Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Should I send my newly turned 5 year old daughter to school...or home school her through K12 online school?? ((revised, worry, not fear. :)

Hello Ladies!

I could really use some fellow Mommy input on this. One of my daughters just turned 5, February 25th  this year and she would be starting public school in September or K12 right now, which I have already started her with. However, I do not want to rob her of the regular school experience, such as with being social, meeting new kids, learning how to interact with other children besides her bros and sister, learning to be more independent, and all of the other perks of going to school. On the other hand, she is already advance due to what we have taught her at home thus far and she will be a Daisy soon with the Girl Scouts. :D

My biggest worries about sending her out to school have become greater these last couple of years, with all of the horrible things in the news about various teachers and the abuse towards innocent children. Most of which the schools seem to have had no knowledge about or just ignored. Also bullying and that type of thing. I know kids have to go through and experience life, but I can not get over these things!! 

Lashonte Mayer aka *Foxyfitmamaof5* treadmill

"Reach for the moon. Even if you fall, you'll land among the stars."

by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:08 PM
Replies (31-40):
lovinmama411
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Don't let your own fears hold her back. If you think it's best for her to go to school, send her. She is old enough to tell you if something is going on at school. Be involved with her classroom and teacher and keep an open dialog with your daughter.

I couldn't imagine homeschooling my boys. Not because I couldn't do it, but because they love school so much. My youngest is in kindergarten and my oldest is in 2nd grade. They have tons of friends, I get to back cupcakes and show up at their school parties, they get to play sports for the school, and their absolute favorite part (kinda silly) is riding the school bus! lol. When they have gotten a break from school, like over Christmas, they want to go back after just a few days. They have had wonderful teachers as most of them are. The horror stories are rare if you think about the bigger picture. 

excitedmommy26
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 5:32 PM

I hear you! However, I do have 5 children, ages 16, 13 1/2, 12 1/2, plus the 5 yr. old daughter I'm referring to in this post and another 3 year old daughter. All of my older children have been in public school since preschool, so fear is not the main issue here. Of course times have gotten worse since my older kids started school. 

Anyway, I feel she will have a better learning experience and education with me continuing to teach her at home one on one as well. She has already become so advanced thus far and I would like that to continue. :)

Quoting lovinmama411:

Don't let your own fears hold her back. If you think it's best for her to go to school, send her. She is old enough to tell you if something is going on at school. Be involved with her classroom and teacher and keep an open dialog with your daughter.

I couldn't imagine homeschooling my boys. Not because I couldn't do it, but because they love school so much. My youngest is in kindergarten and my oldest is in 2nd grade. They have tons of friends, I get to back cupcakes and show up at their school parties, they get to play sports for the school, and their absolute favorite part (kinda silly) is riding the school bus! lol. When they have gotten a break from school, like over Christmas, they want to go back after just a few days. They have had wonderful teachers as most of them are. The horror stories are rare if you think about the bigger picture. 

tooptimistic
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Wow.. I am in Florida, and hating K12 because of lack of communication on the teachers part and the curriculum is easier than public school.  Work samples were due today for us.  I have trying for a week to get the list of what is to be turned.  Two hours ago I finally got the teachers supervisor to call me back and get me list.  That is unacceptable!!

Quoting sha_lyn68:

I assume that by homeschooling her with K12 you are actually talking about one of the public school at home programs since you said that the teacher is just a couple of cities over from you. I hope that you aren't in GA or FL because the charter schools in both states are in danger of being shut down due to breaking their charters with those states.

Quoting excitedmommy26:

Thank you for all of your input Ladies!!

I actually already enrolled her in K12 and the teacher is really great, I am coming to find out!  I just was still debating on whether or not I should continue with it or enroll her in public school.

The teacher contacted me to welcome us and told me she wanted to assure me that we are not alone in this and she is actually in the next couple of cities over from me! We will be meeting once a mth and we will bring some of her work to show her, and she will bring a reward for Jiselle for her completed assignments! She also told me to call and/or email her with any questions or concerns 100 times day or night  if need be, weekends included! We will be meeting at a nearby Starbucks this Friday @9:30a.m.

We already received her computer, printer, ink,  and all of the materials for her classes, including:

Art KStudy IslandScience K, History KPreparatory Music , and they sent all of the workbooks for each class, 3D & 2D blocks for math, art supplies, science goggles and materials for experiments, tons of reading books, music cd's and videos and a flute and tamborine!! :D Plus tons more to assist with each class! I think we are going to do great!! 

paganmommy4
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 5:37 PM
1 mom liked this

thats completely up to you. My daughter is seven and she is one of the popular pretty kids so I know she's not going to have any problems bully wise ( except people make fun of her name and i have brought it up to her teacher) and she doesnt fit in religiously wise but once again i brought it up to her teacher. The only thing I truly have a problem with is a psycho coming to the school and hurting the kids. So I face the same dilemma here too.

Luckily there is a boys and girls club for her to attend so she can still see her friends she's already established outside of school.

Take her swimming if you can, take her to the park if you can, try to find programs that are designed for homeschooled kids that allow them to be social with friends and learn how to act in public. 

lovinmama411
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 5:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Ok, I see. My older son has always been advanced compared to what they are doing at school too. I still teach him at home, after school and weekends and during the summer just to make sure he is challenged. If you do want to homeschool her though, you could still put her in sports and find other ways to make sure she is socialized. She won't have that real "school" experience but that isn't the most important thing. 

How advanced is she? I thought I would have a problem with my older son when he started too. I thought he would get bored at school because he already knew most of what I thought they would be teaching in kinder. But they had 3 different levels in his kinder class. He is at the 3rd level, so he is reading books that are more advanced than the average kids in the class and has more advanced homework. They do group times everyday and split them up into groups based on how much they know. I was pleasantly suprised that they did a good job trying to make sure he stayed challenged.

Maybe you could visit the school and kindergarten teachers and ask questions about their curriculum. That may help you decide. Good luck!

Quoting excitedmommy26:

I hear you! However, I do have 5 children, ages 16, 13 1/2, 12 1/2, plus the 5 yr. old daughter I'm referring to in this post and another 3 year old daughter. All of my older children have been in public school since preschool, so fear is not the main issue here. Of course times have gotten worse since my older kids started school. 

Anyway, I feel she will have a better learning experience and education with me continuing to teach her at home one on one as well. She has already become so advanced thus far and I would like that to continue. :)

Quoting lovinmama411:

bear.katten
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 5:45 PM
She should go to school unless your going to have her in a LOT of activities to socialize!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bear.katten
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 5:47 PM
Also, you shouldnt homeschool unless you are prepared to do it ALL through school. Its not fair to make her go to school in like 7th grade when she has never been in a school setting!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
excitedmommy26
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 6:11 PM

She will be a daisy soon, we just recently sent her membership forms to the Girl Scouts after much time of exploring what the offer and waiting for her to turn 5 finally! :D

Quoting bear.katten:

She should go to school unless your going to have her in a LOT of activities to socialize!!

excitedmommy26
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 6:15 PM
1 mom liked this

She is advanced in the way that her teacher for k12 had us start at the beginning to see where she is and she has moved her up several lessons, in a matter of days, since she has passed all of the beginning and intermediate Kindergarden Unit reviews. Most kids have already started earlier this year, but since Jiselle just turned 5 last mth. She would actually start public school in September, however since we are doing K12, she is starting earlier, which is awesome! 

The fact that I have already been teaching her at home is just icing on the cake! :D

Quoting lovinmama411:

Ok, I see. My older son has always been advanced compared to what they are doing at school too. I still teach him at home, after school and weekends and during the summer just to make sure he is challenged. If you do want to homeschool her though, you could still put her in sports and find other ways to make sure she is socialized. She won't have that real "school" experience but that isn't the most important thing. 

How advanced is she? I thought I would have a problem with my older son when he started too. I thought he would get bored at school because he already knew most of what I thought they would be teaching in kinder. But they had 3 different levels in his kinder class. He is at the 3rd level, so he is reading books that are more advanced than the average kids in the class and has more advanced homework. They do group times everyday and split them up into groups based on how much they know. I was pleasantly suprised that they did a good job trying to make sure he stayed challenged.

Maybe you could visit the school and kindergarten teachers and ask questions about their curriculum. That may help you decide. Good luck!

Quoting excitedmommy26:

Quoting lovinmama411:

Lizardannie1966
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 6:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I would let her start a public school in September and give it one semester to see how she is doing with it.

If it doesn't seem like she's thriving, learning or is happy, then attempt something else.

We're a Connections Academy family, with our youngest daughter being in her 4th year. It works for us, but would not have worked for our older children.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)