Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Should I send my newly turned 5 year old daughter to school...or home school her through K12 online school?? ((revised, worry, not fear. :)

Hello Ladies!

I could really use some fellow Mommy input on this. One of my daughters just turned 5, February 25th  this year and she would be starting public school in September or K12 right now, which I have already started her with. However, I do not want to rob her of the regular school experience, such as with being social, meeting new kids, learning how to interact with other children besides her bros and sister, learning to be more independent, and all of the other perks of going to school. On the other hand, she is already advance due to what we have taught her at home thus far and she will be a Daisy soon with the Girl Scouts. :D

My biggest worries about sending her out to school have become greater these last couple of years, with all of the horrible things in the news about various teachers and the abuse towards innocent children. Most of which the schools seem to have had no knowledge about or just ignored. Also bullying and that type of thing. I know kids have to go through and experience life, but I can not get over these things!! 

Lashonte Mayer aka *Foxyfitmamaof5* treadmill

"Reach for the moon. Even if you fall, you'll land among the stars."

by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:08 PM
Replies (51-60):
TranquilMind
by Ruby Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 7:33 PM

No one else can make this decision for you.  Are you motivated to homeschool her for educational reasons?   That's what mattered to me.  And my kids have really excelled academically.

I did make a major error in succumbing to pressure from one to go to a particular high school.  It was a mistake.  There were a couple of good academic classes there, but this one completed the highest levels in just a couple of years, and was exposed to the worst things you can imagine. 

Schools are moral cesspools today. You should know this going in.  Some kids won't be as affected as others, but it is a regret of mine that I can't fix at this point.  This one is in a much better environment today, but the damage was already done. 

britadams10
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 7:33 PM
1 mom liked this

whatever you're comfortable with. ppl think homeschooled kids lack qualities that going to school provides but as a person who was homeschooled, i was always in sports and played with neighborhood kids. all depends on the parents i guess

excitedmommy26
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Which she will also experience as a Daisy in the Girl Scouts. For me, socializing is no where near a dreaded word, lol! My daughter is a social butterfly, just like her mommy! No worries there! :D

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

The first few years of school are also for learning to be away from Mom and the home environment.

They're learning to take direction from someone other than their Mom and dad, and learning to socialize, as well (the dreaded word for many home-schooling parents: "socialize!").

So that first semester would go beyond what she's learning at home and be about more than the academic part of school.

I'd honestly give her a chance to do her own comparison by putting her in for that first semester and seeing how she does. Also seeing how SHE likes it, know what I mean?

Quoting excitedmommy26:

True, each child is different. My older kids love school and I'm sure Jiselle will to, but I know she is doing great learning at home too! Plus, then if she goes to school, it would be like a re-run of what she has already learned...

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

I would let her start a public school in September and give it one semester to see how she is doing with it.

If it doesn't seem like she's thriving, learning or is happy, then attempt something else.

We're a Connections Academy family, with our youngest daughter being in her 4th year. It works for us, but would not have worked for our older children.

excitedmommy26
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 7:38 PM

That's exactly what I stated previously. She has become advanced already by what we have done in teaching at home thus far. It has been great for her and I would like her to continue to excel in that way. I really do enjoy it and so does she. 

Quoting TranquilMind:

No one else can make this decision for you.  Are you motivated to homeschool her for educational reasons?   That's what mattered to me.  And my kids have really excelled academically.

I did make a major error in succumbing to pressure from one to go to a particular high school.  It was a mistake.  There were a couple of good academic classes there, but this one completed the highest levels in just a couple of years, and was exposed to the worst things you can imagine. 

Schools are moral cesspools today. You should know this going in.  Some kids won't be as affected as others, but it is a regret of mine that I can't fix at this point.  This one is in a much better environment today, but the damage was already done. 

excitedmommy26
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 7:45 PM

I agree Schools are moral cesspools today, as my three older children attend. However, they know how to deal with these things as we have taught them well and continue to have as much involvement in their school life as possible, up to not literally being in the class room with them, lol. 

I am very sorry to hear about the unfavorable experience you had with one of your children and glad things are better today. 

Quoting excitedmommy26:

That's exactly what I stated previously. She has become advanced already by what we have done in teaching at home thus far. It has been great for her and I would like her to continue to excel in that way. I really do enjoy it and so does she. 

Quoting TranquilMind:

excitedmommy26
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 8:02 PM

They allowed me to. I actually enrolled her 4 days before she turned 5, but they didn't assign her classes until she actually turned 5.  Also, she is advanced due to what we have been teaching her at home already, so she is already at the level that the other students who started before her are.

Quoting Anonymous:

How did you start K12 in mid-term?  I thought they followed the same timeline for their year as typical schools. 

She shouldn't be starting their kindergarten coursework until she's eligible to be enrolled in Kindergarten.

excitedmommy26
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 8:06 PM

I hear you. To be clear, these fears are my own. I do not, nor have I ever expressed them to my daughter, nor are they morbid fears or anything like that. Schools just aren't as safe as they were when we were growing up and she is doing so well at home already. I honestly enjoy teaching her and she enjoys it too.

Quoting MissIz:

If you educate your child about their own safety, your kid will be just fine. Yes there are some unavoidable things but if you teach her to be afraid....well just imagine how she will turn out.

Taking risks is a part of life. Just keep her up to date on what is safe and what isnt, how to defend herself and what to do if someone bullies her or tries to hurt her.

Do no shelter your children too much, they will have a greater chance of turning into those horror stories you see all over the news themselves. 

Lizardannie1966
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Thanks for clarifying and I understand where you're coming from.

I will tell you that as she ages, you and she might want to be prepared for the bitchiness that can ensue when it comes to the pretty and even popular girls.

Some girls can be downright mean and if a girl happens to be attractive and has a lot of friends, she can be a target of meanness and bullying too.

It's a new world out there and the nastiness has increased tenfold with the middle school and teenage girl age group. They bully those who might not be the prettiest/most popular but they'll also bully the opposite now, too....just TO bully, kwim?

Just tell her to hold her head high and rise above it.

Quoting paganmommy4:

what i meant was is that she fits in with what everyone else likes, and thats how it works in schools. Nothing has changed, so yes if youre clothes are different and you dont fit in in the popular crowd because kids are cruel then yes, thats how people get bullied.

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

I honestly mean no disrespect but I'm rather confused by your comments here--"one of the popular, pretty kids?"

Are the ugly kid's the only ones that are bullied?

Again, not trying to be disrespectful. This comment just threw me a little.

Quoting paganmommy4:
. My daughter is seven and she is one of the popular pretty kids so I know she's not going to have any problems bully wise

Lizardannie1966
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 8:36 PM
1 mom liked this

What I mean by that is there are a lot of home educators I've encountered both online and offline over the years who do not like that word, "socializing" or even "socialization." They laugh at it and they believe their child/ren do not need to interact with peers.

I am a believer of the opposite. I think it's human nature to want some type of social interaction with others, especially those in *your* (person in general) age group. Some crave it more than others and that's OK, too.

Quoting excitedmommy26:

Which she will also experience as a Daisy in the Girl Scouts. For me, socializing is no where near a dreaded word, lol! My daughter is a social butterfly, just like her mommy! No worries there! :D

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

The first few years of school are also for learning to be away from Mom and the home environment.

They're learning to take direction from someone other than their Mom and dad, and learning to socialize, as well (the dreaded word for many home-schooling parents: "socialize!").

So that first semester would go beyond what she's learning at home and be about more than the academic part of school.

I'd honestly give her a chance to do her own comparison by putting her in for that first semester and seeing how she does. Also seeing how SHE likes it, know what I mean?

Quoting excitedmommy26:

True, each child is different. My older kids love school and I'm sure Jiselle will to, but I know she is doing great learning at home too! Plus, then if she goes to school, it would be like a re-run of what she has already learned...

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

I would let her start a public school in September and give it one semester to see how she is doing with it.

If it doesn't seem like she's thriving, learning or is happy, then attempt something else.

We're a Connections Academy family, with our youngest daughter being in her 4th year. It works for us, but would not have worked for our older children.

paganmommy4
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 8:38 PM

I always tell her just because you happen to be pretty doesn't mean you get to treat people differently, I won't tolerate it. The more she grows up the more I see she's going to be one of those girls i hated in school, tall and thin and pretty. Both of them are. She is taught that you need to be kind to everyone. But then again, I made her costume last  year for halloween because I didn't want to spend $20 on a halloween costume at walmart so she can look like everyone else and money was tight, this year ill be making it again because its nice to be different once in awhile. IT drives me nuts. I think she'll go to the other elementary school for second grade. The one she goes to now, I swear if you're not made of money then you get looked down upon

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Thanks for clarifying and I understand where you're coming from.

I will tell you that as she ages, you and she might want to be prepared for the bitchiness that can ensue when it comes to the pretty and even popular girls.

Some girls can be downright mean and if a girl happens to be attractive and has a lot of friends, she can be a target of meanness and bullying too.

It's a new world out there and the nastiness has increased tenfold with the middle school and teenage girl age group. They bully those who might not be the prettiest/most popular but they'll also bully the opposite now, too....just TO bully, kwim?

Just tell her to hold her head high and rise above it.

Quoting paganmommy4:

what i meant was is that she fits in with what everyone else likes, and thats how it works in schools. Nothing has changed, so yes if youre clothes are different and you dont fit in in the popular crowd because kids are cruel then yes, thats how people get bullied.

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

I honestly mean no disrespect but I'm rather confused by your comments here--"one of the popular, pretty kids?"

Are the ugly kid's the only ones that are bullied?

Again, not trying to be disrespectful. This comment just threw me a little.

Quoting paganmommy4:
. My daughter is seven and she is one of the popular pretty kids so I know she's not going to have any problems bully wise

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)