Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Tax deductible question

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 4 Replies
Is there a certain amount in money you have to have from donating things before you can write it off on your taxes?

I have easily 6-7 13 gal sized garbage bags full of gently used kids clothes as well as a box of kids shoes and a few bags of my clothes.

Honestly easily $400 worth of stuff if not more. That's why I want to write it off on next years taxes.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 12, 2013 at 9:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 12, 2013 at 9:41 PM

It depends on your tax bracket. The only time we ever noticed a difference is when we donated a $6,000 couch.  Otherwise our usual donations of $2,000 or less doesn't matter

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 12, 2013 at 9:44 PM
Uh we make like 38k a year...what do you think?? I don't even know where to find info about this.

Quoting Anonymous:

It depends on your tax bracket.

The only time we ever noticed a difference is when we donated a $6,000 couch.  Otherwise our usual donations of $2,000 or less doesn't matter

AJsMom81507
by Gold Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Use a free online tax form, and don't use your correct information... And you will be able to see if makes a difference.

MichelleJ1000
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Anything you want to write off would have to total more than the standard deduction for your filing status, for example married filing jointly deductions would have to total more than $11,900 for 2012 deductions.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)