Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you buy preowned or new baby clothes?

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 12:32 PM
  • 27 Replies

I buy and sell a lot on ebay, craigslsit, and etsy.  I wanted to reach out to other moms to see who else shopped new or preowned baby clothes on these sites.  What are some other good tips for buying online?

-R

by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 12:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Mar. 12, 2013 at 12:38 PM

10 Tips for Buying Children’s Clothing Online

Even the most seasoned shopping maven can be daunted the first time she does it online. These guidelines are designed to help you find the qualities to look for in a store so that your first experience buying children’s clothing online will be as enjoyable and successful as possible! 

Tip #10. Looks Do Matter

Would you shop in a dirty, overcrowded store with merchandise spilling onto the floor? Most likely not. The online equivalent is a cluttered, disorderly Web site. The store's home page should be professional looking, visually appealing, and simple. 

Tip #9. Help! I’m Lost! 

The menus that you click on to see the store’s products should be easy to use. You should be able to go anywhere in the store within one or two clicks from the home page. You should also be able to get back to the home page within a single click no matter where you are, as well as be able to view your shopping cart contents or check out. 

Tip #8. The More Information, the Better

Each product being sold should include a clear image, a brief description, the price, brand, and size, as well as provide a bigger image with only one click. If you are buying a brand that you haven’t tried before, make sure the item description includes the material and a size chart. Particularly when buying swimwear or boutique items that are more costly, make certain that the manufacturer’s size is accurate to your child’s size. Call the store’s 800 number if there is nothing in the item’s description. 

Tip #7. What’s With the Ads for Other Stores? 

Some stores do what is called reciprocal advertising (different stores advertise for each other on their own site) in order to increase their visibility. Some stores do affiliate advertising (they get a commission if somebody clicks on the ad and spends money at the other store). Stick to the stores that don’t need to earn extra business by plastering ads all over their sites. 

Tip #6. Do They Protect Your Privacy? 

Stores that are serious about protecting your privacy will have a link on their home page that takes you directly to their privacy policy. Their privacy policy will tell you what they do with your personal information as well as if they sell it to third parties. Avoid stores that share your information with others and don’t give you an option to opt out of this practice. 

Tip #5. How’s the Customer Service? 

Would you shop at a department store that has no Customer Service department? The online equivalent is their toll-free 800 number (or 888, 877, 866). Before you start shopping, make sure that email isn’t your only means of communication. Try the number to make sure it’s in order. Unless it’s a small boutique, somebody should answer the phone, especially if you are calling during business hours on a weekday. If you want to be sure you’re going to get excellent customer service, you can always check to see if the store is a member of the BBBOnline. 

Tip #4. How’s the Security? 

The best way to determine whether a store has good security is to look for a logo from a company like VeriSign or EnTrust. Click on the logo and you should get a pop-up window that shows that the store’s identity has been verified and that their data is encrypted. If they don’t have such a logo, or if you still feel uncertain about giving out your credit card information, consider shopping only at places that use a secure 3rd party for their financial transactions, like PayPal. 

Tip #3. It Costs HOW Much? 

Before you complete the purchase, check the total amount you will be charged. Be sure to factor in the shipping costs before you get too excited about the great deals you found! Shipping costs should be no higher than $6 or $7, regardless of how much you spend. 

The store’s shipping policy should also clearly state how long it takes to process your order as well as when you should expect it to be shipped. It should also tell you which shipping carriers they use, so that you can track your order. 

Tip #2. Oops, Wrong Size! 

Always check the return policy before buying anything. Some stores do not have a return policy while others only allow non-sale items to be returned. The policy should tell you in plain English exactly how long you have to return an item (2-4 weeks is reasonable), as well as explain in detail what to do if you wish to exchange an item, receive a refund, or return a defective item. 

And finally, above all else…

Tip #1. Go with Your Gut

If your overall impression of the store is positive and it meets (or exceeds) the criteria outlined in these guidelines, there’s only one thing left to do… SHOP! And bookmark the store for future expeditions!

Betty Boop Lets go to the disco.    Betty Jean Newell Smith

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Mar. 12, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Buying children's clothing online can save you time and sometimes money if you follow a few basic guidelines.

Children, particularly young children, go through clothing very quickly. Knees wear out in pants, a shirt that fit perfectly last week suddenly shows your child's belly, or a favorite sweater has a permanent stain. It may seem like you are always out shopping for clothes for you kids, but there is alternative to loading everyone up in the minivan and heading to the mall. It's online shopping. By following some tips, you can save yourself time, frustration and possibly even some money by doing your shopping on your computer.

