Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Should I send my newly turned 5 year old daughter to school...or home school her through K12 online school?? ((revised, worry, not fear. :)

Hello Ladies!

I could really use some fellow Mommy input on this. One of my daughters just turned 5, February 25th  this year and she would be starting public school in September or K12 right now, which I have already started her with. However, I do not want to rob her of the regular school experience, such as with being social, meeting new kids, learning how to interact with other children besides her bros and sister, learning to be more independent, and all of the other perks of going to school. On the other hand, she is already advance due to what we have taught her at home thus far and she will be a Daisy soon with the Girl Scouts. :D

My biggest worries about sending her out to school have become greater these last couple of years, with all of the horrible things in the news about various teachers and the abuse towards innocent children. Most of which the schools seem to have had no knowledge about or just ignored. Also bullying and that type of thing. I know kids have to go through and experience life, but I can not get over these things!! 

Lashonte Mayer aka *Foxyfitmamaof5* treadmill

"Reach for the moon. Even if you fall, you'll land among the stars."

by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:08 PM
Replies (41-50):
excitedmommy26
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 6:18 PM

True, each child is different. My older kids love school and I'm sure Jiselle will to, but I know she is doing great learning at home too! Plus, then if she goes to school, it would be like a re-run of what she has already learned...

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

I would let her start a public school in September and give it one semester to see how she is doing with it.

If it doesn't seem like she's thriving, learning or is happy, then attempt something else.

We're a Connections Academy family, with our youngest daughter being in her 4th year. It works for us, but would not have worked for our older children.

peachesforme
by Gold Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 6:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I hear you. We were in the same boat. We let both daughters go to public school. We were not satisfied with it.  Their experiences depend a lot on what quality of teacher they have. That makes a huge difference. You will either get lucky and get a teacher who cares, or you will get a teacher who does the bare minimum who is in it for a paycheck. Also, do the kids in your area have parents who care about them? Are they a good group of kids who will be a good influence? We homeschooled 2 years, then a charter school opened up near us, and those kids have parents who really care, because those parents are actively involved and have done their research to choose an alternative to traditional schools.  It just depends on the school, the peer group, and the teacher.  Take it from me, I am a teacher! Good luck

excitedmommy26
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 6:23 PM
1 mom liked this

That is definitely unacceptable! Wow! Glad the supervisr called you back though.  In my case, the teacher called me right away, without me having to track her down, otherwise I would have definitely decided not to continue with them.

Quoting tooptimistic:

Wow.. I am in Florida, and hating K12 because of lack of communication on the teachers part and the curriculum is easier than public school.  Work samples were due today for us.  I have trying for a week to get the list of what is to be turned.  Two hours ago I finally got the teachers supervisor to call me back and get me list.  That is unacceptable!!

Quoting sha_lyn68:

I assume that by homeschooling her with K12 you are actually talking about one of the public school at home programs since you said that the teacher is just a couple of cities over from you. I hope that you aren't in GA or FL because the charter schools in both states are in danger of being shut down due to breaking their charters with those states.

Quoting excitedmommy26:

Thank you for all of your input Ladies!!

I actually already enrolled her in K12 and the teacher is really great, I am coming to find out!  I just was still debating on whether or not I should continue with it or enroll her in public school.

The teacher contacted me to welcome us and told me she wanted to assure me that we are not alone in this and she is actually in the next couple of cities over from me! We will be meeting once a mth and we will bring some of her work to show her, and she will bring a reward for Jiselle for her completed assignments! She also told me to call and/or email her with any questions or concerns 100 times day or night  if need be, weekends included! We will be meeting at a nearby Starbucks this Friday @9:30a.m.

We already received her computer, printer, ink,  and all of the materials for her classes, including:

Art KStudy IslandScience K, History KPreparatory Music , and they sent all of the workbooks for each class, 3D & 2D blocks for math, art supplies, science goggles and materials for experiments, tons of reading books, music cd's and videos and a flute and tamborine!! :D Plus tons more to assist with each class! I think we are going to do great!! 

excitedmommy26
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 6:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Exactly! In the current district we are in, I only have experience with the parents of the middle and highschool students, so I am not sure about the elementary students parents. But, I would hope they hold the same values and expectations for their children in school. However, I am not sure. I have seen good reviews about the school that she would be assigned too, but I would definitely do tons more detective work on that if I were to seriously consider sending her there. :) lol! Thank you so much! :)

Quoting peachesforme:

I hear you. We were in the same boat. We let both daughters go to public school. We were not satisfied with it.  Their experiences depend a lot on what quality of teacher they have. That makes a huge difference. You will either get lucky and get a teacher who cares, or you will get a teacher who does the bare minimum who is in it for a paycheck. Also, do the kids in your area have parents who care about them? Are they a good group of kids who will be a good influence? We homeschooled 2 years, then a charter school opened up near us, and those kids have parents who really care, because those parents are actively involved and have done their research to choose an alternative to traditional schools.  It just depends on the school, the peer group, and the teacher.  Take it from me, I am a teacher! Good luck

Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Much of that is blown out of proportion.

A child will not learn to be ndependent and live fearlessly in the world, without knowing how to get along with everyone, including bullies, bad teachers and so on.  There will be people in life that dislike you - sometimes for a reason, sometimes for no reason at all.

Lizardannie1966
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 7:08 PM

The first few years of school are also for learning to be away from Mom and the home environment.

They're learning to take direction from someone other than their Mom and dad, and learning to socialize, as well (the dreaded word for many home-schooling parents: "socialize!").

So that first semester would go beyond what she's learning at home and be about more than the academic part of school.

I'd honestly give her a chance to do her own comparison by putting her in for that first semester and seeing how she does. Also seeing how SHE likes it, know what I mean?

Quoting excitedmommy26:

True, each child is different. My older kids love school and I'm sure Jiselle will to, but I know she is doing great learning at home too! Plus, then if she goes to school, it would be like a re-run of what she has already learned...

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

I would let her start a public school in September and give it one semester to see how she is doing with it.

If it doesn't seem like she's thriving, learning or is happy, then attempt something else.

We're a Connections Academy family, with our youngest daughter being in her 4th year. It works for us, but would not have worked for our older children.

Lizardannie1966
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 7:13 PM

I honestly mean no disrespect but I'm rather confused by your comments here--"one of the popular, pretty kids?"

Are the ugly kid's the only ones that are bullied?

Again, not trying to be disrespectful. This comment just threw me a little.

Quoting paganmommy4:
. My daughter is seven and she is one of the popular pretty kids so I know she's not going to have any problems bully wise

Lizardannie1966
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 7:17 PM

We've been with Connections Academy for our youngest daughter for four years now and love it.

I've heard good and bad about K12 (CA, too) and of course, the parents and their children are the determining factors over what works and what doesn't.

I've heard K12 is more a corporation than it is an actual school and that there are even traditional public schools utilizing the K12 curriculum for their own schools?

Speculative rumors, possibly but was just curious.

Quoting Anonymous:

I have been doing K12 now for 2 years and we HATE it. I think it was the worst decision

paganmommy4
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 7:20 PM

what i meant was is that she fits in with what everyone else likes, and thats how it works in schools. Nothing has changed, so yes if youre clothes are different and you dont fit in in the popular crowd because kids are cruel then yes, thats how people get bullied.

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

I honestly mean no disrespect but I'm rather confused by your comments here--"one of the popular, pretty kids?"

Are the ugly kid's the only ones that are bullied?

Again, not trying to be disrespectful. This comment just threw me a little.

Quoting paganmommy4:
. My daughter is seven and she is one of the popular pretty kids so I know she's not going to have any problems bully wise

excitedmommy26
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 7:27 PM

I highly disagree with it being blown out of proportion in the way that a child should NEVER learn to be fearless in such a world as we live in today! Being cautious and aware is a requirement for all children to be taught by their parents regardless of if they are home schooled or in public school.

Independence can not only be taught by going to school, kids have play dates and other activities too, and as I mentioned, my daughter will be starting as a Daisy with the girl scouts shortly, and that will definitely be an awesome experience in all things growth, independence, socializing and then some. :)

Also, of course in life there will be people who like/dislike you in this world, that's a given. That doesn't mean I will unnecessarily expose my children to those things in excess either, especially not to bullies and/or bad teachers. That is completely unacceptable!

Quoting Not_A_Native:

Much of that is blown out of proportion.

A child will not learn to be ndependent and live fearlessly in the world, without knowing how to get along with everyone, including bullies, bad teachers and so on.  There will be people in life that dislike you - sometimes for a reason, sometimes for no reason at all.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN