Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Should she pay off his debt?

Posted by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 1:08 PM
  • 22 Replies
Don't dog me but I'm watching ricki lake and came across something that I found interesting and never thought about it.

This couple is engaged and she has a substantial savings account and he has debt (doesn't say how much) and that he likes to spend money while she likes to save it.

So she wants to know when she has to give him access to her savings account and if it should be used to pay off his debt

-----

What do you think?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 1:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 13, 2013 at 1:09 PM
No.
Hanab818
by Ruby Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 1:10 PM
1 mom liked this
No. I think she should show him how to properly budget and he should pay down his own debt because it was debt accrued before the relationship hip. If she pays it off he will eventually drag her down to where he is money wise because she's too busy cleaning up his mess.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
harpsichord
by Platinum Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 1:10 PM
No and he should NOT get access to her savings account
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 13, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Never. I would not marry him if he had that much debt.

Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 1:11 PM
That's how I think.

Quoting Hanab818:

No. I think she should show him how to properly budget and he should pay down his own debt because it was debt accrued before the relationship hip. If she pays it off he will eventually drag her down to where he is money wise because she's too busy cleaning up his mess.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 13, 2013 at 1:12 PM
No. She should allow him zero access to the savings account.
boshs1andonly
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Honestly, no. Even if dh had the means to, I wouldn't have asked him to wipe out my debt. Although while I was going to school he worked full time so he paid all the bills including my credit cards. At the same time, it creates a sticky situation, if he's got debt and she doesn't, how will they buy a house together? Will you just keep things separate until he pays it off? If you're married, what's the point of keeping it separate? I guess I could see both sides. But I wouldn't blame her for not wanting to do it. 

TiffanyRose06
by Queso<3 on Mar. 13, 2013 at 1:13 PM
If she wants to help him, that's on her. I mean I would help a little, but I wouldn't give up my whole savings. What if something happens? She'd need that money.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
NotAMuggle
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 1:14 PM

no

LadyF86
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 1:14 PM

NEVER!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)