There are two basic places to shop for children's clothing online. You can shop through a store's website or you can shop through an online auction site.

Shopping at a store's website has many advantages. A website will often have a larger selection of styles and sizes than the store itself. The turtleneck that you need in a size 8 in red will likely be in stock at the online store, but go to the store at the mall and you run the chance of them having the red turtleneck in every size but 8. You can also shop any time day or night which is a big advantage for those with busy family schedule. There is also the environmental advantage. More online shopping means less car fuel consumption and less air pollution. It may seem that the few trips you save may not make a big difference but if you multiply that by the hundreds of thousands of people who are shopping online and not making extra car trips, it can really be beneficial to the environment.

Here are some tips for buying at online stores:

1. Measure your child or an item of clothing that fits your child perfectly. Then check the website's size chart before ordering. This will help save on returns.

2. Read the website's return policy carefully. At many sites you are responsible for the shipping on returns. If it is a site that also has brick and mortar stores, check to see if you can return the items to the store instead of mailing it back. Some online stores include pre-paid shipping labels. This saves you a trip to the post office, but the price of the shipping may be taken out of your refund.

3. If you need to return an item because of the online store's error - they sent the wrong size, color, etc. phone their customer service first. Many online stores will send you a special shipping label that won't cost you anything. You may need to wait a few days for it to arrive, but it will save you money.

4. Phone their customer service with questions about the item before you place your order if you have questions the website does not answer. They may be able to answer questions about washing instructions, exact measurements, etc.

5. If you see basic items at a really great price like jeans, t-shirts, turtlenecks, etc. it may be worth it to order what you need now and also a size up and put it aside. Many web sites will put their clothing on clearance at the end of the season and you can get some great deals.

6. Register online at your favorite children's clothing sites to receive special offers through e-mail or regular mail. They will often send you percent off coupons or free shipping offers.

7. If you don't have any coupons, here is a great tip. Do an online search with the website's name followed by the words "coupon code." Often you can find discounts for free shipping or percent off on websites that collect this information. If the first website you come up with doesn't have a coupon for your particular store, check a few more. They don't all have the same information. Also, their information isn't always up to date. But, spending a little time researching this can end up saving you quite a bit of money if you shop online frequently so it is well worth the effort. You can do this with all your online shopping, not just children's clothing

8. Make your online shopping for your children even more beneficial to them. Check into the website UPromise.com to see how you can earn money for your children's education by shopping for their clothing and other items online. By shopping through UPromise's site, you can earn a percentage of your purchase at select retailers that can be invested for college and other types of education.

9. Make sure the site you are shopping from is secure before you give them any credit card information.

Another online shopping option is checking out auctions. You can get one item or whole lots of children's clothing very reasonably this way. Here are a few tips if you choose to buy your children's clothing from an online auction:

1. Always read the descriptions very carefully and e-mail the seller with any questions before you bid.

2. Since you can't always tell if an item will fit your child just by the size ask the seller for the measurements of the clothing, then compare it to the measurements of an item of clothing that fits your child very well.

3. Find out the seller's return policy. They are often not as liberal as an online store's policy. Although some online auctions sellers accept returns, many do not unless the item is damaged or not as described. If the item doesn't fit your child or you simply do not like it, you are not likely to be able to return it.

4. Consider getting shipping insurance incase something happens to the package during delivery.

5. When the clothing arrives give it a good inspection and perhaps a good washing.

By following these guidelines you ca successfully shop for your children's clothing online, saving you and your family time. It is well worth it.

Betty Boop Lets go to the disco.    Betty Jean Newell Smith

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 12, 2013 at 12:40 PM
we buy new. i think used is gross.
Bigmetalchicken
by Ruby Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 12:41 PM

I do both. I buy pajamas preowned often, because then they are nice and soft already. No wear in time.  And I buy outer wear as well, but I only buy it from a select few consignment shops.   I would never buy preowned clothes without being able to inspect them really well first.

audreesmama
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 12:42 PM

I buy from ThredUp and sell at the local consignment shop.

gigis1
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 12:43 PM
I buy new, and usually too much so I donate anything that wasnt used and some stuff that still looks new to churches or give it to people I know personally that could definitely use it
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
iwilliams76
by Irene on Mar. 12, 2013 at 12:43 PM

I do both.

owl0210
by Emerald Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 12:43 PM

I buy new.

hreynol25
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 12:44 PM
Both. Mostly new
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tiffany_AvonRep
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 12:44 PM
Both. Usually preowned but for holidays I plan to buy new.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN