Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Should I send my newly turned 5 year old daughter to school...or home school her through K12 online school?? ((revised, worry, not fear. :)

Hello Ladies!

I could really use some fellow Mommy input on this. One of my daughters just turned 5, February 25th  this year and she would be starting public school in September or K12 right now, which I have already started her with. However, I do not want to rob her of the regular school experience, such as with being social, meeting new kids, learning how to interact with other children besides her bros and sister, learning to be more independent, and all of the other perks of going to school. On the other hand, she is already advance due to what we have taught her at home thus far and she will be a Daisy soon with the Girl Scouts. :D

My biggest worries about sending her out to school have become greater these last couple of years, with all of the horrible things in the news about various teachers and the abuse towards innocent children. Most of which the schools seem to have had no knowledge about or just ignored. Also bullying and that type of thing. I know kids have to go through and experience life, but I can not get over these things!! 

Lashonte Mayer aka *Foxyfitmamaof5* treadmill

"Reach for the moon. Even if you fall, you'll land among the stars."

by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:08 PM
Replies (61-64):
Lizardannie1966
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 8:44 PM

You're teaching her the RIGHT basics and that's important! :)

I know about those schools and the status symbols involved. For some adults, it never leaves them and children who've grown to be adults who discover this sort of snobbery at college and even the work place.

Quoting paganmommy4:

I always tell her just because you happen to be pretty doesn't mean you get to treat people differently, I won't tolerate it. The more she grows up the more I see she's going to be one of those girls i hated in school, tall and thin and pretty. Both of them are. She is taught that you need to be kind to everyone. But then again, I made her costume last  year for halloween because I didn't want to spend $20 on a halloween costume at walmart so she can look like everyone else and money was tight, this year ill be making it again because its nice to be different once in awhile. IT drives me nuts. I think she'll go to the other elementary school for second grade. The one she goes to now, I swear if you're not made of money then you get looked down upon

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Thanks for clarifying and I understand where you're coming from.

I will tell you that as she ages, you and she might want to be prepared for the bitchiness that can ensue when it comes to the pretty and even popular girls.

Some girls can be downright mean and if a girl happens to be attractive and has a lot of friends, she can be a target of meanness and bullying too.

It's a new world out there and the nastiness has increased tenfold with the middle school and teenage girl age group. They bully those who might not be the prettiest/most popular but they'll also bully the opposite now, too....just TO bully, kwim?

Just tell her to hold her head high and rise above it.

Quoting paganmommy4:

what i meant was is that she fits in with what everyone else likes, and thats how it works in schools. Nothing has changed, so yes if youre clothes are different and you dont fit in in the popular crowd because kids are cruel then yes, thats how people get bullied.

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

I honestly mean no disrespect but I'm rather confused by your comments here--"one of the popular, pretty kids?"

Are the ugly kid's the only ones that are bullied?

Again, not trying to be disrespectful. This comment just threw me a little.

Quoting paganmommy4:
. My daughter is seven and she is one of the popular pretty kids so I know she's not going to have any problems bully wise

JTnJT
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 8:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I use K12 and love the program.  Personally, I've always known I would home school.  My only suggestion: make sure she still gets interaction with other children her age.  Where we live, my DD can participate in district activities, even though she is not enrolled in the local public school.  So, we do some of these activities, we also do volunteer work, she takes a basic martial arts class that is sponsored through the local parks and rec dist.  Doesn't matter what you do, just make sure she has that "societal" interaction as well.

excitedmommy26
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 4:44 PM

I hear you. Thanks for clarifying that :D

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

What I mean by that is there are a lot of home educators I've encountered both online and offline over the years who do not like that word, "socializing" or even "socialization." They laugh at it and they believe their child/ren do not need to interact with peers.

I am a believer of the opposite. I think it's human nature to want some type of social interaction with others, especially those in *your* (person in general) age group. Some crave it more than others and that's OK, too.

Quoting excitedmommy26:

Which she will also experience as a Daisy in the Girl Scouts. For me, socializing is no where near a dreaded word, lol! My daughter is a social butterfly, just like her mommy! No worries there! :D

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

The first few years of school are also for learning to be away from Mom and the home environment.

They're learning to take direction from someone other than their Mom and dad, and learning to socialize, as well (the dreaded word for many home-schooling parents: "socialize!").

So that first semester would go beyond what she's learning at home and be about more than the academic part of school.

I'd honestly give her a chance to do her own comparison by putting her in for that first semester and seeing how she does. Also seeing how SHE likes it, know what I mean?

Quoting excitedmommy26:

True, each child is different. My older kids love school and I'm sure Jiselle will to, but I know she is doing great learning at home too! Plus, then if she goes to school, it would be like a re-run of what she has already learned...

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

I would let her start a public school in September and give it one semester to see how she is doing with it.

If it doesn't seem like she's thriving, learning or is happy, then attempt something else.

We're a Connections Academy family, with our youngest daughter being in her 4th year. It works for us, but would not have worked for our older children.

excitedmommy26
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 4:51 PM

We are loving it so far too! I will definitely make sure of that! Thank you so much! :D

Quoting JTnJT:

I use K12 and love the program.  Personally, I've always known I would home school.  My only suggestion: make sure she still gets interaction with other children her age.  Where we live, my DD can participate in district activities, even though she is not enrolled in the local public school.  So, we do some of these activities, we also do volunteer work, she takes a basic martial arts class that is sponsored through the local parks and rec dist.  Doesn't matter what you do, just make sure she has that "societal" interaction as well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)