Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Help Me!!! Potty training...

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 12:45 PM
  • 22 Replies

I have been trying and trying to potty train my 3 year old. I repeatedly tell him all day that if he has to pee, use his potty chair that is 2 feet away. Do not pee in the floor.

So yesterday, he was naked all day. He didn't pee in the floor, but he held it all day until nighttime when we put a pull up on him for bed. He drank water and juice all day, so I know he had to go.

What should I do?

by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 12:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamabear55
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 12:49 PM

BUMP

spiritedsoul
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 12:56 PM

I have a reward system for my daughter. She just turned two in January but is already going consistently, she only has accidents at night. What I did was create a simple chart from 1-10. She receives 1 sticker (gets to pick the sticker out & put it on the chart by herself).  When she receives 10 stickers in a row, she receives a treat (Lollipop, M&Ms, Trail Mix, Gummies Whatever she is in to that day). When she fills up the entire chart (100 Potty Trips), I take her to the store & allow her to pick out a small toy! It has worked extremely well for her!

Also, I use verbal empowerment to reinforce her good behaviors. For instance, when she goes potty I make a huge deal out of it & give her hugs & kisses, tell her how proud I am of her, etc.

Each child is different. I hope you find a method that works for you! Best of Luck Momma!

angevil53
by Platinum Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 12:57 PM
We used a potty seat not a chair so there was no transition and also used jelly beans for a reward. I did it at two before he got stubborn about it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mamabear55
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 1:00 PM

I tried that, but because of his autism, he just doesn't understand and make the connection. It's so frustrating!

Quoting spiritedsoul:

I have a reward system for my daughter. She just turned two in January but is already going consistently, she only has accidents at night. What I did was create a simple chart from 1-10. She receives 1 sticker (gets to pick the sticker out & put it on the chart by herself).  When she receives 10 stickers in a row, she receives a treat (Lollipop, M&Ms, Trail Mix, Gummies Whatever she is in to that day). When she fills up the entire chart (100 Potty Trips), I take her to the store & allow her to pick out a small toy! It has worked extremely well for her!

Also, I use verbal empowerment to reinforce her good behaviors. For instance, when she goes potty I make a huge deal out of it & give her hugs & kisses, tell her how proud I am of her, etc.

Each child is different. I hope you find a method that works for you! Best of Luck Momma!

Brittanyk3
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 1:00 PM
sit him on his potty and keep him distracted with books or toys (maybe even a cracker or something)...put his potty chair near a sink so you can turn on the water and maybe it will make him go.
mamabear55
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 1:00 PM

he has a potty seat as well, but for some reason, he is terrified of the big potty.

Quoting angevil53:

We used a potty seat not a chair so there was no transition and also used jelly beans for a reward. I did it at two before he got stubborn about it.

angevil53
by Platinum Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 1:01 PM
Ah i see. Id let him flush it a few times. Sit him on it for a minute sing a song read a book etc.

Quoting mamabear55:

he has a potty seat as well, but for some reason, he is terrified of the big potty.

Quoting angevil53:

ToolArmy066
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 1:02 PM
Do you bring him and put on it or you just ask him if he has to go?
smuckin_fart
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 1:02 PM
reward system.

put some cheerios in the potty and tell him to pee on them?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamabear55
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 1:06 PM

both. I sit him on the potty ever 2 hours and he hits and screams. Then every half hour I ask him if he has to potty and remind him to sit on his potty if he has to

Quoting ToolArmy066:

Do you bring him and put on it or you just ask him if he has to go?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)