Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

UPDATE Military Families Lead Lavish Lives!!

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 5:31 PM
  • 9 Replies

At least, according to one journalist who many feel needs to properly research before publishing.  You can read the oh-so-informative piece here.  The numerous comments from soldiers and their spouses really drive that fact home.

Were you aware that "the average enlisted military member was earning $50,747 in base pay and housing"?  I guess my husband has just been hiding half of his paycheck from me in a Swiss bank account all these years.  Yes, as long as they live within their means, military families have fairly comfortable lives...financially speaking, that is.  However, I think that being away from your family for months or years at a time to train or live in a war zone justifies "lavish" things like health insurance.  Oh, and those big housing allowances he mentioned?  They generally cover rent, if you are lucky.  Sure, they can totally cover rent and utilities, if you don't care what kind of neighborhood your children live in.  Here in Hawaii, our BAH would not even begin to cover the rent on a tiny two bedroom apartment in a decent neighborhood (here, "decent" means "not overlooking drug deals and gang shootings").  So we must live in pretty sweet "totally refurbished" base housing, right?  Oh yes.  Personally, my favorite focal points in this WWII palace are the kitchen pipe that rusted through and burst and the outlet that caught fire.  We see the maintenance guy so often that my daughter calls him Uncle Rick.

Do I think we are entitled to micro mansions and $100,000 incomes?  No.  I am not one of these "I can't afford to get my nails done every week" Army wives who flash their I.D. card in every business in case they offer a military discount.  I know we are fortunate and that my husband brings in a decent paycheck.  I love my life, and I couponing and living within a set budget is something I would do even if he made six figures.  I just cannot stand so-called "journalists" writing complete bullshit articles on ANY subject, let alone one that makes soliders and their families look like spoiled brats.  How about we turn the focus on the truly overpaid members of this country when discussing the national budget?  You know, like the people who make the laws?

Oh look.  On top of getting rid of tuition assistance, the government is now cutting military medical benefits.  Yep.  Living the rich life!

I am...a dreadlocks sportin', vegan food diggin', garden growin', floaty skirt wearin', bare feet steppin', from scratch cookin', non-spankin', homeschoolin', fiction writin', couponin', dog adoptin', displaced Texan, wife of a soldier and mother of a darlin'...

by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 5:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
FL2AK
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 5:33 PM
Not lavish, but we never did without. Some military members and spouses have no clue how much those benefits and non taxable allowances are worth in the civilian world.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SLMitchell
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 5:41 PM

As I said, I understand that and am not one to complain about our lifestyle.  My issue here is with this journalist (if we can call him that)  pulling "facts" about military incomes and benefits out of his ass and calling it news, because uninformed people will believe it.

Quoting FL2AK:

Not lavish, but we never did without. Some military members and spouses have no clue how much those benefits and non taxable allowances are worth in the civilian world.

I am...a dreadlocks sportin', vegan food diggin', garden growin', floaty skirt wearin', bare feet steppin', from scratch cookin', non-spankin', homeschoolin', fiction writin', couponin', dog adoptin', displaced Texan, wife of a soldier and mother of a darlin'...

B1Bomber
by Ruby Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Statistically speaking, the "average" is probably in the realm of fifty grand...only the upper enlisted ever get that high, but officers start almost that high, fresh out of school as 2nd lieutenants.

SLMitchell
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 5:54 PM

See, that is exactly the issue that people are taking with this article.  In order to push whatever his little agenda is, the writer only mentioned officers' salaries, but worded it so that ignorant people would think that your average enlisted man is making that much.  Also, his years of enlistment bits were a bit off.

Quoting B1Bomber:

Statistically speaking, the "average" is probably in the realm of fifty grand...only the upper enlisted ever get that high, but officers start almost that high, fresh out of school as 2nd lieutenants.

RhiannonMare
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 5:57 PM

We do? Where were they hding all those mansions on base?

outtamymynd
by Ruby Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 6:00 PM
Lavish huh. Crazy,maybe hubby is hiding all that cash under our mattress??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lwalker270
by Ruby Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 6:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting SLMitchell:

See, that is exactly the issue that people are taking with this article.  In order to push whatever his little agenda is, the writer only mentioned officers' salaries, but worded it so that ignorant people would think that your average enlisted man is making that much.  Also, his years of enlistment bits were a bit off.

Quoting B1Bomber:

I agree.  I'm sure out there somewhere someone has made E8 in ten years, but it is certainly not the norm.  Also, I liked how he noted the Pentagon paid all off-base housing costs.  

Just yesterday, we got our check to pay for our mansion and the staff's salary ;)

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.

~ F. Scott Fitzgerald

heyiitsang84
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 6:03 PM

I think that Military families should be getting paid millions to do what they do, protecting our country and putting their lives on the line!!!! The heck with all of these actors getting paid miliions, give it to the military families :)

VannaMae307
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 6:08 PM
Lavish. Lol. I get that we get some benefits that I will miss as a civilian...but...lavish??
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN