses.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Thelmama:

Lmao. Sure thing. Guess what. It worked. ;) And guess what else..I've done it with other children and it's worked. So, think what you want. If I was lazy, I would have just let her get up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN