Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

You are pushing your fears onto your poor children!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies

So my friend is one of those super paranoid annoying types. Outside of our difference in parenting styles, we get along great. We both know we disagree about things, so nothing is a shock.

ANYWAY, I told her a couple years ago that she was too paranoid. She brings them to the doctor/ER for every little thing, she blows things way out of proportion, etc. (She started to do this to my kids and I had to stop her).

Well, now her daughter is getting in trouble at school for the same thing. The teachers say every time she comes in and something is wrong with her, she blows it way out of proportion. She sprained her ankle and is walking like her foot fell off. She recently got a cold, and to "prevent her from losing her voice" she refused to speak. Things like this - ALL the time. And her mother has the audacity to scold her for acting this way - when she created this.

What a mess.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 13, 2013 at 4:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
divinedimension
by Not Miss Cleo on Mar. 13, 2013 at 4:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Yeah well what can ya do about it really? Let them live their lives , they'll figure it out.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jbirdsladie27
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 4:20 PM
This

Quoting divinedimension:

Yeah well what can ya do about it really? Let them live their lives , they'll figure it out.
Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Thats funny.  I was cleaning out a junk drawer and found a full copy of my son's medical records from birth to like 9months old.  LOL OMG I WAS A NUT!  

"He came with his mother, primary concern: abrasion to the chin from a fall"

"He came with his mother, primary concern: a swollen lip from falling forward from a sitting position into chair"

"He came with his mother, has dry skin and OTC lotions are not good enough"

"He came with his mother, primary concern: pooping excessively, brought diaper in and it was fowl smelling and loose, advised her to just monitor him."

"He came with his mother, primary concern: pimple on his buttox, not a rash"

I cant imitate medical jargon but things like that, I took him to the doctor for every single bump bruise, minor symptom everything!  I must have been in the doctors office every few months atleast!  

I got over it.  My son is almost 4 and I dont even remember the last time I took him to the doctor...I dont know what exactly changed me but now my attitude is more along the lines of "can you move it?  you are fine." lol...Probably all those office visits, they finally made me realize that children are not as delicate as I thought they were after being reassured so often he was fine.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:57 AM

UPDATE (possibly TMI):

Her oldest daughter (15) has had diahhrea for the past few days. She made a doctor's appointment and demanded that her daughter needs a blood test. Came back totally fine, she just has a stomach bug. Doctor's prescription: drink water, keep hydrated, monitor foods (and gave her a short list of foods to avoid)

AleaKat
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:01 AM
I saw a mom coming into the dr office cause her son had lightly scrapped his knee.

I can understand to a degree cause I know when my oldest was a baby I had no idea what I was doing and was so worried but I'd call mom or call into a nurse first before rushing in.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
zianneaaliyah
by 4ever LMFAO on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:05 AM

My fear about bugs has rubbed off on two of my kids.  25 years and the only people who have helped me want to get over my fear of them are my children. Seeing them so terrified broke my heart, especially when I know it's my fault. So now I try to act like bugs don't bother me, when really they scare the damn shit out of me, LMAO!

NoahandEliza
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:12 AM
I'm seriously laughing hysterically about the pooping too much and bringing the diaper in! My list probably looks very similar. Dd had croup when she was 3 months old, so everytime she got the slightest cough or sniffle, we were at the doctor. Everytime she scratched her ear, I swore it was an ear infection that needed to be checked. By the time she was 6 months old, I was best friends with one of the nurses. She's the one that got me to calm down, thank goodness.

Quoting Matriarch87:

Thats funny.  I was cleaning out a junk drawer and found a full copy of my son's medical records from birth to like 9months old.  LOL OMG I WAS A NUT!  

"He came with his mother, primary concern: a swollen lip from falling forward from a sitting position into chair"

"He came with his mother, primary concern: pooping excessively, brought diaper in and it was fowl smelling and loose, advised her to just monitor him."

I cant imitate medical jargon but things like that, I took him to the doctor for every single bump bruise, minor symptom everything!  I must have been in the doctors office every few months atleast!  

I got over it.  My son is almost 4 and I dont even remember the last time I took him to the doctor...I dont know what exactly changed me but now my attitude is more along the lines of "can you move it?  you are fine." lol...Probably all those office visits, they finally made me realize that children are not as delicate as I thought they were after being reassured so often he was fine.

Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:44 PM

I was laughing about it too!  I didn't realize I had his medical records printed, I must have done it when my doctor left town and had to make sure the new doc new everything from birth to like 9 months haha...I just was reading it all word for word and im like, "omg, who was this psycho woman!? lol"...I thought the little messages they wrote by my concerns were hilarious.  

I think it was my mil that got me to take it easy, certainly not my mother she is worse than I was she practically thought I was negligient because of the few things I didn't take him to the doctor for.  

I wont ever forget, my little boy was just crawling and starting to get mobile, it was summertime and I was visiting with my mother in law at her house.  We were at the bottom of her "stoop" that has only three very gradually inclined stairs.  I set my son at my feet to show off his new crawling ability.  He becomes interested in those stairs and puts just one of his hands on the bottom one, and then the other and is sorta sitting on his butt semi twisted holding his upper body up with the stair ready to move his legs around to get into a crawling position.  

I was like, "oh look irene, he is going to crawl!", I was just starting to bend down and put my hand behind him to prevent an accident and it just happened too fast, I just missed him.  My baby pushed too hard on the stairs and flung himself backwards onto the edge of the concrete sidewalk.  I heard his little brain rattle in his head, it was such a loud smack.  My son started screaming and I scooped him up.  

Even with all the times I took him to the doctor for little bumps and scrapes he never cried longer than a minute.  This time he was inconsolable...I freaked.  I felt a bump on the back of his head and I was all, "OMG irene you are an EMT, do something!  lets go to the ER!  Call the ambulance!"....She started laughing at me, bitch.  lol.  She was outright hysterically laughing at me.  As my baby was bawling I started bawling.  There I was bouncing him around on my chest pacing the sidewalk trying to calm him down telling him it was ok, as my voice was cracking and tears were rolling down my cheeks.  While my mil was standing next to me trying her best not to laugh like a hyena.  

Finally she apparently took pity on me and snatched him up, while saying, "he feeds off your emotion, you are freaking him out." and she started rubbing my back consoling both of us.  I was practically hyperventilating.  I didn't understand why she was taking this so lightly, my son fell, he has a big bump on his tender little head.  I was so angry at her and my heart was breaking for my baby.  I started thinking about what if something happened to him and I was just a big ol mess...just as I was catching my breathe my son started cooing again...he was fine...Irene checked his bump, and his eyes and she said he was fine.  That I could keep him awake for a few hours to be sure, but she didn't think it was necessary...

Thats definitely when it clicked with me that if a big ol smack on the cement like that isn't worthy of a doctor visit, ive been ridiculously over protective...We stopped going to the doctor so much lol.

Quoting NoahandEliza:

I'm seriously laughing hysterically about the pooping too much and bringing the diaper in! My list probably looks very similar. Dd had croup when she was 3 months old, so everytime she got the slightest cough or sniffle, we were at the doctor. Everytime she scratched her ear, I swore it was an ear infection that needed to be checked. By the time she was 6 months old, I was best friends with one of the nurses. She's the one that got me to calm down, thank goodness.

Quoting Matriarch87:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 19, 2013 at 1:22 PM

I think we're all like that with our firsts - at least for a little while. It's funny looking back now. I have 3 kids and had a 10 year streak - none ever broke a bone, needed stitches, etc.

Then my 10 year old breaks his friggin arm - at school. Needed pins, surgery, the whole 9 yards. There went my streak - pins, stitches, broken bone, cast...

THAT was scary as hell though. You never know just how much strength you have as a mom until you are scared as hell, but need to be strong and confident for your child. Had my brave mom-face on until they wheeled him out the door. Then I sobbed like a freakin lunatic. You'd think they just told me he has a terminal illness or something!

Quoting Matriarch87:

I was laughing about it too!  I didn't realize I had his medical records printed, I must have done it when my doctor left town and had to make sure the new doc new everything from birth to like 9 months haha...I just was reading it all word for word and im like, "omg, who was this psycho woman!? lol"...I thought the little messages they wrote by my concerns were hilarious.  

I think it was my mil that got me to take it easy, certainly not my mother she is worse than I was she practically thought I was negligient because of the few things I didn't take him to the doctor for.  

I wont ever forget, my little boy was just crawling and starting to get mobile, it was summertime and I was visiting with my mother in law at her house.  We were at the bottom of her "stoop" that has only three very gradually inclined stairs.  I set my son at my feet to show off his new crawling ability.  He becomes interested in those stairs and puts just one of his hands on the bottom one, and then the other and is sorta sitting on his butt semi twisted holding his upper body up with the stair ready to move his legs around to get into a crawling position.  

I was like, "oh look irene, he is going to crawl!", I was just starting to bend down and put my hand behind him to prevent an accident and it just happened too fast, I just missed him.  My baby pushed too hard on the stairs and flung himself backwards onto the edge of the concrete sidewalk.  I heard his little brain rattle in his head, it was such a loud smack.  My son started screaming and I scooped him up.  

Even with all the times I took him to the doctor for little bumps and scrapes he never cried longer than a minute.  This time he was inconsolable...I freaked.  I felt a bump on the back of his head and I was all, "OMG irene you are an EMT, do something!  lets go to the ER!  Call the ambulance!"....She started laughing at me, bitch.  lol.  She was outright hysterically laughing at me.  As my baby was bawling I started bawling.  There I was bouncing him around on my chest pacing the sidewalk trying to calm him down telling him it was ok, as my voice was cracking and tears were rolling down my cheeks.  While my mil was standing next to me trying her best not to laugh like a hyena.  

Finally she apparently took pity on me and snatched him up, while saying, "he feeds off your emotion, you are freaking him out." and she started rubbing my back consoling both of us.  I was practically hyperventilating.  I didn't understand why she was taking this so lightly, my son fell, he has a big bump on his tender little head.  I was so angry at her and my heart was breaking for my baby.  I started thinking about what if something happened to him and I was just a big ol mess...just as I was catching my breathe my son started cooing again...he was fine...Irene checked his bump, and his eyes and she said he was fine.  That I could keep him awake for a few hours to be sure, but she didn't think it was necessary...

Thats definitely when it clicked with me that if a big ol smack on the cement like that isn't worthy of a doctor visit, ive been ridiculously over protective...We stopped going to the doctor so much lol.

Quoting NoahandEliza:

Quoting Matriarch87:

Hot_Badonkadonk
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 1:24 PM

My SIL is that way with my twin nieces. They over exaggerate everything. Drives me and my Mom crazy, lol.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN