Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Should I send my newly turned 5 year old daughter to school...or home school her through K12 online school?? ((revised, worry, not fear. :)

Posted by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:08 PM
  • 64 Replies

Hello Ladies!

I could really use some fellow Mommy input on this. One of my daughters just turned 5, February 25th  this year and she would be starting public school in September or K12 right now, which I have already started her with. However, I do not want to rob her of the regular school experience, such as with being social, meeting new kids, learning how to interact with other children besides her bros and sister, learning to be more independent, and all of the other perks of going to school. On the other hand, she is already advance due to what we have taught her at home thus far and she will be a Daisy soon with the Girl Scouts. :D

My biggest worries about sending her out to school have become greater these last couple of years, with all of the horrible things in the news about various teachers and the abuse towards innocent children. Most of which the schools seem to have had no knowledge about or just ignored. Also bullying and that type of thing. I know kids have to go through and experience life, but I can not get over these things!! 

Lashonte Mayer aka *Foxyfitmamaof5* treadmill

"Reach for the moon. Even if you fall, you'll land among the stars."

by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:10 PM
6 moms liked this

I think it is natural to want to protect your child, but homeschooling should not be a decision based out of fear

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:10 PM
4 moms liked this

My DD is 5 also. We home school. She is involved in many activites. Girl Scouts, ballet, tap, jazz, gymnastics, soccer. She does not lack social interaction.

Humanoid
by OMGmirxx on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Homeschool online, just make sure she is involved in community activities and has plenty of friends otherwise :D

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:12 PM
2 moms liked this

I homeschool my children, but not through an online program. I have had no issues socializing my children with peers. However, homeschooling is definitely not for everyone and all things need to be considered. Ultimately, that choice is yours.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I am a homeschooling mom to one DS while my DD attends public school.  I home school my son because he is special needs and was never able to fit into an integrated public school environment.  My DD has loved every year (she is now in 10th grade) of public school.  I understand your fears but I think you should let your DD start in a public school and closely monitor her experience with her teachers, peers, etc.  You can always change your mind and pull her out to home school at any time.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:14 PM

How did you start K12 in mid-term?  I thought they followed the same timeline for their year as typical schools. 

She shouldn't be starting their kindergarten coursework until she's eligible to be enrolled in Kindergarten.

KrissyKC
by Platinum Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:14 PM
2 moms liked this
I sent my older two to public school when we felt led to home school them, but we were swayed with the whole, "I don't want them to miss out on school experiences." We regret it... FFWD and we had to pull both of our older kids out of school. One due to anxiety, stress, and bullying... and the other due to the teacher wanting to medicate him and this same teacher should have been fired for putting her hands on a girl I babysit, but the school defended her. So now we homeschool, and they get LOTS of fun opportunities that they never had before. Being part of home school choir, sports programs, field trips, being able to go anywhere anytime on vacation... being able to relax and not live a life full of the stress of "the rat race," and being able to excell or slow down whenever they need to. Another benefit is their being able to be close as a family.
EvilAsh
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:14 PM

You shouldn't do it because you're afraid. That's not the best decision for either of you. If you feel it will benefit her education, then do it. If not, don't. My kids are going to school. I won't let fear run our lives.

tooptimistic
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:14 PM
1 mom liked this

K12 sucks.. We are doing K12 and are hating it!!

If she knows her colors and shapes, knows  what happy and sad is.. don't do it!!

They dumbed down the curriculum.

Our teacher NEVER emails us back when we have a question or calls us back.

We are doing Calvert next year.

K12 used to be great, but now they SUCK.

MissIz
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:15 PM

If you educate your child about their own safety, your kid will be just fine. Yes there are some unavoidable things but if you teach her to be afraid....well just imagine how she will turn out.

Taking risks is a part of life. Just keep her up to date on what is safe and what isnt, how to defend herself and what to do if someone bullies her or tries to hurt her.

Do no shelter your children too much, they will have a greater chance of turning into those horror stories you see all over the news themselves. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)