Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What would you think of this? Neighborhood drama!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 45 Replies
Ok, it's not really drama, but I am annoyed by this. Dh and I are very quiet people, we stay to ourselves and have very few friends. He's in the army and I've learned to not get close to many people because we move so often. While we are friendly and polite with our neighbors, we are not friends with any of them (except maybe one couple, we've had them over for dinner and the wife and I hang out and go to the gym together). That's the background.

Tonight, a neighbor dropped off a flyer. I guess they are having an egg hunt for everyone on our street. That's cool, and I probably would have gone... Then I read this. "Please contribute $20 to the rental of the bounce house and plastic egg fillers. Potluck dinner and drinks are encouraged. Easter games are complimentary."

First off, there was no meeting or discussion for all of the neighbors whether they wanted a bounce house or not. There is a park in the middle of the neighborhood and each neighbor could hit the slides with a rock from their front door. Lol that's how close it is. So they easily could have had the hunt in the field next to the park, then BBQ'd in the grills that are inside the park. FREE!!!!

Second, how are you going to volunteer to host a party but not pay for one single aspect. The neighbor said that the only food and drink available will be what's brought. And that the 'fillers' will be the only candy, so again only what neighbors bring.

I'm not planning on going, because honestly I think they are being rude. There are 10 neighbors total. If everyone goes then the host will get $200. Bounce rentals around here don't cost more than $120 for 12 hours... So that's an $80 profit. On top of that, I have a strong feeling that she will invite friends that don't live on our street and not charge them. And honestly I'm annoyed that they didn't discuss cost with all the neighbors. I would have happily contributed hotdogs, buns and plates... It would have been 100% free at the park and no hosting because everyone is close enough to their own toilet. Plus, it's on the 31st. Lol I spend Easter with my family. So either way, cost or not, I probably would not have gone. Lol.

But would you think it was rude? Would you be annoyed? And would you say anything to them?

I don't plan to, I keep to myself and don't need unnecessary drama. Just wanted other opinions! :)
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 11, 2013 at 8:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MalakbelLacuna
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 8:51 PM

yes it is rude, I would be  a bit annoyed, I would not say anything. Well nothing besides "take your party idea and shove it"

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 8:52 PM
No I wouldnt say anything, just decline the invite and let it go
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
harehelper
by Platinum Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 8:53 PM

I would find that pretty presumptuous too. I would do what you are doing, just not go and not say anything.

FooLynRoo
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 8:54 PM
3 moms liked this

Do you have no sense of community.

In philadelphia we have block parties and everyone I know has such wonderful community memories of block parties where all neighbors pitch it for bounch house or some other games for the kids, a DJ for night time

the entire block is roped off, everyone plays and dances in the street. sprinklers, bounce houses bbqs food dj its great fun!

and everyone makes food and drinks and mingle.

If 20 dollars is THAT important to you stay in and peek at the fun from your curtains.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 11, 2013 at 8:54 PM

I don't think it's rude. I would give $20 and bring a dish :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 11, 2013 at 8:55 PM
Lol I'm actually pretty amused bc 2 of the neighbors don't have kids (it's kid centered from what I get out of the flyer), and I think 2 other neighbors also won't go. So, that's 5 total neighbors that probably won't go, including us. So they'll end up spending money anyways.

Quoting MalakbelLacuna:

yes it is rude, I would be  a bit annoyed, I would not say anything. Well nothing besides "take your party idea and shove it"

MrsRobinson06
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 8:57 PM
1 mom liked this
I would not think it's rude, we do that here at the apartment complex I live at. They probably assume not everyone will contribute so they asked for $20. I would have been offended if I wasn't included. We always do it potluck style as well and the kids have a lot of fun on the Jumpies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 11, 2013 at 8:57 PM
Oh, I'm not worried about $20... But they should have discussed it with all the neighbors first before assuming people would want to pay! And not only that but it's on the actual day of Easter. Yes, that annoys the piss out of me. I have more of a sense of family than community.

Quoting FooLynRoo:

Do you have no sense of community.

In philadelphia we have block parties and everyone I know has such wonderful community memories of block parties where all neighbors pitch it for bounch house or some other games for the kids, a DJ for night time

the entire block is roped off, everyone plays and dances in the street. sprinklers, bounce houses bbqs food dj its great fun!

and everyone makes food and drinks and mingle.

If 20 dollars is THAT important to you stay in and peek at the fun from your curtains.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 11, 2013 at 8:57 PM

I wowouldn't go either.... When I threw parties for my girlfriends on base I bought everything....  Unless we discussed potluck idea's than we all brought our own dishes. I would never ask for $20 for something I planned unless it was previously discussed.

Hunnybadgerkins
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 8:58 PM
Me too :)

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't think it's rude. I would give $20 and bring a dish :)

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)